Tuesday, October 5, 2021

WORK WORK WORK!!!

Anyone remember ALF?  The fuzzy alien from TV land?  Every time I walked by these sunflowers yesterday, that's what came to mind.  It was definitely NOT what I expected.  Thinking I had a day off, I lounged around, not getting far from the living room couch.  Then I got the call.  The 11-6 pumpkin selling - mum selling girls would require training.  Ugh ... okay, at least I won't have to walk far, right? 


How wrong I was.  Another 6.4 miles added to the tally.  It seems the night guy who does all the cleaning, decided he didn't have enough time to dump any trash or clean up any concrete areas.  This place that has a reputation for being spotless, was a big mess after Sunday night.  

I spent the next 3 hours blowing off the dirt and almond hulls, then washing down the entire concrete area to remove 20 or so sno-cone drops.  I could have had the girl do it, but at that age, these kids don't know how to work fast or efficiently.  Next time I'll crack the whip and make them do it.


I tried to sit as much as possible when the boss wasn't looking.  My plan now is to shift my transmission into a lower gear and practice my PLOD.  Surely if I go much slower, I won't put on as many miles and my feet will be happier.  If I survive, I'll be strong as an ox!!


As you can tell, the sunflowers are in bloom.  Who knew there were so many different kinds?  Apparently a sunflower is not just a sunflower.  Thankfully they are all on drip irrigation so these don't become something I have to supervise!!


I made a quick trip out to check on the goats.  Okay, that's a lie.  I went out to the barn so I could hide while sitting down on a bale of hay.  I felt a little guilty, but hey ..... I'm old!!


We finally finished cleaning just before the heat got to me.  Another 95 degree humid day with barely breathable air.  We seem to be getting smoke from another fire.  The good thing was we had very few customers, giving the one girl time to reload all the pumpkin bins and get things in ship shape.  When we sold 150 to one customer, she had to start all over again.


I took a quick break inside with the AC on high before the meeting of the minds.  Mine didn't really work so good since my feet were screaming bloody murder.  Rather distracting!!  A plan of action was decided upon, which means more work for me, or for the kids really, but I'm responsible for making them do it.  Empty all the trash at the end of the night.  I'm sure they will love that!!


This is what Cooper and I looked like two minutes after getting home.  Exhausted would be a good word.  Advil is my friend!!!  I'll be back at it today, but just for two hours.  I told them I absolutely HAD to have Tuesday's off for the Magic Kingdom, where at least I will be sitting down all night!!

I'll leave you with a smoky weird sun as I got home.  It was like my neighbors were burning their trash again, only worse!!  Today it should cool off and clear up.  YAY!!



6 comments:

  1. Don’t forget to take Benadryl for the swelling with your Advil friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunflowers are beautiful, they always make me smile! 150 Pumpkins who could want that many!? Had to be a pretty penny too. Hopefully you don't stuck over your 2 hours, but bet that doesn't happen :) We're socked in for the las two days from the fire in Sequoia NP..guessing that's where yours is coming from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually those were little pumpkins for a kids group, $150. Not bad for a kids craft project. Last I heard the smoke was coming from the Fresno area. It was awful!!!

      Delete
  3. We have been getting those 'orange looking' evening suns too due to the smoke. This 'smoke' is much different than last month...this one does not smell, and is not as thick as when the fires by Tahoe and Lassen were. Perhaps we will get a bit of rain soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't notice the smoke until I walked outside after being in the small air conditioned office. It was pretty bad. Sure hoping for cooler weather!!

      Delete