Tuesday, August 18, 2020

I Learned My Lesson Yesterday

Setting up and filming with game cameras isn't as easy as it sounds.  Just tie the camera to a tree, right?  Or a shaky stake in the ground.  In my defense, everything around here has big spikes that stick and poke, not to mention it had not only been raining, but was STILL raining when it was time to hang it out.  I don't leave it out all day because of the heat.  Cameras, batteries and SD cards don't like the heat any more than I do.

So instead of walking all the way down to the water station where the stake is, I opted to not get QUITE as wet by setting it up on the yard fence.  That was a big mistake, because who knew there was so much traffic around my little neck of the woods.  It's like Grand Central Station!

In other words, I learned my lesson yesterday because these are all pretty far away, so you may have to look intently.

Since I have no way of playing these to confirm who's on first, I THINK this one is of the huge bobcat that occasionally visits.  Look just to the left of center as he walks up the hill.  THIS is the reason I will ALWAYS put the camera on the shaky pole instead of the fence from now on.


 

Next up came the javelinas again.  I think there were five at the water station (one a baby), but it's very hard to see.  At least this time they didn't do any damage rooting around for yummies.

This guy was lagging behind a bit.  Okay, I took this video out because it was not the right one.  Now Blogger doesn't want to load any more.  It's tired.  I'll show it later.

 
And lastly, my all time favorite.  WHO KNEW???  In the desert?  Honestly, I didn't think I would get ANY pictures since I assumed everyone stayed home in their den when it rained.  Boy was I wrong. 

 

So from now on, the camera will be in it's rightful place on the shakey post.  In fact, I'm now perusing the internet for an even BETTER camera.  This is a kick in the pants!!!

In other critter news, I think you've met Miss Snoopy before.  She does love boxes, as most kitties and the second I put it on the floor, in she went.  She thinks you can't see her.

She's just the sweetest kitty around, if you are female.  Unlike me, she can do without men in her life.

 

So it's 5:22 and I'm off to feed the kitties.  I'll introduce you to Missy tomorrow.  Also a sweetheart of a kitty.  In case you were wondering, this is how I get my yearly kitty fix!!!

 

 

 

 

8 comments:

  1. Trail cams Watch the reviews There are a lot of reviews Pro and con on different trail cams sometimes the most expensive is not always the best
    If you’re using C batteries switch those out to rechargeable batteries The initial expense will be a little high but you’ll never have to replace them
    The most problems I hear is the sensors detecting the heat Of the animal it decreases the range
    if you watch where you put the cam And you Watch where the animals walk you might see a pattern you could take advantage of that

    Part of a review
    ot weather like this is hard on batteries, reducing their life. It's hard for the sensor to differentiate a 100 degree deer from 100 degree woods, so you miss a lot. And 100 degree weeds moving in the wind cause lots of false triggers. I have some cameras I just don't even deploy in summer, because of the above; they either take no pictures despite tracks right in front of them, or they drain the batteries shooting pics of empty plots & windy weeds. And like Ihunt said; I've had some get extremely hot hanging on a tree in the open, judging by the temp stamp; this time of year, I'll look for a shaded place to hang them when possible.
     


    EAGLE EYE 444
    King Casanova

    I can say that YES the heat affects them a lot. Last weekend, I noticed that the sensor was not picking me up even at 20 feet, whereas, normally they will pick me up at 30-50 feet during the daytime. Today when I pulled the cards, two cameras were not picking me up at a proper distance and I found that I had to be within 10-15 feet of the camera for it to activate. I can only hope that during the next two weeks, the heat will subside somewhat and when I return to check them again, there will be adequate photos for viewing etc.

    One other thing in regards to the heat, it decreases normal battery life. Since it became hotter, the battery life has decreased on a few cams to only 6 weeks and in the past, the battery life was 8-9 weeks average. I did change out the battery on one cam today but it was the "gate cam" which has a really low level of activity. This camera requires 4 of the "C" cell batteries and I had last changed it back with Duracell batteries, so 4 month battery life. I think that without the current heat problem, they would have lasted maybe 6 months instead. I do think that the Duracells work better than the Energizers too.

    When I arrive to check each cam, I first walk in front of it about 20 feet or so and check to make sure that it takes at least a couple of photos of me. Then after that , I cut off the camera and swap out the cards with a new empty one and then I always check to make sure that the new one is sensing me at about 20-30 feet and I take a couple of photos in starting on the new card. That way, at least I know that it is activated correctly.

    The only good news that I got today was when I uploaded all of the photos a little while ago, there was only one coyote photo, a few raccoons, several does and several bucks with some good antler growth AND NO HOGS AT ALL DURING THE PAST WEEK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting review. Mine is motion activated and seems to pick them up pretty quickly. It does take time to get them programmed the way you like. Surprisingly the menu is very long. I'm also using lithium AA batteries, but the heat here takes a tole.

      Delete
  2. Not knowing much about those Cams the only thing I can suggest is to create a larger wooden box to give it shade. That should keep it cooler as well as protecting it from the elements and give you a permanent spot to mount the camera so the wildlife will not be concerned with it's presence.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your learning process.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This camera is actually waterproof ... made for outdoors ... but I know from experience that extreme heat and cold will kill the batteries quickly. Sure is fun to mess with!

      Delete
  3. Was that "Camera" or "Cameras"??? Why stop at one???? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Dave .... you know me well! Actually, I thought if I ever get another, I might donate this one to the Chance family for their water station!

      Delete
  4. This is so cool!! Those cameras capture some cool things but I'm glad you're inside where you are safe. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly right ... it seems most of the critters come around here at night because that's when they hunt. LOVE the discovery of the raccoons.

      Delete