Thursday, March 18, 2021

There's That Four Letter Word Again!!

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!  

I didn't miss it, I just forgot to defrost the corned beef.  I'm celebrating today instead!!


This is definitely one you don't want to hear when in Arizona trying to enjoy the sun and warm.  SNOW!! Yup ... there's that word again as it got down to 34 degrees, overcast and starting to rain.  The blue morning hour reflected just how cold it was going to get.


This storm moved in quickly and began dumping flakes of the white stuff.  So much for the days plan of mowing the lawn.  It's getting quite tall now, almost six inches in spots.  No matter, I'm NOT going out in the wind, cold and wet.  


Not much gathered on the ground since it was melting as soon as it landed.  I don't think these poor little cactus are ever going to grow if it doesn't get hotter.


At last the storm passed and it warmed all the way to up 50 degrees.  Woohoo!!  I decided rather than mowing the now very wet lawn, I would try for that elusive tuxedo I am required to have for the Elk's Lodge initiations.  I mean really, can you imagine the Queen of Levis and boots having to not only find, but actually WEAR a tuxedo?  Me either.

It was a lesson in futility.  JC Penneys in California has tuxedos.  Not so in Arizona.  How about Macy's?  Closed down permanently.  Dillards!!  There is a Dillards in Tucson.  Nope, closed down permanently.  Good heavens ... where do you go to buy clothes when all the stores have closed down?  Steinmart ... Beales ... all closed.  The only OPEN store I could find was Kohls.  They make throwaway clothes.  Wear them once and throw them away.

While driving around I finally spotted a Bridal Shop.  They should know, right?  Well, she says ... there's a Men's Wearhouse two doors down.  Oh great ... that's going to be rather awkward!

The very nice girl met me at the door and said yes they did have tuxedos and yes they could be altered to fit ... well you know ... the upper portion.  If you are flat chested, you have it made.  If not, good luck!!

Undaunted, I tried on about five.  Of course the $599 one fit the best, but there's no way I'm paying THAT!  Here's the good news ... the pants fit perfectly!!!  I can sew and I used to MAKE men's suits.  Most likely I can make any alterations myself.  If not, she pointed out a tailor just across the street who could help.

To make it even better, she found THIS $200 one that fit better than all the rest.  That works for me!  When she checked me out, the price came to only $150.  I didn't say a word.  They threw in a nice bag to keep it in and suggested a cedar hangar to keep the moths away.  WHAT?  Yes, it is very lightweight, but made of wool and polyester.  They don't guarantee you won't get moth holes.  


Honestly, I think that was the easiest purchase of clothing I've ever made.  I was in and out the door in 30 minutes.  As to the required white tux shirt, there was no luck there due to the same "upper" requirements.  I'll have to try Amazon.

Here's one of the meals from the last box of Hello Fresh.  I think someone got their wires crossed.  This was supposed to be Spanish sausage and pasta.  Turns out they included no sausage, just a big piece of barramundi.  What the heck is barramundi???  Some kind of fish?

Yeah that fishy fish didn't exactly go with the spicy tomato pasta, but I ate it anyway.  Waste not, want not.


I have only one of their meals left to cook, then I'm on my own.  I'm hoping to use up most of what's in my freezer because there's no way even a quarter of it will fit in the tiny RV freezer for the trip to the other residence.

In the meantime, we are praying for warmer weather!!!


14 comments:

  1. I can't imagine wearing a tuxedo, but am looking forward to a picture of you in it! :) Very nice looking! The mountains are beautiful with the snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well ... I'm not sure there will be tuxedo pictures ... at least for awhile.

      Delete
  2. Well...your dinner looked good. So many stores have closed. I had no idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised also about the stores. I thought most were still open. Guess I was wrong.

      Delete
  3. I had to buy a suit through JCP for my youngest son's wedding last July, which did not take place although they got married 'alone' and will have a big ceremony this year in July. Anyway, I did it via their website, HUGE discount since they were trying to move their stock, and all I need to do now is get the pants legs sewed to length.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that's what happened to me ... 25% off, but I too have to sew the hem. No problem there!!

      Delete
  4. There used to be places we could Rent Tuxedos but Covid closed them all.
    Never heard of needing a Tux for joining any organization.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually not for joining ... I'll be an officer during those initiations.

      Delete
  5. Please post a picture of you in your tux😃 It will be one for the history books. Finally becoming a member of the famous Elks Club! Sure glad we missed the bad weather. It was gorgeous down here yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Today is 85° and your crabbing about A little dusting of SNOW and a high of 50 Drive 2500 miles due east and I guarantee you won’t find any snow except off your frozen margarita
    a tuxedo why not just rent one But just remember one thing you cannot wear a tie.. ties our a no no and are not permissible in Arizona. It Has to be a bolo
    Oh and by the way men wear pants women are allowed A suit coat to wear with trousers or a skirt Now here’s the best part you can keep your femininity if you wear a skirt . there’s no etiquette rules that says you can’t wear cowboy boots. But I would suggest you polish them ..... ya I know. for formality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I COULD wear a skirt, but in this case we are all required to wear a tux with pants. I promise I'll polish my boots.

      Delete
  7. Okay I am with everyone else looking forward to the pictures of you in a Tux.
    I could not believe it when you saw all those Pronghorns on the way in here. We never see any animals. Then yesterday 2 Pronghorns and cows, a banner day...lol
    Beautiful pictures of the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good ... I'm glad you got to see some pronghorn. They do seem to be rather elusive!!

      Delete