Tuesday, March 9, 2021

It Wasn't Pretty!!

Six hours after arriving at Lazy Days, I was finally home with my new house on wheels.   What a complete hassle the entire process was.  

Nancy:  Is everything complete?  Did you get everything on my list taken care of?

LazyD:    Oh yes ... it's all ready to go!!  Let's go do your paperwork.

Nancy:  I'd really like to check it out first.

They drove me out to the rig on the back lot.  That's funny, the door is open and someone is inside.  Why? Because absolutely NOTHING had been done.  Back to the office we went where I waited for an hour after calling my insurance agent.  No return call.

I finally called the insurance company directly and had them add it to my policy.  It didn't matter if the numbers were correct, I just needed it for the bank.  I'll make it right later.

I'm not even going to tell you about the paperwork signing, which ended up in a screaming match because they outright lied to me ... tried to pull a bait and switch.  I kid you not.  Today it will be all over the internet on every RV account I can find.  In the end it turned out okay, but there's nothing worse in the world than someone who tries to flim-flam downright CHEAT you into paying more.

Two hours later, because I had to wait for the "fixes" to be fixed ... but wait, they have to take their lunch hour first .... I was finally driving out of the lot.  It sure felt like there was a house behind me!!  I had forgotten over the years just how different this would feel going down the highway.

There really wasn't too much movement, but I had my eyes glued on my gauges.  My truck hasn't worked this hard in eight years!!  I made the turn into my cul-de-sac and went as far forward as possible.  By the way, my truck actually is a short bed with a long-er box, so there's no problem about turning sharp.  Lucky for me!!  

Still, that first turn had to be a tight one, which of course is even harder to recover from.  It wasn't pretty as I zigzagged like a snake and had to constantly think about which way to turn the wheel, overcorrecting every time!  

By this time I was so stressed out my shoulders hurt.  I didn't think I would ever make it.  The camera helps, but truly, my mirrors are not big enough, and guys, you know how those brakes can grab!!  In the end I had to pull forward twice.  I'm hoping it goes a little better next time.

So the first big hurdle is that I will HAVE to have an inverter in order to charge my phone, computer and to keep my electric blanket going when not plugged in.  That means a generator to keep the batteries charged.  Solar may be down the road, but it's too expensive for me now.

I ended the day on an even lower note.  Before Patty and Dan came over to check her out, I decided to put sheets on the bed.  Funny, they sure don't seem to fit very well.  What's up with that???  I just couldn't get them on.  That's when I saw the tag.  FULL SIZE.   I would have laughed but I was too exhausted.  

Today will be a better day!!!

21 comments:

  1. Congratulations! At least it's home and now the fun part begins! I love the built in hutch with the tv, just gorgeous! Good for you for writing a review or several. It will certainly warn others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has a lot of storage everywhere, more than I expected to find in a small fifth wheel.

      Delete
  2. Sorry you had to endure the stress that was needed to purchase your new fifth-wheel. The good news you slayed the dragon. Way to stick up for yourself. It's a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! It's hard for me to do that. It works better with my dogs!! LOL

      Delete
  3. Are your sure there are no 12v 'cigarette lighter' type outlet anywhere? That would be something that you can put in (Dan?). I bought this from Amazon (SCCKE 14.8FT/4.5m 14AWG 20A 12V 24V Female Car Cigarette Lighter Socket to Battery Alligator Crocodile Clips Connector) for $15 that I run through a window to power Marcia's computer while I use the inside connector for my computer while we boondock. I would also suggest a Cigarette Lighter Adapter On/Off Switch Dual 12V Car Adapter with LED Volatge Display Cigarette Lighter Splitter to offer more outlets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look again Dave, but I think it's all 110 plugs. Although there are a lot of USB slots, I don't think they are 12 volt. I will check it out today.

      Delete
  4. Yay you did it! I also love the hutch. I sure hope I get to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of good storage in the hutch, but I need a step stool. You my friend would need a ladder!!

      Delete
  5. My, I'm surprised you didn't just walk out and tell them to forget it. But it worked out well in the end😃 only two pull ups. Sounds like you have it down already! Great. I have two extra inverters and you can have either. So don't buy one till you try one of mine. Can't beat free! Watch for the bait and switch😆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really close to walking out Doug, but these particular floor plans are hard to find. I'll take you up on the inverter. What size?

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness! That is soooo frustrating! They are all rip off artists, I think, and when you're alone, probably worse. At least when there are two of us, what one doesn't say, the other one will. BUT........she looks beautiful under your shelter! And inside, it is truly a lovely home. Doug has the answer to your inverter, maybe? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly helps if there are two of you. It will just take some getting used to pulling her down the road.

      Delete
  7. Good Grief! - what an adventure. For now, it appears your patience & efforts ended in a satisfactory closing. Good for you for completing the process & running thru the finish line as the victor over these clowns. I personally don't have the will to deal with dishonorable douchbags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pain that I totally expected since I asked for so much to be included in the price they quoted. With everything added on, they would have been out some bucks, which I'm sure they would have just added on to the next guy.

      Delete
  8. I once got a car dealer fired for trying to pull a bait and switch on me. It was very satisfying to do that. (In 1968 when "girls" had no power he tried to deliver the wrong car!)

    I LOVE your new RV! What a great floor plan! I think you will be happy you held out for the right one. I also think puling forward twice is doing a good job on your first try at backing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You GO Linda!!! Good for you!! I think the floor plan works the best since everything but one chair is accessible with the slide closed. Every other rig had no access when the slides were in.

      Delete
  9. If you think you’re alone you’re not... when you get a chance lazy day Better Business Bureau complaint they don’t have a very good rating there.
    Now you probably won’t have any issues with your 5er for quite a while but here’s a suggestion for you look under the Internet for a mom and pop trailer repair facility that has excellent ratings sit down and talk with them and see what they can do for you if in the future you have an issue.. I would Stay away from the big box RV companies small mom and pop RV companies don’t stay in business if they get poor ratings so it pays to take care of your customers that’s why I suggest you go in and talk to them so you’ll know who you deal with. If i n the event you come to a future issue
    As for a generator you only need one that’s rated at 3500 Wt Do not get an inverter type generator Because more than likely your microwave is an inverter year . inverter and inverter don’t like each other this is also where you will get good advice from mom and Pop RV service Center
    The generator I Had is a 3500 W wireless remote start it went between the back cab and the fifth wheel hitch the only thing I had to do was have an extra cord to reach from the back of the cab to the existing plug being wireless I didn’t have to get out of the RV to start it
    As for solar unlike years ago where it was expensive you can buy 250w Panel now For about 100 a controller is less than 50
    It’s whether you prop them up outside and run a plug to the battery... or you have them hardwired to the roof. Just for giggles I would email sun works down on the slab and ask him what he would do for 250w and an MPPT controller unit ask him if he has any used Panels (I can pick up 250 W panels for about 75 bucks 300 W panels for 90 They are used and take offs but they still have the 25 y guarantee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remote control generator? That sounds pretty cool. I haven't even begun to look, but I'll check it out. Solar will be down the road if I decide to boondock a lot. For now I'm thinking generator.

      Delete
  10. Congrats on getting your new rig home. As for charging ports, check around the head of your bed, a lot of RV manufactures are putting USB charge ports there for charging phones etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And do they work off the battery? That will be my quest today ... to see if anything works when I'm not plugged in.

      Delete