Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Just When You Think You're Cool ......

 I had one objective yesterday.  To make sure my hitch was fifth-wheel worthy and the electrical hookup was working.  There are actually TWO plugs on my truck, but I want to use the one inside the bed.  I also headed out to ... da da dahhhhh ... Camping World ... to pick up a silicone plate so I don't have to deal with gobs of grease, and a hitch lock, not that they work but at least they slow down the crook trying to steal my trailer.  

Alas, they were closed so I ordered everything online.  

Next up I met my guy Zack over at LazyDays to double check on the hitch.  He measured with his outstretched arms and gave me an UH OH look.  Nooooooo ... I do NOT want to purchase a new whoopdi doo sliding rail hitch for beaucoup bucks.  

It happened my trailer was in the bay behind us, so he drove my truck over to double check.  The good news is this!!  This year they are building these trailers with a swinging hitch that pivots further back, or something like that.  End result, my hitch should be fine.  SHOULD be.  We shall see.

As to the wiring, I still have absolutely NO idea if it's going to work.  I'm hoping to find a trailer place where I can have it checked.



On the way home, I stopped in for fuel.  One of the best things I did when I got my truck was put a 50 gallon tank on board, not in the bed but underneath.  So I'm at the service station fueling up and my favorite song comes on the radio.  

I slam banged the nozzle, jumped in and I was off with the music blasting away (I turned it up LOUD) and my window open, bopping to the beat as I drove down the freeway feeling pretty cool about my new trailer.  

That's when it happened .... I looked in the rear view mirror.  I drive with my mirrors by the way.  When you're a race car driver going to Yosemite, you make darn sure NO ONE is following you who might give you a whopping big ticket.

Guess I wasn't so cool after all.  There was my fuel door wide open.  When the pump stopped at $75 I went to get another credit card, but the tank was full enough I just jumped in and took off.  How embarrassing to stop on the side of the freeway and fix it.  I went into Grandma mode, turned the music off and silently drove home.

Lunch was almost the last of the Every Plate meals.  I'm a little behind since having all that lovely brisket to eat.  It's surprising to me how so little can taste so good.  Mayo, dijon and some quickly browned onions make up a sauce that goes perfectly with a grilled onion burger.  The whole thing took only 30 minutes to prepare.  The only problem is this is WAY too much food for me.


Especially since I had already whipped up my homemade shells and cheese with a big pile of chopped brisket mixed in for good measure.  MY OH MY ... this was good.  It's my new breakfast go to!!


One last RV find was this new keyless entry lock.  It's supposed to be the bees knees and easy to install.  Maybe for some handy guy, but I'm not so sure for me.  I'm leaving a window unlocked for the first month after installation to be sure it all works as advertised.  I do NOT want to get locked out.


The rest of the day I worked on this quilt.  As much as I love the pattern, I've never sewed, ironed and cut so much in my life.  This is like making three quilts at once!!  Six squares are done ... only 42 to go!!  I'm pretty sure this will be my new trailer bedspread.


In the meantime, I'm battening everything down and trying not to blow away.  The Vail gale has arrived in force for the next week.  20-25 mph winds blew all night, keeping me awake with every bang, wondering what fell down.  This morning I'll try to locate my two heavy rubber pads I bought to park the rig on.  I'm sure they are out there in the desert somewhere!!


16 comments:

  1. That burger looks oh so yummy! Love the visual of you bee bopping down the freeway! The quilt is going to be beautiful! You certainly have a lot of patience! Here's hoping the hitch works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am hoping the hitch works. There's enough other stuff to buy!!

      Delete
  2. At least you did not take off with the filling hose still in the truck's fill-up hole. Happened to a 'friend' once, got distracted when some 'nice looking lady' got 'my', I mean 'their', attention because she was lost. After about a 5-10 minute directions talk, hoped into the vehicle and started to go. Something in the mirror had me slam on the break just before the nozzle hose was about to break. WHEW, close one. (that was many, many years ago in Pine Bluff Arkansas)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Close one I guess, Dave!!! Yes lucky for me I did actually put the hose up!! I must be getting forgetful about that other stuff!!

      Delete
  3. Since you have a Short Box Truck you might have to replace your Hitch to a moveable hitch but all the Plugs are Standard.
    Burgers look yummy.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll wait and see how this hitch works with the new movable hitch on the trailer.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I think that's my all time favorite dish from my childhood. I loved my Mom's Mac n cheese!!

      Delete
  5. Hope everything fits. Trying to plan ahead is a good idea. I'm always leaving my Jeep gas cover dangling so you're not alone. Sometimes it's days before I realize it. Still waiting for pickup day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There should be a dash light for that like the "check engine" light. You know, for us old forgetful folk!! LOL

      Delete
  6. So the million dollar question is....what was the song?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha ..... country song Starting Over by Chris Stapleton. Seems I'm always starting over!

      Delete
  7. Too bad when the guy drove your truck over to check the hitch, he didn't plug the trailer plug in and see if it worked. We have one of the keyless entry locks, works great, have only had a problem once. You will get keys with it, so put one on your key ring and you will always get in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bill. I haven't even opened the box yet. Glad to know there is a key also. Hmmm that's what I thought about the plug too. Guess he was zoned in on the hitch. Worst case, I'm pretty sure the one outside the tailgate will work to get me home. Then I'll get it fixed.

      Delete
  8. That burger looks yummy. I'm like you about the keyless lock entry so when it started acting up once, I kept a key outside the rv. :)

    ReplyDelete