Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Electrocuted or NOT Electrocuted

Good Morning Arizona!!  Only because it gets lighter there sooner than here.  The weather could not be better, but I hear there are storm clouds on the horizon for this winter.  That means there will be gutter cleaning sometime soon.  My plan is to hire someone to clean the solar panels, and ask them to clean the gutters at the same time.  I'll use my best "I'm afraid of ladders" excuse.

SO ... it was paper signing day.  This is a pretty cool service.  The Title Company has a list of mobile notaries in the area.  You get their name, their picture and even the car they drive.  My appointment wasn't until 11:00, so I did a little sewing.  

I've learned my lesson in the past with these complicated patterns.  I try to lay everything out first to be sure I get the correct fabric in the correct place.  Ripping one of these things apart can be detrimental to your sanity.


This section only has four squares.  I already spent two hours cutting out the pieces for those four.  I worked at it for five hours yesterday and didn't even finish the one square above.  It still needs to be sewn together.  This is the pile of scrapes from those two squares you see.  Maybe I'll finish it before I die!!!


There was a knock at the door.  IT'S THE NOTARY!!  Wow ... the paperwork ... and it's not nearly as bad as California paperwork.  It's crazy the wording they use.  Why in the heck don't they just write it down in plain English, instead of "there has been no period of non qualified use (as per section blah blah blah) after December 31 2008, as required by section blah blah that the amount is excludable under section blah blah!"  True or False.  No kidding, we had to look up every section on the internet to see what the heck it said so I would know how to answer it.  CRAZY!!!  And that was the EASY one!!

The second big problem was the wiring instructions.  There were three separate sections, but only TWO to fill out on the papers.  Thankfully the sweet girl was patient enough to let me call everyone involved to find out what to do.  Finally, over an hour later, she was off!  YAY!!!  I thought I would feel relief, but it wasn't forthcoming.  Maybe when it's all said and done.

Onward and upward ... Bob called after lunch for a chat about this outlet.  He's trying to get his phone service and his new fancy phone figured out and I'm trying to fix this outlet.  He said I wouldn't get electrocuted, that he would teach me how to replace it.  I wasn't feeling it at all, but grabbed my tools and we went to work.


He told me what to do every step of the way.  It took awhile because I had to do so much of it left handed, kneeling on the hard-as-a-rock floor because this outlet is on the side of the kitchen island.  At long last I got the outlet disconnected.

That's where I got to laughing so hard I couldn't even talk.  I asked what the little black paper things were on the screws.  Oh ... just to hold them in place so they don't fall out before you buy it.  But this one doesn't have that.  "What's holding it on" he asked.  I started laughing.  I don't know what got into me, but I didn't want to tell him ... a piece of scotch tape I put there because I lost the black thingy!!  


Anyway ... I wasn't the least bit comfortable with all those wires sticking out, but I continued.  I finally got them hooked on to the new outlet, but had a terrible time getting it all stuffed BACK in the box.  Finally ... success!  I put the cover back on, flipped the breaker and plugged the fan back in.  It worked!!  No sparks or fire came exploding out the holes!  NOT electrocuted on this day.


Is it fixed now?  I have no idea.  The test will be plugging in my computer all night long to see if any of the blue stuff appears on the plug.  So far it seems to be okay because both the fan and my watch charger are at least working.  I'll let you know tomorrow.

As for today ... I'll be sewing a bit, then resting up for another fabulous night of BINGO!!!!!




11 comments:

  1. Good morning California! Just starting to get light out and 72 on my patio. Great news regarding your house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it nice?? This is my favorite time of year.

      Delete
  2. Nancy that is great Bob walked you through the process of replacing the plug ! You go Girl !!!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding ... I never would have done it otherwise!

      Delete
  3. Nancy that quilt is gorgeous!
    So happy you got paperwork signed!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait until you see the quilt finished. It's a stunner!

      Delete
  4. Good job Nancy. Was Bob able to watch you do this, or was it just oral instructions??? Also wondering if the black wire was a bit loose, in the picture it looks a bit dirtier than the white one...a loose wire can cause that problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did set her up for video, but we didn't need it. Although, in the big laugh, I wish I had it on as I couldn't figure out what that was about until she could talk again. :O) She had tightened up the wires the day before by herself so I can't say about that. The white wire she had trouble getting it on the screw because the insulation needed to be trimmed back which she did, without cutting herself, so it might have been that screw was not tight enough. You can see that on the white wire.
      Bobseyes

      Delete
    2. I'm surprised I didn't either cut my finger off or get a nice big shock. We were set up on Google Meet, but didn't use it. Obviously to me he has done this MANY times before.

      Delete
  5. Way to go Nancy. Now you're a qualified electrician 😃. Glad all is moving forward with sale of the home. I spent the day dealing with Medicare Prescription plans. No fun, but I'm done for 2024.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well not really "qualified" ... LOL. Those medicare plans can be a real pain. Glad you got THAT figured out!!!

      Delete