Monday, June 17, 2019

Bag Brawls ... Who Knew?

After a nice breakfast burrito filled with bacon (only one piece), egg and cheese (how can you beat that?), I immediately got to work on my "list".  It was cool ... almost cold in fact ... as I drug out the ladder to take care of the first problem.

Rarely do I look up.  From now on, I'll make it a habit.  Here's what I found in one of my ten patio lights.  Whoever built this house wanted LOTS of light.  Since I leave these on most of the time, I removed most of the bulbs.

Apparently that was an invitation to build a condo.  How in the world did they not get electrocuted??  Or worse yet, start a fire?  Thankfully they vacated the building.  It's time for demolition.

So just what do you use to reach into a "hot" light socket and not get electrocuted yourself?  My first thought was tongs, but instead, I went for a screwdriver with a plastic handle ... not that that really would have helped.
Come to find out, it was barely attached to the bottom of the ring and nowhere near the current.  I replaced it with a nice LED floodlight.  I may have to buy seven more to fill up the other currently condo-less sockets.
With that done, I headed out to the garage area to clean this light of more spider webs and dead bug carcasses than I've ever seen.  How do they get in there??  Talk about a fire hazard!!  I used a swiffer duster and was able to get it clean as a whistle, except for a few carcasses at the bottom.  
While I was out and about at 6:00, I grabbed my handy dandy bottle of insect killer and sprayed outside the house and inside the garage.  This stuff works pretty good.  I should probably spray the light fixtures!!
By 7:00 I was done.  Rather than overdo quilting, I plopped on the couch for some Sunday TV.  Unfortunately I'm on a Tucson satellite for the baseball games, so I didn't get to watch Sunday Morning's train story about UP 4014 and it's trip to Ogden Utah.  

Instead, I watched the Bouldering National Championships.  That's solving rock climbing problems on crazy walls with holds the size of your fingernail while upside down.  Talk about Spiderman, these kids are BETTER than Spiderman!  I wouldn't even be able to get up on the first hold!!  These "rocks" don't have places to grab on to, they only have flat sides.
This is me about eight years ago.  This wall had lots of hand holds in all different sizes.  You try to hit the holds with the same color tags.  Different tags mark different routes and difficulty.  I'm free climbing but am actually tethered to a rope in case I fall.  I really wasn't very confident in the 98 pound person on the other end.
Next up ... the bag brawl.  Who's heard of that?  How about Cornhole?  Maybe in the Midwest.  I never knew it was so popular.  These guys look like Indy 500 drivers!!  I had no idea there was a National Finals for Cornhole, a game I've never played before.  
Throw the bag into the hole.  It's called Cornhole because the bags used to be filled with corn.  Now they have suitcases of special varieties of bags, some with felt on one side to make them go slower and some with slick material to make them zing into the hole.  

Then there are air shots.  Most guys hit the board and let it slide into the hole.  The guy on the right threw almost exclusively air shots ... toss it way up in the air and have it go straight down into the hole.  I was amazed at his accuracy.  So was everyone else, and of course he and his partner won.
So the next time you're sitting around on a Sunday, check out the weird channels you never watch and see what crazy new things you can learn.  Bag brawls, cornhole and bouldering just might be on the schedule.





10 comments:

  1. Lots of interesting things on tv if you watch it we very seldom do on a Sunday anymore unless it is snowing! Pretty rare with out lifestyle any more. Nice that you got that nest taken care of too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine if I wasn't single, I would spend much less time in front of the TV. i'd be out on an adventure!!

      Delete
  2. We like to watch old westerns found on GRIT, H&I, and MeTV, along with sitcoms on Laff. No cable, no satellite .... free over the air TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Dave ... I have to laugh. I watch all the old Westerns, including Roy Rogers and the Lone Ranger!

      Delete
  3. Glad you took care of the nests before you had a Fire. Now that they sell LEDs that fit the old Incandescent Sockets you can save on the Electric Bill and Secure your home at the same time. Eight LEDs will use less juice the One of the old bulbs.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that amazing how much less energy those bulbs use? Although pricey, I have them everywhere in the house that I possibly can.

      Delete
  4. I too accidentally channel surfed to a cornhole match a couple weeks ago. Fun to watch. Who the hell knew there were pro cornholers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not me until Sunday. I think their pot was something like $500,000. Maybe I should take up a new sport!!

      Delete
  5. Aren't your burritos made of corn or flour? If not, let me know!!
    Corn holing is the game they play 2wice a week at our park in Winterhaven, CA. Rob played it a lot and it is fun. Sounds childish but who knew there were such a thing as championships for that game?! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Mission low carb flour tortillas. I really can't tell the difference. It's crazy how much money is on that game. Those folks are serious!!

      Delete