Friday, August 28, 2020

The Joys Of The Desert

As much as I LOVE the desert critters, it's not all apple pie with a big scoop of ice cream.   I think you had to be really tough in the old days to survive not only little water but the critters that accompany desert living.  I can tell you right up front that I am NOT that tough.    Just how many times do you think that cowboy woke up to something crawling in his bedroll?

Lucky me, it wasn't in my bedroll, but this is the THIRD scorpion I have found in the house.  One was squished flat on the carpet where I was sitting with Cooper.  I'm thinking maybe I was just lucky enough to step on it when I had shoes on, which is rare for me.  Now I never take my shoes off!!

This guy was wandering around on the laundry room floor.  I swear I jumped two feet in the air.  If nothing else, they certainly do give your heart a jump start!  He is now flat as a pancake!!


  

Here's one of the true joys of the desert that I love to see.  He's been hanging out on my screen door for the last three days.  He's a baby, maybe four inches long, and a very smart one.  He's been picking off the bugs that hang out near the bug-free patio light.  Eat up my friend!!

 

 

Their teeny tiny claws on their tiny feet just fascinate me.  I hope he comes back again soon!!  If spiders are not your thing, you might stop here.  Yup .... even MORE creepy crawlies have been visiting in spite of my GO AWAY signs.

 

One day a couple of weeks ago, or maybe three ... how quickly I forget ... the Chance family and I visited Tay's BBQ.  The owner spoke very eloquently for re-opening businesses, meaning we needed to support her and the small business she is trying to keep open in Corona de Tucson.

Interestingly enough, there was a Republican candidate having a meeting there.  It was so nice to see so much red, white and blue and flags everywhere.  Yes it was hot, as seating was only available outside.  The good news is they had misters and a nice breeze was blowing.  The friendly smiles and great service made up for it!!

 

I ordered a chopped brisket sandwich, which turned out to be three times what I could eat.  It was delicious and well worth the $13.  They have a very nice outside bar also.  Next time I'm bringing that stud finder Dan showed me.  Maybe I'll find a stud!!

 


 For my side, you KNOW I couldn't resist the cowboy mac 'n cheese.  This might have had a little more sauce added for extra flavor, but it went perfectly with the brisket.  If you are in the area, be sure and take the short drive up the hill and check them out.

 

Here's the last "joy" I encountered.  I know, I hate pictures of spiders almost as much as pictures of snakes!!  I bashed my hand on the door jamb as I jumped back when I saw this guy trying to sneak into my garage.  

I quickly reached for the shovel ... but my brain kept saying "your on-line desert friends say not to kill them.  They eat scorpions."  I switched the shovel for the broom.  Maybe I can sweep him back OUT the door.  

This is a male tarantula.  How do I know?  I looked under his skirt!!  Ha!!!!   The males are much darker in color and smaller.  This guy was about three inches across, so I hope I never run into the bigger female.

 

These used to cover the roads in California in the foothills.  When we hauled cattle up to the high pastures, they would crawl up underneath the truck.  When we got back to the ranch, we could sit and watch them fall off to the ground.  CREEPY!!!  I HATED IT!  

At any rate, here he is outside after three big sweeps of the broom.  I didn't kill him, so he better eat a gazillion scorpions!!


I haven't had any videos of critters on the camera for three days now.  I discovered a huge number of bees covering the rocks in the trough, which seemed to be keeping everyone away.  The rocks are stacked up to give baby quail an out when they fall in.  Baby quail aren't the brightest crayons in the box.

I pulled out the top few rocks and the bees took off, thankfully without stinging me first.  It may take a few days to get the word out that it's safe to drink there again, because this water station is the biggest JOY of the desert!!!

 

 

 

14 comments:

  1. You are a better woman than me! I don't care how "cute" they are I want them off my porch and screen door!! Tarantula gone!! I don't care how many things they supposedly eat...I think that's a myth LOL. Now Tay's I could definitely do!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly I don't know what they eat. Guess I need to watch more NatGeo!! LOL

      Delete
  2. scorpions
    Take cereal box top Open the front or back Or garage door put the box top down on the Door sill Close the door If you could pull the box top out easily that’s where your scorpions are coming in
    Time to replace the weatherstripping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhhh ... I didn't think of that!! Yes, it could be the doors. Yikes!

      Delete
  3. Tay's definitely looks like a place I would go.
    Ed seems to know where your visitors are coming in.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the desert life.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would enjoy Tay's for the atmosphere as much as the food!

      Delete
  4. Glad you remembered your desert friends and used the broom. Those scorpions are a different story. Glad to hear its cooling down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you ever run into any out at Empire Ranch? I would think they would be everywhere!!

      Delete
  5. My now deceased husband rode through one of your California roads covered in tarantulas many years ago. He never forgot it. He was on a motorcycle. Not inside in a car. Nothing bad happened to him. He was still sort of fond of them. I am too. Scorpions, NO. Not fond. At all. Nasty stings in my life. Once when I was wringing out a mop with one lurking inside, and a couple of them were when I was innocently in bed. Unfair. Totally unfair play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nooooooo .. Judith, don't tell me they were in bed!!! I remember my grandmother putting the legs of the bed in coffee cans. Luckily that hasn't happened to me.

      Delete
    2. Ha. I did that too!!! After being stung twice one summer. Pulled the bed in the center of the room, and put the legs in tuna cans with water. It didn't happen again. But then someone told me they can drop off the ceiling. I was so happy to hear that.

      Delete
  6. Remind me never to retire and buy a house in the desert, or anywhere where the snow and cold does not keep those nasty things away.

    ReplyDelete