Thursday, February 3, 2022

A Hiccup or Two

 There's been more than a hiccup or two in the last couple of months, but thankfully, nothing that couldn't be quickly passed over.  You just have to learn to roll with the punches.  You would think that by MY age, I would be an expert.

This morning I'm typing as fast as possible since the plumber is coming at 7:00.  I'm rarely moving around much by that time, so this morning has to be fast and furious!!  

I have only ever heard about how hard quilting is, which is why I have always left it to the experts.  But as you know, I LOVE a challenge ... and this is a big one!  Please overlook the ugliness of this quilt.  It was a quick way to use up a lot of leftover fabric.  It makes me cringe every time I look at it, which is why it was one of the first I would finish, you know, so all the mistakes would be on one doggie quilt.


Actually, it's the third practice one, and although I had some issues, it came out pretty nice.  The biggest problem is running out of bobbin thread.  It doesn't tell you ... it just keeps stitching.  So far I've been lucky enough to never leave the side of the machine, so I can catch it.  Getting the computer back to the point where it stopped so it will continue on with the pattern, is a challenge.  As with any piece of machinery, you are constantly listening to the sounds ... the motor, the needle, the movement.


Although this one looks pretty good, it was done strip by strip instead of the entire quilt at once.  Hopefully you won't notice the last strip is rather squished in there.  I have since learned how to quilt it as one whole piece.


And yes, every one so far has used the same pattern because I couldn't find anything in the 900 patterns I have that I thought fit this quilt.  That is a problem!


Even with a hiccup or two, it was a good day as the weather dropped some wet stuff and the temperatures started to drop.  It's 26 degrees right now with two more mornings requiring big heavy coats before it warms up.  Brrrrrrrrr!!

I'm happy to say the game camera works in the chilly weather, but I was so sad to see Mom Bobcat limping back down the hill.  I hope she caught that meal!!  I would show you more videos, but 15 images of bunnies running back and forth by the water is just too much!!  My my those little guys are active!!


Here's hoping my plumber is a master at unblocking drain clogs.  I do love to have handy men around the house, even if I have to pay them!!!


10 comments:

  1. Perhaps Mr. Bobcat had a run in with a Coyote family???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the plumber. How many quilts can you finish in a day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That depends entirely on just how many things go wrong!

      Delete
  3. That is quite the production you have going on. You will master this machine without a doubt. Can you wind the bobbins in your sewing machine? In the future they might invent a device that will alert you to the ending of the bobbin while quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually will alert you to low thread, but you have to "record" your use first ... which I haven't done. I'm going to try that today.

      Delete
  4. Fingers crossed for good luck with the plumber. Perhaps he's a cutie patootie which will make for even nicer entertainment. :) I happen to really like that first quilt! Mom used to make many that just used up material and none of it matched but we loved the randomness of them. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Patsy ... Gibbs may just have himself a new blanket!!!

      Delete
  5. You are doing awesome! Hope the plumbing is an easy fix for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley ... I hope YOU guys are doing okay. What a disaster!!!

      Delete