Saturday, August 29, 2020

Ghosties In The Night

 Probably the second best thing to exploring old west ghost towns is trying to find the ghosties that go along with them.  As much as I've called them over the years, seldom do they answer.  I have to admit that one time they hollered and I heard them loud and clear.  

I worked in Yosemite National Park for a few years.  When the option of a dorm room came up right next to the office, I jumped at it.  People told me it was haunted, but I didn't believe them.  One night I woke up with a start when my bedside lamp turned on by itself.  

It was a fluke ... it will never happen again.  Well it happened night after night, several times a night.  I finally gave the light to a ranger, asking to please see if that happened at their house.  Nope ... the light never came on.  

 When the trash can lid began flipping back and forth when no one was there but me, I moved out.  No use tempting fate.   I should have called the Ghost Hunters!  More ghosties in a minute.

 On my early morning foray out to pick up the camera, I noticed Mom dove was missing.  I stuck my phone up to take a picture, and wasn't I surprised to find these two guys!  You already know this is the SECOND round of babies.  Prolific guys these dove!!


 I've been trying to capture some of the hummingbirds for you to see.  Many are plain Jane, but several are very colorful, including the Roufous which I haven't been able to photograph yet.  As much as they love the feeders, they don't like me clicking away.


 Every morning when I go out for the game camera, I'm on pins and needles.  I sit on the edge of my seat as it downloads to see just what I might capture.  Sometimes it's absolutely nothing.  On THIS morning, there were TWENTY THREE videos.  Just WOW!!

The camera runs for 30 seconds, then shuts off.  If it sees movement again, it turns on for another 30 seconds.  The coyotes were thirsty!!  One stood there and drank for over two minutes.  A total of three different ones came around.

 

And then there was THIS!!  A UFO ... A GHOSTIE!!!  Just like the Ghost Hunters, I've captured an entity!  Maybe a cowboy killed by Wyatt Earp or some early Indians!!  Surely you've seen this on TV!


 Okay, thanks for letting me have some fun.  This probably is EXACTLY what the Ghost Hunters find in their investigations.  A moth (or insect) flying around in the infrared light makes for a great ghostie!

Next up were six videos of javelinas coming for a drink.  There were two loners and this group of three.  I know nothing about the family habits of these guys.  Maybe they are like deer and the men group up until they get their own "herd".


 At any rate, it's always an adventure to check the camera and see what ghostie appeared in the night.  

 In the daytime, since you can only see ghosts at night according to the Ghost Hunters, the Chance family and I cruised up into the Catalina Mountains to see what damage had occured from the Bighorn fire.  It was an interesting trip ... I'll post it tomorrow.

 

 

10 comments:

  1. Love the ghosties! haha. You certainly have quite the animals coming through for that heavenly water you have for them! Very nice! Beautiful shot of the hummingbird and the little doves, just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised at so many critters. This is pretty close to lots of housing.

      Delete
  2. I'm loving those night time videos. Thirsty little critters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a treat! I can imagine your goosebumps waiting to see what you capture on the videos. These were really good and I love the ghostie story. I think I would have moved too.
    Beautiful shot of the doves and hummingbird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so exciting! Every morning I have something to look forward to.

      Delete
  4. Could you send some Doves out here to my sister's house? Each year we see twenty or thirty at a time, now just six or seven...it has something to do with the pair of Hawks who have set up a nest in a neighbor's tree. Yummy Yum Yum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooohhhh ... yeah, those hawks aren't dove friendly. This seems to be a bumper year for dove around here.

      Delete
  5. If you ever lose someone very close to you, their spirits normally don't cross over right away.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your Ghosties and critters.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting .... thankfully no, I haven't lost anyone recently. Maybe it wasn't JUST a moth after all.

      Delete