Monday, February 14, 2022

Happy Valentine's Day!!

A very good morning to you, and Happy Valentine's Day!!   I hope your sweetheart receives something sweet on this nice Arizona day.  We are supposed to be all the way up to 78 degrees.  WOOHOO!!

It's also someone's birthday today, so HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!  You know who you are, and I doubt you want it splashed all over the internet, but CONGRATULATIONS!


My first happening of the day was making cookies.  What better way to celebrate than with peanut butter cookies.  I usually fill them full of peanut butter chips, but alas, white chocolate was all I could find.  This is a big sugar rush in three bites!!


In between baking pans, I was obligated to play the ball game.  Imagine doing this 50 times a day.  He has me SO well trained.  I have to admit, it's sure fun seeing that excited little face peeking over the coffee table waiting for the ball to bounce!!


One more quilt went on the frame, but this time along with a big chunk of wool batting.  It's about 3/8" thick, compared to the other 1/8" thin stuff.  As you an imagine, they probably don't use much wool in Arizona, but I really like the puffier quilting.  Add to that it's not much heavier, and I think I have my go-to for batting.  

For those who asked, yes you can sew the binding on to the quilt with the machine, but it's very hard to make an exact straight line.  For me, it never looks as nice or as neat as doing it by hand.  Probably no one would notice but me!!  It's that perfectionist in me that I wish would go away!!!


And then there was that football game yesterday.  It's funny how there is still a mask mandate in California, but they ignored it completely when it came to the Super Bowl.  No threats nor proof of vaccine, just to prove how crazy that whole thing has been.  I didn't really watch the game, I was only interested in the commercials.  They were the worst I've ever seen ... for REAL!

WAY too many electric car commercials ... several that required you know who all those people were (which I'm sure most did not) ... finally a Budweiser Clydesdale commercial, sadly nothing compared to them kicking a football or knocking snow from a tree.  Apparently laughter in a commercial is a no-no nowadays.  

As for the half time show, there certainly wasn't much diversity, but at least they let the old folks jump up on stage and sing something I couldn't quite understand.  I think the Rams won, but to be honest, I turned it off.  As much as I love a good game, the NFL doesn't seem to respect our flag, so I don't respect them much in return.

As to the foray into chicken and waffles, I made chicken tenders in my air fryer.  Let me say there's nothing like deep fried greasy chicken, which these were not.  They came out okay ... crispy even ... but I missed the flavor.


Miss Patty whipped up some waffles, on top of which I dropped a couple pieces of chicken and smothered it in Log Cabin syrup.  It's not the most flavorful syrup, but it was the smallest bottle.  Not bad actually!!  I may just have to have this for breakfast this morning.  Definitely better than those pancakes I made!  Truly, I was spoiled by the bottle of maple syrup I picked up in Vermont (which is gone now) and the real maple syrup Patsy and Bill had for their pancakes.


For dessert, I just piled strawberries on the rest of the waffle, along with a liberal coating of what else ... syrup!!  My sweet tooth was happy!!


Today is going to be a busy one!  I'm cancelling my Safeco insurance and going with State Farm, then I'm calling the plumber to see if they can fit me in this week.  THEN ... it's a trip to the fabric store because when it's your birthday, you get a big 25% off!!!  It used to be half your age, upwards of 35% for us old folk, but the new owner found out she was losing lots of money because most all quilters are old as dirt.

I hope it's a good week filled with lots of Happy Dances for you and me!!


9 comments:

  1. Birthday discount? Whoop, whoop! Hope you have a great day. The commercials were the worst, the game turned out how I hoped.

    I have never had chicken and waffles but would like to try them someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for any discounts we can get. What I want to know is what Barb got for Valentines Day!! I think a huge chunk of chicken fried in 4" of oil would be great, as long as you have enough syrup!!! It really was good!!

      Delete
  2. The food all looks good and tasty.
    Haven't watched a game in decades.
    Those Quilts will definitely keep you warm at night.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even just sitting around in 30 degree Tucson weather, the quilts will be warm!!

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday???? Tricky girl.
    Love the little video of Cooper!❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should have sent you off with some of that real syrup!

      Delete
    2. Oh you are so sweet ... maybe next year!! I think Costco even carries it!

      Delete
  4. I think birthday wishes are in order, so happy birthday! As you probably know, it is also Arizona's birthday. 110 years old!

    Thanks for the report about the chicken and waffles :)

    Our corgi loves to play fetch with pretty much anything he brings for us to throw (squeaky toy, tennis ball, rope toy, bully bone, etc). One time last year outside I counted how many times he brought the tennis ball back to me to throw. I stopped at 136 times. It was getting late and a little cold outside otherwise he would have continued playing. Good exercise though!

    Glad you made your decision about the insurance and changing it. Cookies look yummy!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know about Arizona's birthday. I'll remember that now!! Me thinks your Corgi is just as crazy as my Cooper. Boy does he love it when you throw the ball. Next time I'm going to count, but I don't think he will beat your record!

      Delete