Sunday, August 16, 2020

Really BIG Things - HUGE

There were lots of things on the agenda for this day.  Everything came to a screeching halt however when I stuck that really pointy end of my very sharp knife into the tip of my finger about a quarter inch.  I bled like a stuck pig.  Big bandaids make it increasingly hard to type this morning.

It was time to clean out the front porch light fixture of the millions of flying things that are attracted to the yellow bug-free light bulb.  When I removed the cover, I discovered the insulation was rotting away and appeared to be burned.  YIKES!  I think I need a new fixture.

Off to Lowes I went at 8:00, since it was only 98 degrees.  Cool considering our temperatures!  That's when I ran into THIS beast.  This has to be the biggest load I've ever seen a truck tractor pull.  There's a really weird attachment to the tank on each end and NO tires on the ground in the middle.

Having driven lots of trucks, I'm always impressed by guys that can maneuver a load like this.  He actually drove straight ahead, then stopped and backed up twice before making it around the corner.  Three pilot trucks then stopped traffic while they replaced all the signs they had removed.

Come to find out, this is only one section of the towers that hold up the latest and greatest windmills.  The driver got a big thumbs up from me!

Probably not a really HUGE deal to anyone else, but for me to do electrical work, it's BIG!!  It took a couple of tries to get the right fixture.  The first one was so cool, but when I went to check out, it was $98.  Uh ... no thank you.  I went back for the cheap model.  

I pulled off the old insulation, looking at the cooked-to-well-done wires on this one.  First, let's see if I can find the breaker to turn off the electricity so I don't end up looking like those wires.  There are twelve, and every one is miss-marked not once, but TWICE.  I totally got my exercise for the day, running back and forth on every flip of the switch to see if the light had gone off.  Finally ... success on number ten!!

I even tried the little handy dandy is-there-a-hot-wire-here gizzy that went off even when the breaker was off.  So much for safety when it comes to THAT!

I was pretty sure of the wire configuration, but sent a picture to Mr. Chance just because I didn't want my house to burn down.

Finally, with the glass fixture installed, LET THERE BE LIGHT!!  I can't believe I did that all by myself.  Okay, I lied.  Mr. Chance was on his way to town, so he stopped for two minutes and hooked the wires together for me.  Better to be safe than sorry!!  The light fixture really isn't yellow, it's the yellow bulb so hopefully it attracts a few less insects .... like maybe 25.

On to the NEXT lighting problem.  This outside light just didn't want to work.  I took the bulb out, messed around with it and broke off the little cover over the sensor which was disintegrating due to the sun.  I bought a new bulb and a new sensor.

I replaced the bulb and NOTHING.  I surmised I needed a new fixture here also.  Wasn't I surprised when last night the light turned on, illuminating two square miles of desert.  WOW this thing is BRIGHT!!  It stays on dusk to dawn, so we'll see how long it lasts.  This one of course attracts every flying thing in the desert, completely covering the garage door, but maybe it will deter the two legged variety.

Just to see if the second time is a charm, here's the other video of the javelina.  They're kind of cute, in an ugly sort of way.

 

We went to a horse show yesterday to watch the Chance granddaughter Laila with her new horse and give me a chance to miss my horse trailer and horses even more.   I'll post a few pictures tomorrow!

 

 

6 comments:

  1. We used to have a factory that produced the Windmill Towers here in Windsor so we got to see them being transported quite a few times.
    The Wires that you thought looked a little frazzled are specially made to handle the heat produced by the Light Bulbs.
    The Security Sensor light is set to turn on s soon as it's dark. Since that is a Halogen bulb it uses a lot of Electricity. Replacing it with an L.E.D. Security light may be costly but it will be brighter and save you the cost of the fixture in less then a month.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your handiwork.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to replace it with an LED light, but that electricity part scares me. A good idea however.

      Delete
  2. Change your outside bulbs to LED bulbs cheaper last longer and don’t create any heat
    You could also get LED flood lights if you get the kind that goes from dust to dawn you can get the kind that Dimm And when you trip them they go to full brightness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup ... that's what I need. I have one security light out front that is solar. That would be nice to have too!

      Delete
  3. I agree that the Security Light needs to be replaced with one that is LED and one that has a motion sensor so it comes on when someone approaches, goes back off after 3-5 minutes. Probably run $40-$80 depending one which one you want...look on Amazon BEFORE you go to Home Depot so you have a feel for what you want. The LEDs will last longer, cost less to operate (seen some figures that say it is a 1 to 20 ratio difference), and the heat from a halogen is very extreme when compared to LEDs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good advice Dave ... thank you! I'll see if I can come up with an LED LIGHT.

      Delete