Saturday, March 13, 2021

The Search Is ON!!

A decision was made, kinda sorta, well maybe, I'm not sure, but at any rate I'm on the hunt for a Honda generator for the RV.  Since I'm still carrying around a parrot that requires 70-80 degree heat 24-7, I rather imagine those two batteries won't last long.  I did check out a great electric blanket, but the price tag of $250 put me off a tad.  Solar will have to wait.

I haven't checked prices yet, but there is a small rechargeable battery you can purchase to run C-pap machines all night long.  That may be perfect for Jonathan's heating pad.  More investigation is required.

I spent almost two hours scanning the internet.  I know there are other options out there than Honda, but it's the quietness that got me hooked.  I have probably grumbled along with everyone else about that noisy generator running next door.  As much as solar would be the perfect answer, the price has me shaking in by boots after already signing my life away for the trailer.  

Trouble is, practically every generator in the country now lives in Texas.  I can't blame them.  Sadly I actually had TWO of these beauties with my other trailer, which of course I sold when I bought the Class A.   No one ever said I had foresight!!

 After that, Cooper kept me nailed to the couch for a couple of hours, which gave me time to think up all the OTHER stuff I need.  Out of the blue I remembered I still have the original spare tire on my truck.  I rather imagine a 15 year old tire won't last long.


When Cooper finally woke up, I was off to Ace Hardware for some honey-do supplies.  They have enlarged our store by almost twice, allowing for some interesting kitchen items that will perfectly match your decor.  They come in every color imaginable.  They remind me of that moving spiral from the Saturday morning cartoon shows!


On the way out, I saw two handsome guys getting into a construction truck.  Who better to ask for a tire shop, so I jumped in front of the truck as they drove out.  "I'm new here ... can you tell me where a truck tire shop is?"  They pointed behind me.  

How intuitive I was .... sure enough, right across from Ace Hardware is a great tire shop.  This picture is for my car friends.  What a beauty ... an impala with original interior in perfect shape.  She must have been kept in a garage forever.  

At any rate, by the end of the day I had a new spare tire.  Check that one off my list.


On the way home I spotted probably 20 fire trucks and sheriff vehicles on the side of the road.  I figured someone must have driven over the cliff.  Turns out they were having a training session on rappelling over the edge with rock climbing gear using the guardrail as a tie point.  I almost stopped to watch, but there was no room to park.  It's hard to take a picture of sheriff and fire vehicles when you are driving and not get caught.


Next on my list, an Electrical Management System for the trailer.  Since I use RV parks a lot, I don't want to take the chance of things getting fried.  It was one of the first things I bought for the Class A.  Of course no one ever said this stuff was cheap.

I was pretty surprised however to find out the 50 amp surge protector for this little trailer cost as much as the one I had put in the big rig.  YIKES!!  I'm going to be a lot more broke than I thought!!  I'm beginning to think RV's are like boats.  A hole in the water you pour money into.  Oh well, easy come, easy go!!

Dinner was the last of the Hello Fresh meal service I signed up for.  The veggies have been less than desirable.  That last cucumber that was rotten, squashed flat and leaking all over everything else was the last straw.  

This was a pretty good recipe however.  Oven baked parmesan chicken with roasted tomato lemon spaghetti was pretty tasty!!  I guess I'm going back to lean cuisine.  I may even have to think up stuff to cook myself since there will be no room for LC in my tiny RV freezer.


Today's project is to THINK about installing that keyless entry lock and the tire monitoring system that came with the trailer.  I'll let you know how it goes!!



11 comments:

  1. If you get a chance check out techno RV website they do pretty much an in-depth analysis of the RV products that they sell they don’t sell products it don’t work so I could at least give you an idea what to stick with and what to avoid
    So whether it be a surge protector tire monitors I think they even have wireless door locks It’s good to read the reviews
    Also
    You’re already on Facebook on the top center of your Facebook page and the taskbar is a house icon if you click on that that is Facebook market page it should pull up your area of Tucson if not go to the left and change the location if you type in search protector under search engine only pick the ones that have your area do not have the ones that shipped to you they can’t be trusted the other thing is if you were looking for a Honda generator know the price that you want and do a search for that also you can go to a pawnshop the only thing is you’ll be pretty close to new price A 2000 W unit I don’t think will be enough for your air conditioner so you need at least a 3000 W would be my suggestion also electric start if nothing Else it should be low enough that it will fit in between the cab and the fifth wheel unit you can cable it to the fifth wheel A Honda 3000 W unit new from a retailer runs about 2200$
    A lot of people buy them and never use them so they would be lightly used it’s not likely you’re gonna run it 24 seven so There’s two or three of them in your area for half price Just make sure that it runs smooth and you use non-ethanol fuel
    Amazon. RoadPro RPHB-110DB 12-Volt Polar Fleece Heated Travel Blanket, (58 x 42.5 Inch) The question you wanna know is how many wt, or amps does it draw
    Read the ratings as well

    Price: $29.95 FREE One-Day & FREE Return
    Free return is always good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem with a 3000w generator is I cannot lift the thing into my truck and they are very noisy. Honestly, if I'm camping where it's that hot, I'm going to an RV park. I think ... for now ... just a small one to recharge the batteries would be okay. Down the road I may look for a bigger one or a second one. I did find a few used ones. As for the heated blanket, YES!!!

      Delete
  2. You cannot go wrong with a Honda. We still have our pair of 2000's. We don't use them like we did when we had the 5th wheel but we do still use them on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem to last the longest. I HAD two, I was just a dummy and sold them!!

      Delete
  3. Well...the guys gave you lots of info so no need for my input. So my only comment....is this Ace Hardware in Vail? Those were some crazy kitchen utensils!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elva... I hope you don’t mind me Chiming in.. but One never has enough (input) information.. It’s like when somebody writes a book after you hit the word publish you stand back and say boy did I forget a lot..☑️

      Delete
    2. Yes Elva, that's the Ace Hardware in Vail. It's twice the size now and full of interesting stuff.

      Delete
  4. Personally I prefer Honda but have been reading good things about Harbor Freight's Predator Generators at a fraction of the price. Ask Dan what he thinks.
    Kathy removes frozen foods from the boxes to save space in the freezer.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've also heard about the Predator. Trouble is, it's made in China, which I try to stay away from. Honda at least uses other countries. Removing boxes is a good idea, more space.

      Delete
  5. So much advice on how to spend your hard earned money. Enough to give you a headsache. I have one of those tiny powerful Chargers you can try while here to see if it keeps the blanket warm all night. Try before you buy.😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Doug ... I would love to try that small charger. That was next on my list of things to look at. With my sleep patterns, it would only have to work maybe 6 hours!! LOL

      Delete