Sunday, October 15, 2023

The Eclipse Is Eclipsing

 I love photography.  There's nothing more challenging than trying to capture nature's critters.  Another of the subjects right at the top of the list is a solar eclipse.  There's a big one coming next year if you live in Texas, so this one was good practice.

I had my gear set up at 8:00 am.  At my location, it was supposed to begin at 9:30 they said.  They were wrong!!  Let's take a few test shots first.  I mean really, who could possibly remember exactly what settings worked last time.  


There's a ridiculous number of possibilities, so let's start here.  This is actually the night before, so I would be prepared ... like Nancy the Girl Scout.  Trouble is, I was NEVER a Girl Scout.  I got a little worried when I saw all the clouds.  I may not see the eclipse at all.


Kind of cool the way the clouds looked.


The trouble with the sun is you can't look at it.  It's too darn bright for one, and for another, apparently you will go blind.  I heard Girl Scouts need to be prepared, so I purchased ten pair of little glasses that don't even begin to fit your face.  You have to hold them in place.  That doesn't work when you're moving four buttons on your camera.  This was my first shot of the sun.  Weird, that little cloud hanging out there.


That's when I remembered ... MY FILTERS!  I scrounged through my backpack bag looking for them.  What a surprise when I found THE piece of filter paper meant just for this occasion.  YAY I'm in like Flynn.  Or not, because it's only a flimsy piece of plastic that has to be held in place with a rubber band. 

Do you think I could find a rubber band?  Of course not ..... because I threw all of them away while cleaning out my desk because I NEVER use them!!  At last, after looking three times, I found one in my kitchen drawer.  And we're OFF!!  


Trouble is, that filter now changes ALL the settings.  No worries I thought, I've got an hour until it starts to happen.  WRONG!!  It began here at 8:20.  The cool part is the filter lets me look through the camera lens without the little glasses.  Above was my first image and I knew it wasn't right.  More and more adjustments until at last I was happy with what I was seeing.

I set my timer to go off every 5 minutes so I could run outside and snap another picture.  I think in all I got about 40 images.  I'm pretty sure you wouldn't even notice there was an eclipse if you didn't have those glasses to look through.  

Two hours of editing later, I had all the images together in one photo.  This is another one of those memory problems.  When you only do this once every ten years or so, it's hard to remember just how to do it.  It was interesting to see the third one from the right.  Through the camera lens, it looked like mountains on the sun.  


It did get a little hectic around here, since while the last of the pictures were being taken I remembered I was out of bread.  I tossed everything in the machine and hit the GO button.  Ummm yeah Nancy ... see how close that machine is to the edge of the counter?  

Lucky for me I came running back in just in time.  It fell right into my hands.  How lucky could I be??  That knead cycle really rocks and rolls!!  Disaster averted!


Oh my gosh .... there's just nothing like the smell of fresh bread baking.  I even threw in some sunflower seeds for good measure.  I'm anxious to experiment with English muffin bread next.


It turned out to be a gorgeous fairly cool day with lots of sunshine.  I tried sitting out for awhile, but couldn't stand the thought of the mess in the house.  I was back organizing ... okay, lets face it ... I was back hiding stuff in every corner and cupboard I could find!!!  I'll rearrange it later ... maybe in another ten years!!!







22 comments:

  1. My bread maker walked into the kitchen sink once and now I always put it on the floor before starting it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so surprised ... I've never had it do that before!! I'll be more careful from now on.

      Delete
  2. Pictures look awesome!
    Bread looks awesome!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. You did good with the pictures. I didn't know bread machines had a personality and could walk! Good catch with the bread machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elva! Yes they do get a little "active" when kneading. I had to put my instant pot in front of it.

      Delete
  4. Awesome pictures of the Eclipse Nancy. I never would have thought about putting them together in one picture like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only done it once, and only because I saw it in a magazine. Kinda cool I think.

      Delete
  5. Your photographic skills are awesome. The eclipse shot is amazing!
    Ok, do i need to buy another bread machine? Lol that looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's delicious!!! Surprisingly this bread doesn't bother my stomach at all. Not all the additives I guess, and my recipe book has 30-some recipes.

      Delete
  6. Just to get back at you, we're having pancakes and maple syrup for supper tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NOOOOOOO .... not fair .... but just read today's blog! LOL

      Delete
  7. Best pictures ever. So glad, I was able to see it through your lense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Doug ... it's pretty fun to photograph it.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done! I'm impressed with the series. We were a wee bit far from the complete "ring of fire" but it was pretty weird outside anyway. I'm waiting, and have had driving 60 miles or so next April scheduled with a friend so we can see what "totality" is like. Not even a ring of fire......

      Delete
    2. It's pretty cool Judith. When I was in Oregon, we got the diamond ring effect. It was weird how dark it got at mid day. You're going to love it in April!

      Delete
    3. You're welcome for the photos. It's always fun to see if I can get the camera settings right.

      Delete
  9. Well, I do echo what Anonymous said, but I was writing to you. I guess you can tell. Duh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's hard to tell if I am responding to someone else or the original post. Lots of times it comes out nowhere near where I typed it! LOL

      Delete
  10. Awesome eclipse shots! I wonder what people thought about that hundreds or thousands of years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a full eclipse, I imagine they thought the world was coming to an end. This one ... unless you had glasses (at least at this location) you wouldn't have noticed a change at all. In Texas next year, they will probably think they are all going to die!!

      Delete