Sunday, October 10, 2021

Another One For The Books

 Once upon a time, as I hobbled through the corn field .... no wait, that's another story, although I am hobbling quite nicely.  Even with my extra cushy marathon tennis shoes, my little muscles aren't the least bit happy with me.  I must remember to take my Gatorade today.

Here's one of the little kid run around places on the property.  The hay maze is made for little legs.  You might be surprised at the number who cannot get from one end to the other.  Added to my list of things to keep up with is putting the bales back where they belong after the big kids try to change the pattern.


I can tell you that kids today are nothing like when I was young.  They run, yell, scream, fight, roll around on the ground and basically act like spoiled brats, which they are.  Parents nowadays have no control whatsoever and just let them run wild.  I spend a lot of time disciplining kids!!

On the other hand, this is a place any parent can bring their special needs child for a day outside having fun. We specialize in taking care of them.  The first ten minutes of the day had a 12 year old taking his clothes off on the Barnyard Bounce.  Dad rushed in and we helped him off, but just until he put his shirt back on.  Then it was back to bouncing.  

Here's one of the picture-taking spots.  They are located around the property and are very popular for wedding photos.  We have even had a few weddings out here.  

This is the Time Travel Tractor.  I don't know who had the brilliant idea to take old airport baggage carts and make them into train cars, but it works perfectly.  These carts were made to track very well, and so are perfect for tight turns and corners.  

My love of tractor driving is what got me started out here several years ago.  


It was completely full all day long.  We were packed to the brim with maybe 2,000 visitors.  That's a lot for an old tiny dairy farm turned amusement park.  UNTIL ...... oh no!!  I HAVE A FLAT TIRE!!!  How does that happen?  In less than ten minutes, they had a 3 ton jack, a new tire and were on the way to screaming kids.

This ride includes a mining scene with a mine and waterfall, complete with dynamite blasting off in the water, back in time to an Indian village with a real teepee, then on to dinosaur-land with an exploding volcano.  No kidding, there are probably 25 life-sized dinosaurs prowling around the back, making the kids scream.  I'm not sure if they are happy or scared.  People love it!!  I'll post a few pictures later.


This old wagon, filled to the brim with pumpkins, gives you an idea of the colorations we have.  Aren't they just gorgeous?  They are sold by the pound, with most coming to around $20.


There were a few more kinks, including kids not showing up, so I had to play the shuffling game to get all the attractions covered and the always fun ..  training more people on the slide.  So far they have been doing great.  If they are motivated enough to find a job and make a little money, they usually work out great here.  


I was rewarded at the end of the 11 hour day (with a total of maybe 30 minutes sitting down) with a beautiful sunset.  I do feel rather bad for poor Cooper though.  He sleeps all day when I'm gone, then as soon as I get home, it's off to sleep some more!!  I think he's going to dis-own me!!


I forgot to post the miles last time:     a record 10.65!!

Total miles walked so far:     79.23      

My new highest average:  8.8 miles a day.  Hush little feet ... you will be fine after your Advil treat.

6 comments:

  1. Nancy sore feet and muscles aside, I think you are having a blast there at the farm! I am sure the owners appreciate your work, and I admire your patience with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is fun. We joke a lot with the people and they seem to enjoy it too. As for the patience ... not so much! LOL

      Delete
  2. Does Cooper make it through the day, or do you have pads down that he uses? Sometimes Indy seems to go 12 hours when we are at the condo in the middle of winter, don't know about going that long in the middle of the day without some relief.

    It is SO TEMPTING to make the drive to Atwater to visit the 'Patch', but 120 miles each way and the screaming kids as an award (beside watching you work your A$$ off) is just not it. Mom would love it, but that is a long drive for a 91 year old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a long drive for sure, and although I know your Mom would love it, it's not all that easy for the elderly to get around. The grounds are covered with such a thick coat of crushed almond shells, it's a little hard to maneuver. I come home to let Cooper out once each day. He seems to "hold it" just fine.

      Delete
  3. Nancy-

    Just noticed on my Kindle a new movie out on Amazon:

    'BINGO HELL'

    Thought of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahahaha now that made me laugh!!!! I'm going to check it out!!

      Delete