Wednesday, March 10, 2021

The High Points

Weirdly enough, this popped up on my phone early yesterday morning.  That's the same pickup truck pulling my first fifth wheel rig.  It had no storage room for anything and a bed that was like sleeping on concrete.  I think that was even before memory foam was invented.  That's the beautiful Chance rig in front of me.  We are parked in the horse barns at the Yuma Fairgrounds.  It was my first long trip with an RV.


Quite the difference in trailers between then and now.  I'm not sure why they build them so high in the sky, nowadays but here are the entry steps.  The top step is much wider than the other two making it much easier to unlock the door.  It will be even easier than that when I get my new keyless entry installed.  

The light underneath?  That helps keep the pack rats at bay at night.


I even have an array of lighting along the awning.  You know, the kind that everyone leaves on all night annoying everyone else in the campground?  


The fridge is plenty big, but the freezer, not so much.  At least half of it will be full of puppy food.  I figure I can always eat their beef roast if I get hungry enough.  It really does make great tacos!!


Someone might be able to help me here.  I spent all day going through SO MUCH STUFF from the other RV, trying to decide what I really need to keep.  My calves think I climbed Mount Whitney and are complaining loudly this morning.  SO MANY trips in and out, up and down those steps.  

That's when I opened THIS drawer just above the doggy bowl drawer.  What are you supposed to put in here?  Is this for canned food?  I've no clue.  Anyone have any ideas?


I think for the most part I have everything I need in the kitchen.  I've ended up with a big box of what-the-heck-am-I-going-to-do-with-this-stuff.  I'll sort through it later.  I also discovered I haven't much room in my truck for things like gloves, tire gauge, dog water bowls, extra keys, hitch lock and more.

The good news is I was able to get some sheets that actually FIT!  Still, making the bed was a pain.  I suppose it's easier when the mattress doesn't weigh a ton, but in this case it's so light, it slips around and was hard to get the corners on.  I need something underneath to keep it from moving so much.  The good news is I didn't bang my head NOT ONCE!!  


Here's the piece-de-resistance!!  THIS is my pantry.  An entire storage section from floor to ceiling almost 3 feet deep!!  This is where I'm trying to keep it to a minimum since this weight rests on the slide out.


Now the REALLY big challenge begins.  How much of what stuff to put in the much-smaller-than-the-previous bay up front.  Again, I don't want to add a lot of weight, but I've got extra electrical cords, water hoses, tool boxes, bins of cleaning materials, black tank chemicals, just about everything you can imagine.  I think I better designate an inside cupboard for some of this stuff.

Lastly the search is on for a generator since this kid cannot dry camp without a hair dryer and a parrot heater.  That means an inverter also, so I may just take Doug up on his generous offer.  I'm hoping to take her out for a maiden voyage the first of next week.


14 comments:

  1. WE have a Honda generator and wouldn't own anything else. Yes they are pricey but you get what you pay for in quietness when it's running :) I bet you can't wait to spend your first night in the rig! Love the quilt on the bed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Honda is winning the race, but gosh are they hard to find. That quilt is one of my favorites too.

      Delete
  2. Somewhere around the TV should be a cigarette lighter tape plug https://www.grainger.com/product/52YF66?ef
    You should also be able to get one at the automotive store or Walmart plugs into the old cigarette lighter
    That bottom drawer is for wine bottles...you have five days worth 🍷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wine bottles ... well for criminy sakes!! I never would have guessed that. I keep looking, but have not found a lighter plug. Maybe I should look at the owners manual.

      Delete
  3. Lots to like about your new rig. Glad you held to your guns and got what you wanted. Can't wait to see it. Wasn't going to say anything but Shirley is right. The Honda generator is the way to go even though they are expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on my list, along with a lot of other expensive things! LOL

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you have things under control. I have no idea what that drawer would be for...cans of tuna perhaps. :) (but I like the tuna in pouches, so much easier to deal with)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it might be for canned foods too!! Guess we were both wrong! Seems it's for wine, which I may need when trying to set it up! LOL

      Delete
  5. As mentioned before, we have a Honda Genset and from 10 feet away you would not even hear it running. As to the wine bottle drawer, I took the insert out because I am in the habit (from our boating days) to put the wine bottles or booze bottles into thick socks. That way you can fit more into the space!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your Honda wins Marlene. I appreciate your experience!! I never would have thought wine bottles. Great idea, but you are right, thick socks make for more wine bottles!! LOL

      Delete
  6. Well it looks beautiful but what a hassle. We had such a different/better experience at the Lazydays in Tampa but then that was four years ago. The paper work was lengthy. Until 2019 we boondocked with no solar. We had four batteries in the 5th wheel with a portable generator and 2 in the motor home with the generator. What we did not have to do was keep a bird warm, though I do dry my hair...lol Hope to see you parked out by Doug we are heading that way in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only got two batteries, but hopefully the generator will work as much as I will probably boondock. The main heater will have to work for the bird unless I can find a 12 v heating pad!

      Delete
  7. We have been on the road the past few days so I am just catching up. Glad to see you got your rig and everything worked out in the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well ..... it's working and I'm working hard to get things in place. Too bad they don't make people generators!!

      Delete