Wednesday, February 16, 2022

I'm Confident ... Sort Of!

This gal, or maybe it's a guy, has to be one of my favorites.  Last season there were three of them, but I imagine they went their own ways since they were grown.  This winter I've only seen this one raccoon.  Did you know that over two thirds of the sensory processing power of a raccoon's brain is dedicated to it's sense of touch?

Come to find out, they really are not washing their little hands after all.  They have over ten times the number of nerve endings as a human hand.  During the days while looking for food, they develop a thin barrier, kind of like a callous.  Dipping their paws in water softens it so they can feel so intensely that they can tell what they are eating.  They explore and memorize the food, savoring it's texture so they can better identify it next time.  Weird, yeah?? 


There were four coyotes at the water on this night, each one sniffing around where I had dumped some greasy water, before getting their fill of fresh water.  This is one of the younger kids.  Every morning I get the biggest kick out of checking the game camera.  I'm confident they will always come back.


I'm also getting pretty confident about this quilting thing.  Here's a new pattern that I really like ... not that I have much use for hearts since I don't make valentine quilts, but it came out very nice on this one.  I absolutely love quilting, so I'm glad I didn't throw the thing out the window.  I even left it while I ran the vacuum, an amazing accomplishment for me.  The vacuum I mean!  Well, the plumber is coming this morning, so I needed to clean up.

I estimate that I've saved almost $2,000 so far, just by quilting my own stuff.  Hopefully I live long enough to save what it cost me!!!  


In between rows, I even felt confident enough to leave it alone and take Cooper out for a walk.  He's definitely the confident one in this house.  I lost count of the number of times he marked HIS territory.  

While out, Patty called about a quick trip to Green Valley for a little more fabric.  I stuffed my wallet as deep in my purse as I could and off we went.


I was confident ... sort of ... that I wouldn't buy any more.  I have way too many quilts to work on as it is.  Amazingly, I came back with NO fabric.  It was a shock to my system, but I quieted it down by finally finishing the binding on this quilt.  There's nothing like spending eight hours hand sewing to curb that appetite for MORE hand sewing.


I'm trying my very best to be confident that the Plumber, arriving at 9:00 this morning, will find no major problems other than a clean-out valve that needs replacing.  To be honest, I don't think there even IS a valve there but just a hole in the pipe.  We shall see.

In the meantime, I'm putting junk away so the house looks neat and tidy.  You never know, the plumber might be single ......... yeah, well really, I'm not the least bit confident about THAT!!


16 comments:

  1. Yesterday the plumbers removed the dishwasher, disposal, sewer lines and replaced four shut-off valves in kitchen, today someone comes and takes out the existing counters and cabinets. Tomorrow is the day we have been waiting for!

    Good luck with the plumber...finding your stoppage that is (remember, he has a family!) lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited to see your remodel. Be sure and post pictures!!

      Delete
  2. Interesting tidbit about the raccoons paws! Love that last quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought they washed their food to make it easier to eat ... like parrots ... but that wasn't so. Funny little creatures!!

      Delete
  3. I agree about the raccoons paws! Hopefully it's an easy, quick inexpensive fix for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way off topic
    something you really need to try If u like your air fryer
    Easy to use easy to clean and very inexpensive. Steak and chicken almost no clean up
    Check it out on YouTube video air fryer paper disposable liners

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be sure and let us know if the plumber finds some tin foil over a homemade cleanout hole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're going to laugh when you see today's blog!! LOL

      Delete
  6. Confidence is very important. 😊
    Love your little critter videos, the quilts, and hope the plumber is smart and good at his job, if not single.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm only truly confident about death and taxes!!! LOL
      You are right ... I prefer plumbers who are good at their job!

      Delete
  7. Hoping everything worked out with the plumbing problems! I learned something new today about the raccoon paws. I hadn't known that before!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either Betty!! Just goes to show how fascinating wildlife is.

      Delete
  8. I also didn't know about raccoon paws. I enjoy you night videos too. I absolutely love your quilts and sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Loree!!! Most times life is so crazy you HAVE to laugh!!!

      Delete