Sunday, March 7, 2021

Sometimes You Cheer, Sometimes You Cry

 I imagine you all know what happened from the title.  It was NOT my turn to cheer.  I was not able to bring my new baby home.  Here's how it went.

I was a nervous wreck all morning.  I had written down dozens of notes because up to this point I had not one piece of paper saying what it will cost and what I'm actually getting after several phone call negotiations.

I tried to stay busy concentrating on where Jonathan was going to ride ... in the trailer or in the truck.  He kept me occupied for a few minutes by attacking and chewing on his stick.  Rather hard to see, but he's holding it with his right foot claws while biting it's head off with his beak.  


Parrots have very strong beaks and can take your finger off if they've a mind.  He will chew up this piece of dowel the size of the one he's standing on in about three days.  It's what keeps his beak short and strong so he can eat.


My first stop of the day was at PetCo for a small transport cage.  So far stuffing him in a dark cardboard box has not been his favorite mode of moving from the house to his cage in the motorhome.  

Since the 5th wheel will be much rougher riding, he can ride in this small cage up front on the driver's seat.  This way I can see when he gets stressed and stop for a break.  Don't tell him it's a ferret cage or I'll never hear the end of it.  It's the only suitable size I could find.


At long last it was time to head out for pick up of our new roving house.  They drove me to the back lot where it was plugged in with absolutely everything turned on that HAD an ON switch.  I backed right up, they moved the hitch up and slam bang, I was in business.  Oops ... I forgot to give them the disc to put on first.

All this time I'm thinking I have no paperwork.  Rather distracting that thought was.  In a flash, they were all gone as I waited for the guy who was going to give me the once over.  

I unhooked ... a confidence builder ... put the disc on, then hooked up again.  Okay, I got this!!  In no time the guy showed up and went through the list of instructions like lightning.  It's a good thing I already know a lot from the motorhome.

Two things I noticed however.  One, the back jacks when UP are still VERY close to the ground .... like 8" at the most, and I'm thinking more like 6.  That scares me if I'm going over a deep gutter or a rough road.  I guess time will tell.  The second, not really a big deal, but the fresh water tank dump valve is WAY underneath ... a long reach at best.  

Okay, three things.  I also now have a water heater to deal with.  When the time comes to drain it, I'll be asking for directions!!

We were almost done when I looked for the plug that will be going to my satellite dish.  I couldn't figure out how to hook it up.  He didn't know either, meaning I would have to bring the receiver and the rig back for someone to make the connection.

Things went downhill from there.  Uh oh ... the spare tire is missing.  I checked the tire dates and they were all manufactured after 9/20.  By the way, did they put the spray coating on the outside?  No one knew.  They did at least get the second battery installed.  Gosh ... the rear view camera seems to be missing also.  That's a $700 freebie to me that I certainly wasn't going to leave behind.  New sewer hose?  Nope.


Time to pay the piper as they rushed me off to the office.  This is exactly why I didn't want to do this late on a Saturday when everyone wanted to run home.  As I mentioned, all this time I had no paperwork.  The gal had me sign something about a warranty, but gave me nothing in return.

Everything came to a screeching halt when they asked me for my insurance binder.  I didn't have one.  I'm sorry they weren't happy about that, but apparently SOMEONE should have given me the bank information along with all my paperwork so I could get insurance.  

I did think about it and I emailed my broker.  She said just give her a call and she will write it immediately.  She doesn't answer the phone on Saturdays, meaning there's no insurance and no 5th wheel and I STILL don't know the actual final cost (although I have a good idea because you know, I'm an accountant).  Someone not only dropped the ball, but threw it completely out of the game.

I unhooked once again and dejectedly drove home.  I'm hoping they get their act together by Monday and I'll have some kind of paperwork in hand.  At this point all I have is a one year membership to Thousand Trails.  Oh BOY!!  You know how much I love them since everyone and their brother now has a membership with the purchase of THEIR RV to a company that provides no service and fewer than ever places to park ... but hey, it's FREE!!

My last thought for the day was:    Boy do I like that automatic leveling system!!!  And my two theatre seating chairs both warm up and vibrate!  WOOHOO!!



23 comments:

  1. Oh dear, do we know this feeling but it should NEVER happen! Sometimes I wonder how these dealers keep business! I'm so sorry for what you you are going through and hope it all works out on Monday. I'm liking the new Johnathan cage though, I'm sure he'll be pleased too. :) Hang in there, kiddo! All in good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay ... The camera doesn't take long to install at all. Just hoping I can get the insurance early Monday.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear of your delay and unprofessional walk thru, although this is how a lot of dealers do it, it wouldn't happen at CanAm, I can attest to that. Wish I was there and I would do it for you. The hot water heater is no big deal to drain. At the bottom of it is a plug that you can remove to drain it. Call me and I will walk you thru it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting that one of the mechanical guys gave me the info on the rig, but I suppose they know more than anyone else. It was probably a good thing because now I'll totally take my time.

      Delete
  3. Ok, we have your satellite attached to your roof now.
    Good, where is the wire that I plug into my box?
    Duhhhhhhh?????? %$#&@@!!!!

    Yep, sounds like a typical RV Dealer, about 99% of them.
    GOOD LUCK! But I know you will like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right??? Or at least the cable to attach it to. Not sure all that is going to get fixed by 9:00 this morning! LOL

      Delete
  4. The next time you go back there do not hook up to that vehicle until you’re completely satisfied with the paperwork and in hand make sure everything works and that doesn’t mean oh will get to it later attitude free thing to your satisfaction as soon as you hook up and drive out then you’ll have to make an appointment they already have your money so you’re just another customer
    Now your cable satellite connector is usually in your water bay it should be attached to the bulkhead on the right hand side dear little tiny pieces of shit and I guarantee you’ll hate it after the second time make sure that that works because there have been issues with the grand design
    Some of the Leveling legs not all some actually have a pin To raise and lower. if your model has that feature make sure that it’s in the upper position Yes you will tear it out So it needs to retract all the way back in
    Hold onto your check or authorize and don’t drive off the lot until you’re 100% satisfied The next time You go there you wanna have the attitude you want my money fix it otherwise 👎✈️
    And if you don’t have the fortitude to do that have fun give the check authorization to Mr C. I’m sure he knows the ins and outs of RV dealing and I wouldn’t want to deal with a pitbull

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like you made your decision at the right time
      https://www.rvtravel.com/california-mandatory-motorhome-emissions-testing/?fbclid=IwAR046kREEumVsU8AnqG-x2wjrpgw0Qp9LTW5HM3fLn1c9eKLK-t8mb9AE-k

      Delete
    2. California will do anything to extract more money from you. And you are right ... THIS time I will NOT hook up until everything is good!! Nor will I write them the check!!

      Delete
  5. Your comment about the one year free membership to TT had me laughing out loud. Discount Solar in Quartzsite closes March 27, 2021. Goodness....I hope you have your 5th wheel home in the area of March 23rd. Breathe!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup you KNOW how much I love TT!!! I do forget to breathe sometimes. You know me so well Elva!!! LOL

      Delete
  6. Lots of dealers forget the little things but expect you to pay for the big things.
    Hope Monday is a better day.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not the best start! I'll check out the creek crossing and let you know. I hope the levelers are very close to the tires or they will be a concern on any short incline as you know from past experience. Glad you're an accountant so you can keep them straight. Hope it goes better Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Levelers are within 6 inches of the tires, so it looks like I will make it across the creek.

      Delete
  8. We have shared your frustrations.
    Traded up to a new fifth-wheel from a motorhome in 2015. Boy was that a eye opener. Not only learning the ropes of trailer hauling but driving,parking and maneuvering a fifth-wheel. If we could do this we know you can. Also we understand that finance department crap, stick to your guns...yeehaw cowgirl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's totally different, right? Good thing I've pulled fifth wheel horse trailers in the past or I think I would really be up a creek!!

      Delete
  9. As for your satellite cable, if they installed the dish on the roof for you, there usually is a cable in the roof that they would tap into. That cable should come out inside the trailer near where your main TV is located.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup ... that's what I was looking for Bill. Hopefully they get it fixed this morning. I certainly do appreciate your expertise!!!

      Delete
  10. Just a few more days and you will have your new home, it will go quick! We had auto jacks and auto dish on ours, we called them marriage savers. We were always entertained by people trying to level their rigs and targeting their dishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way .... auto everything I can get! I've heard lots of campground arguments over just those two things!!

      Delete
  11. Hopefully Monday's a go for you and you can get that beautiful rig home! Like buying a vehicle it's just not fun. We had a great guy where we bought the Mansion do the walk through but Bill is actually the one who showed us how to run the water heater on electricity. Too bad Bill can't do your walk through! LOL. So much to remember!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!!! I can't wait to meet up with him and go over stuff. The entire "control panel" of knobs you have to set up just to add water to the tank is pretty baffling!!

      Delete