Monday, June 21, 2021

Hot Time In The Old Town

With temperatures soaring up to 109 yesterday, it turned out to be a pretty hot time at the Elks Lodge.  Thankfully the downstairs AC units purred like kittens the entire morning and kept everyone cool as a cucumber.  I can't say as much for the kitchen.

It was 5:45 when I pulled in to the parking lot to find no one in sight.  My first thought was I probably had the wrong day.  Before I could make the first phone call to double check, trucks started pulling in.


The best part about helping to cook breakfast for Father's Day?  There's not as many people and I get to make as many trips as I want into the walk-in freezer.  I can't find .............. (whatever), became my excuse to cool off.

I moved three big pans of ham to the ovens before two of us threw together six egg casseroles.  Imagine pans twice as big as normal, full of liquid eggs.  It's a balancing act for sure.  I cleaned up the mess "someone" made on the floor.

It starts out slow as the cooking process begins.  Getting close to 8:00, the rush was on.  EXCEPT ... someone forgot to mention the actual people EATING this breakfast would not arrive until 8:30.  Oops!!

The eaters trickled in slowly until 9:00 when we were hit with a big rush that never stopped.  I have to say we serve some of the best biscuits and gravy in the country and the word definitely got out.  It also helped that this was a completely free breakfast for any lodge member and his extended family.

In no time it was a scorching 90 degrees in the kitchen.  I got caught too many times hanging out in the freezer, so they brought in this swamp cooler on wheels.  It would almost blow you over if you walked in front of it, but it cooled down the kitchen quite nicely.  Not really "cool", but not scorching hot either.


There were a few oopsies .... I overcooked two pans of sausage.  I hate that skin on stuff ... and the scrambled egg guy didn't cook his lot enough, so on to the griddle they went.  Boy am I glad I didn't have to clean up THIS mess!!!  

In true Nancy fashion, the last pan of ham almost came out burned.  It spent WAY too much time in the warming ovens.  One guy said I needed to cook those hash browns much more ... they were not brown enough, while the next guy in the kitchen said I was cooking them WAY too crunchy.  Seems there was no middle ground on this day.

We served almost 325 people, not counting the entire kitchen crew.  I think that's a record for Father's Day.  I packaged up all the leftovers which were sent to the Rescue Mission down the street.  Nothing goes to waste.

My thank you for the morning ..... two HUGE pieces of Costco cake.  My all time favorite breakfast food. And for being such a good boy while I was gone, Cooper got a little taste of ham.

Coming up next ... and I can't believe I'm saying this ... I've agreed to a solar panel estimate on my house.  The way things are going, it will make my house even more sellable when the time comes.  I doubt anything will come of it.  You are totally penalized if you are conservative with your power, which of course I am, meaning most likely there will be no income tax benefits.  The good news is I have an IN with a commercial solar company expert who will make sure I don't get a raw deal, if there's a deal at all to be had.

15 comments:

  1. We put solar panels up 6 years ago and they paid for themselves last year. We spent 30K and got 10K back in income tax credits for a total spend of 20K. We figured we save about 4K a year on electricity so consider them paid for by the savings. From now on it is just gravy, but as the panels age, they produce less and less, so someday it will be time to swap them out for newer more efficient ones. But, all in all, we are very happy with our panels. My recommendation, if you can swing it, is to own your own panels. Also, try to get just enough panels for your needs, and an inverter big enough to add a few more if you end up needing more. If you get too many panels and end up selling Killywiggles (KW) back to Pigs, Goats and Elephants (PG&E) they don't pay you much for them and doesn't really pay off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. California does not currently offer a tax credit or benefit for installing solar.
      HOWEVER - For 2021 There is a Federal Solar Tax credit of 26% of the cost to install- The 26% expires at the end of 2022 when it falls to 22% for 2023 installations. The entire tax credit program is scheduled to expire at the end of 2923- I expect it will be renewed/extended. - Its also possible California will execute a similitude or matching program if our dysfunctional congress fails to act on a new program. - Additionally California's net energy metering incentive requires all investor owned public utilities to buy homeowners excess solar electricity at close to retail prices - This buyback program passed by the California PUC in 2018 is guaranteed for 20 years thru 2038.

      Delete
    2. Thank you KCD ... I really appreciate the info. That's pretty much what I've heard about the cost. A little steep for me with a single income, but I'll see what I can do.

      Delete
    3. Great info Franklin ... I will definitely make sure I get in on THAT credit. I did hear they were paying nothing on the buyback, but maybe that will change? Sounds like I should do the same in Arizona.

      Delete
  2. That is such a wonderful thing that you all do for Father's Day and other events. That's a lot of people and therefore a lot of food! I don't envy you at all, working in the hot kitchen. It isn't ever my favourite place to be - a kitchen. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good thing Mothers and Fathers days only come once a year. I would not want to be working in that hot kitchen every day!!!

      Delete
  3. Ugh, I am not sure I could of stood the heat in that kitchen! Great job though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully the outside temps didn't heat up until around 2:00 when we were long gone. Otherwise I don't think I would have been in the kitchen either!!

      Delete
  4. Yum. Ham, eggs, hash browns, biscuits and gravy. My mouth is watering. I would NOT cook that, though. You are one brave woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not too hard ... you just pan up most everything on big sheet trays and stick them in the oven. The hard part is knowing when the biscuits are done!! LOL

      Delete
  5. Thank you for your time serving the hungry and of course yourself😉. Hope you learn alot about solar panels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those solar panels are a lot to deal with Doug. It looks like I might go broke trying to save some dollars! LOL

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on your survival, and thanks to whoever brought in the swamp cooler. Oh, yeah, by the way, I like my hash browns about half way between crisp and not so crisp. (That's not true, I'll take them anyway I can get them as long as I don't have to cook them and they are chewable.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Judith!!! However ... they would have been so much better cooked on the flattop than in big pans and stirred!! It always fascinates me how restaurants take boxed and canned ingredients and make something edible. I can't seem to do that at home.

      Delete
  7. That's a great thing you do on Mother's Day and Father's Day! Heat would be stifling but thank goodness for the swamp coolers! Our electric bill only runs between 36 and 60 a month (summer) so solar wouldn't pay for us, but in CA I can certainly see it!

    ReplyDelete