Wednesday, August 19, 2020

My House ... The Zoo

It's a lovely 80 degrees this morning, a little above our average nightly temperatures here.  It's nice to sit on the patio and admire the dark when it's not 107 with the air fryer blowing.  Funny how quickly 80 becomes cool!!

That means that I've been spending a lot of time inside my little zoo.  There's always some new creepy crawly to admire.  Here's two of the outside variety I caught sharing the water.  It's kind of sad that everything eats everything around here.  The roadrunners eat baby anything, the coyotes and bobcats eat the bunnies.  

I have to admit I feel bad for the bunnies not having much food, so those that figure out how to jump my fence are now allowed to snack on the grass since the plants are dead anyway.  With no monsoons in sight, there's not much green for them.

Here's my pride and joy.  My bathroom zoo.  Yeah, well, I guess I forgot to feed this guy for the last two weeks and he starved to death.  In my defense, there were two flies in there that he snacked on for a few days.  

THIS .... I don't know what the heck THIS is, but it's big ... probably 1-1/2 inches long.  I'm sure he stings ... they all do around here ... so he became dinner for the ants.  Mostly because I felt bad about not taking care of the bathtub zoo critter.  Everything has to eat, you know.

Here's one from my second zoo.  Yup I've got TWO wireless enclosures, perfect to keep critters in their element without hurting any other residents of my house, including me.  Scorpions are my favorite ones to keep at the zoo, but alas, since we sprayed the front porch area so well, none have fallen in.  Lucky me!

What I do seem to have a lot of lately is hummingbirds.  Most likely because nothing is blooming with food for them.  Yesterday as I watched out the window, I counted 15 fighting over the nectar.  It's crazy how they chase each other off.  I don't know how they miss all the structures ... they fly so fast ... like lightning!

 

This guy landed on my flower pot holder for a rest.  He's panting considerably in the heat ... see his open beak?  Poor guys ... but they continue to fly and eat up a storm.

 

After kitty duty yesterday, I went out to feed the goldfish.  I don't know how these guys survive in water this hot.  Dan has had these babies since they were babies.  Honestly, if I had a fishing pole, we could have a big fish fry!!  They are about five inches long!!!

 

 
Yes I do have two more critter videos for you ... one is just the cutest ever ... but I thought I'd give you a break.  I'll post them tomorrow.  Today I'm off to Tombstone to see what's new in the town too tough to die.  Unlike California, their restaurants and businesses are open.  YAHOO!!
 
 
 

14 comments:

  1. You do have quite the zoo for sure! I too wonder how those goldfish stay alive. I can remember being in Arkansas and we headed for the pool in 107 degree temps..the pool seemed as warm as outside, can't imagine being a fish and having no choice.. I love the hummingbirds, we have tons too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose since there are fish in death valley that some can survive!

      Delete
  2. Better be careful or you'll need a business license for your zoo. It's amazing how Fish and Animals learn to adapt to their changing environments.
    Be Safe and Enjoy Tombstone.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true .. I guess even us humans adapt to heat and cold. I'm just one that likes it in the middle.

      Delete
  3. First it gets Hot as Hell...now the entire state seems to be on fire!. A week ago I was thinking how NorCal had not had many fires...then a few days ago we had two nights of lightning and fires broke out. Butte County had something like 16 fires at one time, and over between Napa and Vacaville four fires have become one huge fire. YUCK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's going to be lots of ash in the valley. I looked at the fire maps ... it's crazy how many fires there are.

      Delete
  4. 80° good lord feel free to open the window hallelujah
    We got monsoons here you’re welcome to them. Although you might have a flash flood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would certainly enjoy a little water of some kind. A pool would be nice! LOL

      Delete
  5. You made a statement the other day about you saw an off a lot of trains passing by he is part of the reason
    Container ports in the US Are experiencing a very high import
    Port of Long Beach Reports Best Month Ever in July Amid Pent-Up Consumer
    Demand
    Panamera canal is rebounding with ship traffic
    COVID-19: Panama Canal Shipping Rebounds From Pandemic Lows

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True .. with everyone staying home, I can see the ordering of products is probably off the chart.

      Delete
  6. That's a lot of critters. Sorry, worrying about feeding spiders is not on my list. Stay outside and I won't kill you!! That's my mantra.
    I think the hummer is chatting with his metal counterpart. 'why aren't you answering me?' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha I think you are right Patsy! The hummer is having a one sided conversation. I'm with you on the spider things. Dead is better in my book.

      Delete
  7. Look up Carpenter Bee and see if that is what you have in your picture there. Love all the mammals and birds, the insects....not so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carpenter bee? Wow ... that's really BIG for a bee! Maybe a relative to the murder hornet.

      Delete