Sunday, February 6, 2022

I'm Seeing RED!

 Whoever turned the switch OFF, thank you so much!!  The wind finally subsided, making for a nice quiet night!!  It's only 36 this morning and I'm happy to report I don't see any water dripping from under my rig from broken pipes.  YAY!!!!!

I did finally retrieve photos from the game camera, to see my favorite guys (or gals) digging in the water.  I actually think there were two, but at different times.  The three seen previously seem to have broken up their little group.  I just love these critters and certainly never expected to see them in the desert!!


They did have a little trouble digging in the ice, but this time they were early enough to catch it melted.


Finally up and running ... still listening to the crazy wind ... I donned my biggest coat in order to remove the propane tank from the rig and have it filled.  I bought tie-downs for this job, but apparently you need MAN hands, because once I got it set up, I couldn't get it to release.  Don't ask where it went.   I went back to my trusty yellow rope.


It turned out to be $2.71 a gallon.  I don't know if that's a good price or not since I've only filled them once.  I think I have finally regained most of my strength.  Although it was a struggle, I got it out of the truck and into the hole in the rig, after a lot of grunting and one bad word.  No doubt the other one will need propane soon, but hopefully it will warm up enough I can turn the heater off.


With that out of the way, I put another quilt on the frame and tried out a new pattern.  This one follows lines already quilted quite often, meaning it was a thread user extraordinaire.  I love the pattern, but fussed the entire time knowing I was going to run out.  Sure enough ..... every single row I had to fill a new bobbin.  

I have taken to heart the tip from Ray Warner about quilting ... buy TWO spools of thread, one for the machine and one for making bobbins.  I had to remove the thread, go over to the bobbin winder, fill a bobbin or two, then rethread the machine.  


It took an entire bobbin to do just one row.  There are six rows!!  I was seeing RED in no time.  Still, I'm happy to say it went really well until the very last row.  Even though I reset the machine five times, it was just tired and being stubborn at the end.  Not as stubborn as me however, since I finally got it done with literally three feet of thread left over.


Yes, I ordered more thread today, along with my previous order that hasn't arrived yet.  I'm going to be thread poor, but at least I won't run out!!  Prefilled bobbins are also on order, just to make it easier on myself.

So now the big marathon of hand sewing begins while I bind the edges of the six I've done so far.  Cooper will love that part because he can sit right beside me on the couch.  Maybe I'll even take a break to get groceries, since the cupboards are bare.  Quilting can be time consuming, but I love the challenge!!


10 comments:

  1. Love that red and white, those are my colors!! :) I think $2.71 is darn good pricing in my opinion! Enjoy your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the red too ... and the white thread shows the quilting really nicely.

      Delete
  2. It really looks nice Nancy. Now, is there anyway to 'fool' it by telling the machine there are 7 rows, then after 6 rows are done you can cancel the last row? (since it is always your 'last row' that is challenging you)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah .... I just might try that!! I can make it think it's as big as I want. Good idea!!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful quilt. I would be climbing a wall. That’s why there are people like you who enjoy it. You are a very talented person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you Rita!!! I was on the ceiling for a bit there, but I'm getting it little by little!!

      Delete
  4. I don't want to jinx you, but it looks like you are getting the upper hand on that machine!

    We struggle with our propane tanks as well. Those buggers weigh 60lbs when full and we have to lift ours to shoulder height to get them into the camper. I like to see $1.99/gallon but have not seen that for quite a while. I know someplaces are over $4!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shoulder height? No way. I would definitely be in trouble. In the back of my mind I think I paid $3.00 in California. Arizona is of course cheaper!

      Delete
  5. That machine seems to be doing what you ask of it. You have the knack.
    Live the red and white quilt. Canada colors. 🇨🇦

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is ... Oh Canada!! It might just be the stubbornness ... LOL! I'm so excited about the recent news from up there.

      Delete