Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Trying to Breathe .......

I can't tell you how nice it was to have a day off.  The winds started out in the 20 mph range, but quickly escalated to 30+ for most of the day, with gusts upwards of 50 mph.   The view out my back door was so ugly that all I did was make sure the couch didn't blow away.

Although I heard of trees and power lines falling all around the area, nothing impacted us thank goodness. I do have to say the air is rather hard to breathe when it's mostly dirt.

Unfortunately it doesn't bode well for the almond trees on the ranch.  The last big wind that went through took down about 1,000 trees.  Hopefully it won't be as bad this time.


I did nothing all day.  I got up long enough to make a grilled cheese sandwich.  True to my food skills, it came out rather black on one side, in spite of my intentions not to leave the stove.  Not willing to waste all that goodness, I just scraped off the black (like my Mom used to do) and forced it down.  It was a nice change of pace from the Patch hot dogs.

I rather imagine the cleanup at the Patch today will be massive.  I am thankful every day that I'm not in the Snack Shack any more.  With only screens on all sides, it's going to be awful.  All I will have to do is run the blower across the walkways and blow off the bounce pillow, maybe the slide.  As to the tractors, I'll surprise the drivers by letting them clean their own.  

Winds today will be around 20 mph, maybe even enough to get one more day off.  This is the first time ever I've actually LIKED the wind!!!

Even MORE good news ... I may not even work Bingo tonight.  Oh the bliss of the possibility of TWO days off.  This is a first I think ... me wanting to stay home and do nothing!!



6 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed your day off! We laughed at the grilled cheese, I remember my mom scraping the burnt off too, I always liked it that way! Hoping the wind dies off today. Horrible fire in SoCal I see this am...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't checked the news at all. I'll have to look up the fire. My grilled cheese is like my garlic bread ... always black!

      Delete
  2. Was coming back from mom's yesterday and came across half of a tree that fell into the street...thank goodness they already cleared a path for cars. Arny was picking up dropped limbs coming across the fence from a neighbors tree all day (no larger than 3 feet long limbs).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was one of the worst wind storms we've had around here.

      Delete
  3. YUP - Two days off from all the chaos and entitled rude & maladjusted adults,in age only, is a good choice- One Needs to Be Good to Themselves once in a while....you kinda earned it Nancy.

    ReplyDelete