Monday, August 17, 2020

104 With Rain

That's been the forecast for the last few days here in Arizona.  Needless to say, it's hot.  In fact, this is the hottest summer since I've been here.  It's so hot that I keep my inside air set at 81 degrees and the AC unit runs almost full time.  When I start to get really warm, I just go outside and walk around the house.  When I come back in, it's amazing how COOL 81 feels.

That makes it difficult to spend all day at the horse show held at the fairgrounds.  Laila (now one of TWO Chance grandchildren) was showing her new horse.  You always bring your chair and lots of water.  Here we sit in front of the steel building arena.  They did have a few fans here and there trying to keep it comfortable.

After about an hour of watching lots of horses in different classes, Laila's turn finally arrived.  This is a Friesen horse, known for their long mane and tail.  He's five years old, but has only been ridden since January, so not a lot of training, but a good disposition.

This was a halter class (no riding) and I think she got 4th place out of six?  I could barely hear the announcer who sounded like she had a mouth full of marbles.  It was probably the heat.   He's wondering what that little thing is.  Where he comes from, he has probably not seen a pony before.

We waited and waited for her next class.  Several only had one or two riders and the judging seemed to go on forever.  Truly, that's what those classes require, but on a hot day under a steel roof having to wear a mask the entire time, it was too much for me.  I left three hours later with a bad headache and without getting to see her ride.  Hopefully next time it will be cooler.

Here's another example of 104 with rain.  It isn't nighttime ... it's a storm coming over the mountain.  The crazy winds kick up letting you know it's time to tie everything down before the lovely rains come.

Sweet water from heaven cools things down to the high 70's, meaning the dogs and I can sit on the patio while we contemplate how rattlesnakes might get in.  You know it's going to be a big rain when all the birds disappear completely.

To my amazement, this appeared.  A double rainbow that went clear over the top of the mountain in a fabulous arc to the ground on the other side.  Woohoo!!!

That was quickly followed by this amazing sky.  Don't you just love it?

As I mentioned above, the Chance family has a brand spanking new granddaughter who lives near the beach in California where it's MUCH cooler.  Since they are off for a visit, I'm on kitty duty for the next few days.  

I do NOT get hazardous duty pay, but I'm applying for it THIS time.  I took two steps into their greenhouse to smell this guy.  It's amazing how quickly things decline when it's 115 in a very small enclosure.  He has since been recycled back to the desert.

Today I'm off to find a new light fixture to replace the halogen one.  I've tried this twice before with no luck.  Lowes has a tiny section of outdoor lights, many of which are not in stock.  We shall see what happens this time.



16 comments:

  1. OMG 104, mask and metal shed..you are a trooper to have stood it for so long. Sure wish the states would get over this crap! Common sense should prevail. I thought AZ was freer than that. The sky pictures are incredible along with the rainbow! Aww kitty duty how fun! Of course if they're over at the coast they might not come home until fall...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well to be honest, only some were wearing masks. The rest of us were drinking water constantly, so no mask. I too am getting seriously tired of this crap.

      Delete
  2. Steel buildings have a tendency to amplify the heat.
    If you can'y find the light fixture at the Big Box Stores try Amazon. LED prices have been coming down as well.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your hazard pay.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit, I tend to go for the cheaper light fixtures, but the ratings are terrible. This may take some time.

      Delete
  3. Save that rainbow pic for the listing if or when you ever sell the house. I just can't get over these views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit, that's the prettiest view I've had here.

      Delete
  4. Lovely double rainbow...last time I saw a double was in Alaska where we saw about a half dozen of them when we were up there in 2016.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed. I think that's the first one I've ever seen.

      Delete
  5. Nancy, send my congratulations to Dan and Patti on the birth of their new granddaughter. Lynn Cross

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well you could’ve Had The Horse show in death Valley it’s 130° An Damn hot by their standards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to believe any spot in the states could get that hot. No thank you!

      Delete
  7. You did well to stay 3 hours in that metal building with a mask! I'll take Costco any day! haha
    Eww, I wouldn't want to find that surprise in the greenhouse.
    Your rainbow and sky picture were amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patsy! To be honest, I cheated and kept the mask pulled down while I sipped water almost the entire time! LOL

      Delete