Thursday, August 20, 2020

Camera Shy Critters

This is the second sweet girl that lives at the Chance household.  Meet Missy.  She's pretty camera shy.  Several years ago when the Chance RV happened to be in Idaho, they stopped in at an animal rescue thrift store.  What better place to spend your money?

Beautiful Missy was in one of the cages and instantly climbed into the hearts of Patty and Dan.  She came home with them that very day.

 

Missy could not have picked a better couple of humans.  This kids favorite pasttime is sitting on the rug looking out the back window at the bunnies.  Okay, sometimes, because her true favorite pasttime is food!!  Just like me!!  And in case you were wondering, she has the softest fur you have ever felt.

As with all children, sometimes they don't get along so well.  There have definitely been a few cat fights here and there.  Sadly, kitty duty is over for me as they have returned home.

In the meantime, HERE are the real camera shy critters.  I usually come across these guys in the daytime, but it's just been too hot.  It was a sweat-producing miserable 106 again yesterday as I tromped around my old haunt of Tombstone ... in long pants and boots since a little desert investigation was included.  No use tempting the Rattlesnake Gods, even if it was too hot for them to be out.

Keep an eye on the bottom right corner.  It's pretty hard to see exactly where the camera is looking when I set it up.  I was informed that Mr. Chance has a steel post pounder, so hopefully in the next couple of days I can reset the camera for a better view.

 

AND HERE IT IS!  My all time favorite video of the water station.  My apologies again because you have to keep an eye on the bottom right corner.  These are one of my favorite critters ... I just love how they use their paws.  There's nothing like sitting in a nice cool water bath!  See if you can double click and make this image BIG!

 

So that's it for today.  I spent about five hours tromping around Tombstone and the surrounding territory.  Sadly there were only a few people visiting, so I spent most of the time talking to the locals.  They are very happy to be open again, including the restaurants.  

They have worked together to share line cooks and facilities, keeping the doors open as long as possible.  Anyone who would stay open in the heat of summer deserves your business.  Even the OK Corral actors were there in black coats, shirts and vests, sweating with the best of them.

That made me think ... imagine you were back in the 1860's, in Tombstone in the summer.  No air conditioning, no fans and no ice for your whiskey, not to mention rarely bath water and no deodorant.  I rather imagine life was pretty stinky!!! 

 


 

 

14 comments:

  1. Love all the critter videos! Keep em coming! Cute story of Missy and how she came to be a Chance! Wow Tombstone is tough in that heat! Come on FALL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall came and went ... I think we're back to summer again! LOL

      Delete
  2. All the Critter Pictures look good.
    I can well imagine what sweaty Cowboys smelled like.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe a little better than the miners, but who knows!!

      Delete
  3. Have you seen how large this "LNU Lightning Complex fires" is? (why they call it that I don't know...) Google Maps has a map of it here: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.5602423,-122.5507694,9.25z/data=!4m3!15m2!1m1!1s%2Fg%2F11kn6hf5th

    That is big enough to engulf all of Sacramento AND the surrounding communities from Elk Grove to Roseville and West Sac to Folsom! Shut down I-80 yesterday for a few hours as it jumped over to the south of the Interstate. WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's just crazy that Vacaville and Fairfield are in line for fire. Hope they get it shut down VERY soon!

      Delete
  4. I'd guess if you are stinky yourself it's hard to notice anyone else's smell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are probably right ... you get used to it over time.

      Delete
  5. Missy is beautiful. Thanks for the "full screen" tip. Makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ... those videos need to be double clicked (or whatever it takes) so they are larger!!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful kitties! Glad we can visit Tombstone today and not back then. Hope your California home is safe from the wildfires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My other abode is far from any fires and not in any danger. Thank goodness!

      Delete
  7. And in Tombstone of long ago, the women who were nice, or not, might be expected to wear corsets. I always wonder about my great and great-great grandmothers in Texas. They worked hard and were out in the boonies. Surely they just went around in their shifts, right? And ran for cover if somebody outside the family showed up. If they wore those long-sleeved high necked long dresses all day, they were certainly hardier than I could ever dream of being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read recently that MANY of the women wore corsets regardless of the work or the weather. They had to keep up appearances. I just can't imagine.

      Delete