Tuesday, February 8, 2022

It Was Perfect!!!

The operative word here is WAS.  Or maybe WOULD HAVE BEEN!!  The video shows how my day began with a big fat CLUNK!!  Not much can be seen with the camera facing the ground. 


To make it all better, I decided to make pancakes.  I've been craving them ever since Patsy and Bill made some for me in Quartzsite.  Not really knowing HOW to make them, I picked up a box of this mix.  It says right on the box ... pancakes!!


Here's just another reason I could use a man around the house.  They make MUCH better pancakes than I ever could.  I'm pretty sure I've never made them before, and it showed.  Sadly the syrup, even though I poured it on like a champ, didn't take away the rather burnt flavor.  I'm not sure if the black crunchy bits were the pancakes or part of my plastic spatula that melted to the pan.  It went in the trash can.


That's when I got the call.  The Chance family has a new grandson ... how could I possibly pass THAT up. I think they said he's an Aussie shepherd, but I was so overcome with cuteness I didn't confirm that.  His name is Caspean.  As you can see, it was sleepy time!!  Sure makes you want to get a puppy!!


However, knowing how much extra work they are, I went back home to my quilting machine that only requires a drop of oil here and there.  It was perfect, this quilt.  The butterflies a nice addition to the flowery fabric.  I'm proud to say it went like clockwork.  

That's when the WAS part came in.  That last row got me again, but this time it wasn't the machine's fault. The neighbors were probably wondering why they heard NOOOOOOOO screamed from the mountain top.


Even though I checked, I had put the backing on sideways.  I even measured.  That means it was too short to finish off the perfect quilt.  BIG SIGH about eleven times!!!  Not to be deterred, I quilted the last row short and cut off the side fabric, adding a section to the backing.

Then I cut a piece of batting and stitched it together so the border would be fluffy and not wimpy.


The only problem is the lack of quilting on that 3" side the entire length.  TRIPLE RATS!!!  Yes I could probably put it back on the machine and do some squiggly line down the side, but I'm not going to.  My enthusiasm went right out the door!!  At least I'm happy these things happen on quilts that are not my favorites.


And so the PERFECT quilting job has eluded me still.  Sniff sniff!!  I guarantee that THAT problem will not happen again!!  

Instead of ice cream to sooth my bruised ego, I dove into an entire casserole dish of scalloped potatoes!  It does look rather weird in this picture, but boy was it GOOD!!!


In the meantime, I'm still waiting to hear from the insurance companies I called for quotes.  It seems they are all still working from home, as barking dogs and kids are in the background.  It's so frustrating that no one actually answers the phone any more!!  I've never been through so many recorded messages.  Apparently not having secretaries saves them money.

Today if the wind stays down, I'll dump the RV tanks.  It's not something I'm looking forward to.  I don't mind the dumping, it's the backing up around the corner when I get back home.  I'm hoping it goes better than my quilting!!


6 comments:

  1. And you think cute little puppies are a pain 💩. That quilting machine must be a close second 🙂. Sounds like you're getting closer to perfection and that's good. Just takes practice I guess. I must say the cassarole looks more like a pancake should. Just needs practice. I'm sure having a man around would be a BIG pain in the neck 😁. Why do you think Dolly sends me away every winter? 🤣.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pancakes look good to me! Of course I like most things a little darker than most LOL. Ken loves scalloped potatoes, he'd gobble those right up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We still use Carbquik in place of flour or other mixes. I make good pancakes with it. 1 1/3 cup Carbquik, 1 egg, 2 tbl melted butter, 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream, and water to whatever consistency you want. Also use HungryJack Sugar Free Syrup warmed in small container in micro with some frozen berries. YUMMY STUFF! hint: have to be sure the grill or frying pan is hot, right around medium high. drop small amount of water on it and if the water dances, it is just right. also be sure pan/grill is oiled, I use butter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that I have ever seen Carbquik at the store. I'll look for up. You make it sound delicious!!!

      Delete