Sunday, March 21, 2021

Two Heads Are Better Than One

Uno Cabezas, Dos Cabezas, Tres Cabezas.  Actually there aren't tres, only dos.  The Dos Cabezas Mountains are just south of Willcox Arizona.  This is NOT what I was looking for, but these two rocky outcroppings are how the town of Dos Cabezas (Two Heads) got it's name.


I was off to check out Fort Bowie National Historic Site.  If you want to see it, you have to hike in 1.5 miles from the trailhead at the end of an 8 mile dirt road.  No problem I even brought food and water.


What I spotted along the way was this cemetery where I got completely sidetracked.  


This is the Dos Cabezas Pioneer Cemetery.   Although Kansas Settlement is located across the valley, a huge crop growing enterprise that began after World War II due to big markets and new techniques in irrigation, there's nothing here but dirt, mountains and scrub brush.  

It started out as a stage depot on the Apache Trail in the 1870's because of available water.  Later, gold was discovered in the Cabezas mountains.  Due to the water, there was lots of game to eat, but not much else.


For such a small town, this is the biggest cemetery I've seen in a long time.  It seems families have carved out their separate sections.  


There are many with iron fences, but most have no headstones or names.


Although very little information seems to be available, this cemetery is one of the biggest I've seen.  You may have to click on the picture to see the number of rebar crosses scattered across the landscape.  No names, but MANY crosses.


This is probably the oldest one I found.  Born in 1820, William VanDeWalker died in 1893.  He must have been pretty well off to have a headstone carved for him way back then.


I'm not even near the top of the cemetery ... that's my truck you can barely see at the bottom of the tan grass.  Watch out for rattlesnakes if you visit.


As I drove through the actual town just a half mile down the road, I spotted a few adobe buildings disintegrating into the ground.  There are about five families that still live here in very old, very small houses.  


This one little house is still standing, but is vacant.  The town was first settled around 1878 and sported a post office, a brewery, a barber shop, a hotel, blacksmith shop and a brick yard.  Mining was the name of the game, but it was such a slow producing area, it didn't last long. 


I did notice there would be one little house and eight cars parked out front.  I'm not sure if they were having a party or they all lived there.  


This is apparently the old grocery store.  It's kind of sad that all these buildings are vacant.  Don't you think one would make a great  QUILT store??  Nah, me either!!


Back on track, THIS is my destination.  


Will I make it?  Will I get lost and never return???  Where the heck AM I???  The adventure continues tomorrow!!


10 comments:

  1. About William Vanderwalker: Born in Bath, Steuben, New York, USA on 1 Aug 1820 to Henry Vanderwalker and Mary Polly Winegar. Married Olive Elnora Dimick and had 5 children. He passed away on 4 Aug 1893 in Dos Cabezas. Olive and 5 children, George, Maria, Augustus, Rena, and Mary, all survived him, perhaps other children did not survive. My guess, he might have been a Civil War Vet or headed west to avoid it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting stuff. I can't help but wonder why in the world he ended up in such a desolate place. Thanks Dave!!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Not much there any more, but fun to check it out.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful area. That is a very old cemetery and I'm sure interesting to visit. Thanks for inviting us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It surprised me just how many people were buried there. It was and is such a tiny town.

      Delete
  4. Gotta love old cemeteries and ghost towns. It's too bad it couldn't have been an attraction like Bodie or someplace. love the little yellow house, could be so cute with a little love :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Shirley ... we do think alike!! I would love to fix up one of those abandoned houses.

      Delete
  5. Hi Nancy; I do enjoy your excursions & resolutions.Thought of your concerns re: the cost of solar when I read “ marleneandbenno.blogspot.com” -Benno just installed a very adequate system for $950 Cdn — so with Mr Chance’ s help/ advice,lol- you could be boondocking out there by that Doug & Deb to your hearts content quite in expensively! Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! I will definitely be checking it out!!

      Delete