Friday, September 15, 2017

Two Dogs In A Too Small Car With Too Many Trains!!

When you need repairs, you go to the pros!  Elite RV Restoration in Harrisburg Oregon is the best.  Having worked for Monaco for many years before they closed down, these guys know their business.  Previously, they repaired a section of slide allowing my recliner chair to sit comfortably, and the slide to glide across the floor.

This time, the section underneath my bedroom slide was sliced to pieces by the rollers.  Why?  Because when they built it originally, they missed the mark, allowing the roller to roll on unsupported flooring.  Cool, right?

As soon as I arrived and unhooked, they had her in the shop, fixing the floor, adjusting and lubricating all my slides, replacing blown out hydraulic arms on the bay doors and adding to the back slides to prevent water from coming inside on the carpet.
After introducing them to Jonathan, who had to remain in the rig, the kids and I took off for town.  Jon requires the "Do Not Touch" lecture.  There's no use losing your finger to a bird who will pretend to love you before snipping it off at the knuckle.
There's nothing like two dogs, me and all my computer/backpack junk in a too small car.  They weren't exactly happy with their accommodations!!  
Not that I was hungry, but I figured a Micky D breakfast sandwich would at least pass some time.  If I remain perfectly quiet, the puppies will sleep.
You're right, that didn't last long.  Wide awake and raring to go, I found a nice shady parking space beside Safeway and very close to a Fire Station.  I figured that was safe enough ... except for those strange people who keep going by on skateboards and looking in my windows.  Don't worry, she was locked up tight and I was packing.
An hour passed.  I only had six to go!!  This little tree squirrel kept me occupied for awhile.  Thankfully the puppies never saw him, or I would be deaf from all the barking.
I watched a couple of videos on my computer, played every game on my phone and drank two bottles of water meant for the puppies.  Finally a long walk to the Fire Station grass kept us occupied for another thirty minutes.  I'm NOT good at waiting.

I figured it was just as easy to sit in the car at Elite as it was to sit by Safeway.  Upon arrival, I immediately noticed my inside floor alarm screaming bloody murder ... not so good for the super hearing bird inside.  I ran in and reset it ... three times ... opening the vent and hitting the fan switch before it finally took a break.  It seems it smelled the alcohol and cement used in the repair.
Oh ... I almost forgot.  Just for the heck of it, I asked about Interstate AGM batteries.  Yes they could get them for the same price as Arizona, but without the sales tax.  My house batteries have gotten me six good years, along with a truckload of white acid gunk that removed all the paint from the slide-out box, despite constant baking soda cleanings.  

It's clean as a whistle now, repainted and full of AGM's for $333 each.  I know ... pricey, but worth it in my opinion!!!  Hopefully I won't be bothered by those darn batteries again.  It's a good thing I had it done here.  Apparently when you change over (at least on my rig), the inverter has to be re-programmed.  Who knew??
The under slide repair consisted of adding plates across the bottom area where the rollers go.  Now I can put even MORE quilting fabric in the overhead bins above the bed.
The other leak in the ceiling was from the Satellite Dish installation where the dome used to be.  Apparently there was a screw that came out, leaving a hole big enough to let a little water in when there was a huge downpour.  It happened once, which was enough for me.  It's now plugged.

As for TOO many trains, I have to sit overnight and let the slide repairs cure.  I'm about 25 yards from the railroad tracks with crossings on both sides of me.  That means train whistles and vibrations beyond belief as they travel through my bedroom and out the front window.  No matter, these guys are worth the loss of one night's sleep.  If you need anything repaired, call Eric or Mark and make an appointment.  Unfortunately, they don't do engine repairs, but they are master carpenters and magicians when it comes to everything else.

I'll be on the road this morning to get brand new tires.  








9 comments:

  1. Sure is nice to have a competent repair place, to get things done. Sounds like they did everything right. Now new tires and you will be set to go again. Looking for quieter places to camp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's VERY nice ... I don't have to worry so much. Looking forward to a good nights sleep.

      Delete
  2. πŸš‚πŸš‚πŸšƒπŸšƒπŸš‹a train buff complaining about a trainπŸšƒπŸš‹πŸšƒπŸš‹πŸšƒπŸš‹πŸšƒπŸš‹

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like trains and have spent many hours researching and following them. In the daytime. When I'm not trying to sleep. :)

      Delete
    2. That's pretty cute Ed ... I love love the trains ... just not when they are 50 feet from my head between midnight and 5 am!!! LOL

      Delete
  3. Wow, lots of work done in 6 hours...and I think you will enjoy your new batteries for a good six years or more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of EXPENSIVE work done ... but at least I'm good for six more years!!

      Delete
  4. Inverters need to know what type of batteries you have. So switching from lead acid to AGMs requires reprogramming. I have no idea why I know that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very useful piece of information Linda!! I had no idea. Kudos to you for a great memory!!

      Delete