Friday, March 19, 2021

Changing Hats

 It seems the older I get, the more hats I have to wear.  Not all of them are as fun as the photographer one stalking pronghorn across the valleys of Arizona.  Sometimes I even have to wear sneaky hats just to get the job done.

There were two things missing from my fifth wheel when I got it home.  The promised sewer hose and an outside spray/shower hose that attaches in the bay.  I dreaded going to LazyDays to try and get them, knowing it was going to be a hassle.  Once you drive out the gate, it's sayonara!!

Sure enough I was told my service guy was off and sewer hoses do not come with the units.  My sales guy who promised it was out on the lot showing off more trailers.  Waiting is not my speciality.  I left that office and drove over to the service bay.  I have found the guys there to be much more accommodating.

Luckily as I was standing outside with my most forlorn, poor me I'm a little old lady hat, the gentlemen who made sure I got hooked up to the trailer stopped by.  He got the spare tire put on .... so, in my best "blonde" what-am-I-to-do speakese, I asked for both ....... and I GOT THEM!!  I drove out as fast as I could before they changed their mind.


Changing hats as soon as I got home, I became the gardener.  It was finally warm enough outside to mow the jungle before we got eaten by 20 foot boa constrictors or coyotes hiding in the grass.  


I made such a mess, I headed to the garage for the blower to clean off the patio.  Oh how I love these battery operated gizzies.  True to gardener form however (at least MY gardeners), I couldn't find the battery.  Well rats!!  I'm pretty sure I remember putting it in the Jeep for the little tire compressor I carry.  Surely there's one around here!!  NOPE!!  I guess I'll have to go buy another one!!  There was no blowing on this day.



Time to change hats again to construction handyman mode.  I have a piece of laminate near the stove that is lifting up, getting worse by the week.  After two tries, I found this construction caulking for laminate, wood and anything else that needs to be stuck down.  

I have no clue if this is what I need or if it will work, but I'm giving it a shot.  Someone forgot to tell me how to open the caulking tube.  I was getting nowhere fast when like any good construction guy, I finally decided to read the directions.  You have to cut the tip off.  I'm surprised it didn't explode before I figured that out.


Naturally I used WAY too much goop.  The white line is actually a magazine I placed on the counter with a huge heavy adobe brick on top to weigh it down, along with the yellow container of every kitchen tool known to man, for that extra little kick of three pounds.

I used up half a roll of paper towels cleaning up all the goo that squeezed out.  No one ever said I was good at this!!  In three days I'll remove the adobe and see if it holds.  


As to the tuxedo hat, I've been a member of the Elks Lodge for ten years.  They are always looking for fresh meat to hold offices.  As with any group, no one wants to do all the work.  While gone, I was elected to hold the Inner Guard seat, meaning once a month when they have their initiation ceremonies, I have to wear a tuxedo.  Thus the new purchase.  

The good news is we always have close to 20 new members every month.  Surely at some point I can put on the appropriate hat and convince someone ELSE to take my place.  

Donning my accounting hat yesterday, it seems IRS has extended the filing and payment date again this year.  Please don't take my word for it however, check it out for yourself just to make sure.  

The last hat of the day was a puppy play date hat .... my favorite!!


14 comments:

  1. Great job on all your projects! I will have to try my best my best "blonde" what-am-I-to-do speakese" routine next time I have a situation like that. Somehow I don't think I will get the same results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do it often, but when I do ....... it works the majority of the time!! LOL

      Delete
  2. With a lot of those tubes, not only do you cut the end off, you then take a long nail and puncture a seal to allow the stuff to run out smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NOW you tell me!!! No problem ... there was so much pressure from me squeezing the handle WITHOUT a hole that I'm sure it would have come out one way or another!!

      Delete
  3. I wish you had not told of those little tricks Dave that would’ve been a whole new blog page ... Title guess what happens when you squeeze

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It explodes???? Thankfully that's one title I will miss ... this time.

      Delete
  4. Glad you got the stuff you were supposed to get. Those salesman will promise you the world to make a sale😁 Good to try to fix things yourself first. If you screw it up then call in the pros.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great mantra Doug!!! I think I've done that before ... had to call in the pros!!

      Delete
  5. Lol - I was an ELK for about 7 months in the late 70's before I realized my liver and new marriage were in severe jeopardy if I continued....you are so spot on regarding the recruitment for chair positions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The really funny part is that I don't drink. Maybe one glass of wine every couple of months, but I completely understand what your predicament was!!

      Delete
  6. You are too funny with your hats! A little old lady...I think not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are MANY hats that play a part now and then! LOL

      Delete
  7. Sounds about right no one wants those positions and you were not there to decline...lol Besides they know a worker when they see one. Still looking forward to the Tux pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being single with only puppies to talk to, I do enjoy the company of the Elks Lodge even with all the work.

      Delete