Monday, August 31, 2020

Third Times A Charm

If at first you don't succeed, try try again.  That's my motto because I rarely succeed the first time!  Having pretty much failed with the first chicken in the new smoker, I tried it again.  I watched a dozen videos which didn't help at all!!

To be honest, it didn't go much better than the first time.  Ha!!!  There's a lot of trial and error involved in smoking with a new machine.


 At least this time it was edible, but I still wasn't happy with the process.  There MUST be a secret.  It consumed my day ... thinking about how to make it work the way my Bradley does.

Here's one of the best tips I found.  See that aluminum pan in the above picture?  It catches all the grease so you don't have to clean up the entire bottom.  That's the best thing I've ever discovered.  You cannot imagine how much time and energy goes into CLEANING, and you KNOW that word is not in my DNA.

I finally decided to try a rack of ribs.  Here's the secret.  Start the heat with nothing inside.  Once it's up to temperature, add water to the pan and meat to the grill.  THEN you add soaked wood chips to the pan.  It smoked for an hour before I had to add more damp chips.

 
Two hours smoking, wrap in foil, two more hours with no smoke and a final one hour with your favorite BBQ sauce.  Here's the results!!  Now that's MY kind of ribs!!!  They were delicious!!  The third time was definitely the charm on this one!!

The third time didn't work out as well with the critter cam.  It does show there are more critters around than the really cool ones like coyotes and javelinas.  On the very left side you will see the rabbit that comes every morning around 4:30 for a big drink.  He's brave considering the coyotes show up about the same time.  Here he's sharing with a dove at the water station.

This beauty showed up at midnight.  He leaves, spooked by something, then returns for a long drink.  This camera is the best one I've ever purchased.   What a kick!
 

 To end the day, I decided to do something constructive.  I mowed the lawn.  That's when I had an epiphany.  If I turn the water down, I won't have to mow so often.  Mowing is akin to scrubbing floors.  I don't get paid enough for that kind for work.  Besides, I'd rather be sewing!!  

Awesome news at midnight woke me up.  It was raining.  Maybe, possibly, hopefully the monsoon season is here so it will finally cool off.


 

 

12 comments:

  1. I think your chicken has a lovely tan! Too bad it didn't quite turn out for you. The ribs look awesome though and obviously tasted as good. The bones were licked clean. :)
    Love your camera videos. Can you imagine living your life always so watchful of dangers around you. We aren't quite that bad YET as humans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the bunny life wouldn't be very fun. Seems they are always on the menu.

      Delete
  2. Why not put a water pan under your chicken the same as you do the ribs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This smoker has a water pan at the very bottom. I used it, but I didn't understand the difference between the wood chips in this one versus the sawdust chunks in the other one. I couldn't get it to smoke. It's just a different process with the Masterbuilt.

      Delete
  3. We still didn't get any rain. I love that hot pad with the turtles on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan ... I made that hot pad. We have gotten a little bit of rain here and there. It's funny how it completely misses some areas.

      Delete
  4. In response to yesterday's fudge...as kids we would take 2-3 large marshmallows and squish and squish and pull and pull with our fingers until it was creamy and you can make out the letter "H" when you pulled your hands apart and put your index finger up and thumbs down. Now, take a square of a Hershey bar that has been sitting out in the sun for about 5 minutes and mix it in....home made fudge with no mess (no mess because every kid licked their fingers clean)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that's a new one on me Dave! Perfect fudge ingredients!!

      Delete
  5. That was quite the drive you had yesterday. I like Dave's idea for making fudge.
    Never tried smoking meat just grilling.
    Even though you might not her it all the critters seem to look towards your Game Camera. They could be hearing it turn on.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Rick. It has a slight vibration when it turns on and those big ears pick it up every time. I love smoking meats, but it does take longer. Gives me something to do.

      Delete
  6. The ribs look yummy and from the look of the bones they were! YUM. Love the game camera videos and the little critters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked those bones clean!! Now that I have the process down, I'll do more of them.

      Delete