Monday, March 29, 2021

Oh What A Trial

My thoughts during the last 24 hours.  The STRESS!!!!  I hope I hook this thing up right.  So much to remember.  Better check my list to be sure I got everything.  Half the stuff that usually rides in the RV will now have to be in the truck.

I'm running out of room.  Breathe ............... just breathe.


Okay, almost there.  Gosh Jonathan, you barely fit through the door of this cage.  Yes you're a pretty boy.  Disco disco kitty kitty.  I really need to get going.  Mirrors ... check.  Jacks ... check.  Back up mirror ... followed by a lot of very bad words.  NO SIGNAL.  I tried everything I could think of.  No luck.

Guess I'll call LazyDays.  RATS!!  Its Sunday, but thank goodness someone answered the phone.  I need a Tech guy please.  PLEASE LET SOMEONE BE THERE ON SUNDAY.  My plan was to leave in 15 minutes.  Hope he calls back quick.  

I'm now freaking out BIG TIME.  Okay ... load the dogs, but I can't catch Cooper.  My little buddy, I know all my stress is being picked up by you, but we need to go.  I chased him around the house.  Finally they are in the back seat.


YAY ... he's calling!!  From Florida?????  This will sound silly he says but start your engine and turn on the headlights.  Not on AUTO but ON.  Okay ... ding ding ding ... the camera came on.  Apparently the camera is wired to the lights on the trailer which do not work unless the lights switch is in the ON position.  Good thing I have two cigarette lighters because I have four things plugged in to them, which you can't see due to the pile of stuff on the front seat.


Big deep breath Nancy ... we are OFF.  Fifteen seconds down the road, more really bad words.  I set the alarm but I did NOT close the garage door.  I frantically called Patty and Dan to come to my rescue.  Good grief, I didn't even get out of the driveway!!!


Please no wind ... please no wind.  Apparently it worked because the only real wind came from a 45 foot RV screaming along at 80 mph.  I got a bit of fish tail with that one.  The big trucks didn't bother me at all.  I kept a really close eye on the gauges and we seemed to do just fine.  Come on my little truck ... you can do this!!!

The trip went flawlessly, except for all the new routines weight lifting the dogs in and out.  I suppose I'll get used to it sooner or later.  I pulled in to the RV park at Quartzsite, praying for a pull through.  Nope ... but I got a back in on the very end.  Instead of a 90 degree turn, it was only about 45 and I made it on the first try.  Woohoo!!  I didn't even have to unhook my truck.

Getting the puppies in and out of the trailer is a pain since I have to lift them up the steps, and of course they are both going opposite directions.  Except for that new gash on the back of my hand where Jessie bit me, we are surviving.  Jon settled in very quickly.  

That was the good news.  The bad news was the trailer door wouldn't close.  The adjustments on the steps had to be made to lower them so the door would shut.  The porch light and the step light don't work, no surprise, but the AC runs, microwave works, although that hot dog wasn't as good as I expected.  I even got the satellite TV to work.

There was no sleeping since I forgot to put Jonathan's heat lamp on the cage, which woke me up at midnight.  I turned the heater off about 1:00 am because the roaring jet woke me up.  SO --- we are doing good, heading out for fuel soon and I'll be back on the road.  Wish us luck!!!


14 comments:

  1. Yep, I did not like the 90 degree turns backing up my 5th wheel either. Then there is the time I needed to make a sharp turn in a parking lot, and the 5th wheel shattered my back window of my Ford truck...lesson learned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch!! I try very hard not to get myself into a situation I can't back out of. Doesn't always work though.

      Delete
  2. First trips are always scary. Just remember to take your time parking and it will work every time.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad it was a successful day from calling Lazy Days and getting yourself parked in the RV Park! Great job! Those stairs are a slight pain, we have them on the Mansion. Seems every time we stop they have to be adjusted to fit the terrain. On the plus side they are so sturdy and safer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only sturdy, but my top step is 1-1/2 times as wide as the others. Makes it easier to get in and out when you are carrying dogs! LOL

      Delete
  4. Good news. That's awesome that someone called you back so soon. It was a little windy here so I'm glad you weren't affected. Have a great day and enjoy the ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ride was great the first day! Hahahaha Always a challenge!

      Delete
  5. When you say you didn't have to unhook the truck, do you mean you left it hooked up for the night because you are only staying for one night. If so, you should lower the front landing jacks to take the tress out of the from of the trailer at the pin box. This will also help level your trailer some and it may have been why the door wouldn't close. Also takes the twist out of the frame and makes opening slides easier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can feel your tension in every paragraph. Breathe, exhale and relax....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup ... I was pretty stressed. The second day wasn't much better!! Do you have Chris Stapleton's CD Starting Over? It's a good one.

      Delete
  7. All of that and you call it a successful day😆 Hope I never see an unsuccessful day. Glad you made it. Just try to keep the stress out of your day. Not good for you. 🤗🤗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly true Doug. Unfortunately it's something I seem to have inherited from my mother. Ugh!! I was just trying to beat the winds and get back for an appointment. I'll do better next time.

      Delete