Thursday, April 6, 2023

The Whorehouse Couch

Sometimes in life you are blessed with amazing things.  In my case it's a whorehouse couch.  I bet THAT title got your attention!  It's true ... and the story, or at least part of it, is just below.  But first .......

I finally found the right fabric for the border of this trout fishing quilt and put it together.  It's hard to see, but it's covered in dark bubbles, reminding me of the bubbles in a stream ... or maybe more so, those terribly stinky bottles of fish eggs we used to use for bait.  The older, stickier and stinkier they were, the more fish we caught.  Imagine the smell after wiping your fingers on your Levis every day for a week.

Once a year we got a 7 day break from the ranch to go up into the Sierras and camp out.  We rode in the back of a cattle truck, hair blowing in the wind.  That was REAL camping ... in a big tent.  It was cold and rainy every year, but I loved it.  I got my very first pocket knife when I was maybe 7 years old.  Why?  Because we didn't have any fancy stringers.  We cut willow branches to hold the fish.

That's also when I got my first finger almost cut off.  I was a quick learner after that.  And yes, we also had to clean our OWN fish.  You caught it, you clean it.  We came back with dinner every night.  There's nothing better than a freshly fried native trout.  I still have that knife and carry it every day.  You never know when you are going to have to cut a horse or calf loose. This quilt brought back lots of memories.  I'll quilt it when I return to Arizona in July.


My first order of business was the return of some Amazon stuff.  It's funny that when I return home, all of a sudden I get twelve packages.  Then I was off to the quilting store again.  That's where I got the parts and pieces for this beauty.  I found out they also quilt these monsters ... it's almost King sized ... and it won't fit on my machine.  

That's fine with me since I didn't want to mess it up.  It will be half the price of having it done in Tucson and the nice lady does a fabulous job.  I can't wait to get it back.


And that brings me to the whorehouse couch.  Just look at these magnificent pieces of furniture.  I've had antiques around my house since I was very young.  Several pieces that belonged to my grandmother now grace my home.  So when I went visiting a few years ago and saw these pieces, I oohed and aaaahhed all over them.  

I don't have permission to tell the whole story, so I will only say I'm in Seventh Heaven to be the new owner of the whorehouse couch.  That's what she called it, so I'm going with tradition.  I made a frantic call to Mr. Chance and asked what his schedule was.  I had about a week to make arrangements.  

Just imagine my excitement!!!  I thought I may have to drive back and borrow the horse trailer to pick it up ... which I would have done at the drop of a hat ...  but Mr. Chance said he could take his truck and motorcycle trailer, along with granddaughter Laila for help.  

They picked it all up yesterday and deposited it in my house.  I'm so excited I can't stand it.  I knew there was a reason I never bought furniture for that huge room.  I am oh so excited to get back to Arizona and oh so blessed to know these two wonderful people who collected it in the first place.  Out with the new and IN WITH THE OLD!!!


With all that excitement out of the way, I started on a new quilt ... no surprise.  This is from another batch of old fabric that's been around since the dawn of time.  I just finally found a different pattern to try.


Then there's another one of those Elks Meetings to go to.  I hate to admit it, but I'm seriously thinking of resigning.  Two meetings every week, along with two expensive meals, is more than I bargained for.  I'd rather spend my time sitting on my whorehouse couch.  





17 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new/old furniture, I can see the smile on your face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know it Bill!!! I can't wait to get back and arrange my new living room!!

      Delete
  2. Weeee!! You were right! It is beautiful! Congratulations!😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't tell you how thankful I am that they let me have it all.

      Delete
  3. Oh Nancy that furniture is beautiful!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gorgeous ... and I can't wait to set it all up.

      Delete
  4. Now all you need is a red light on the porch! (Hope some day you can tell the full story....) They look like they are in excellent condition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are in amazing condition! Oooooh a red light ... that's a GREAT idea! LOL

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! I'm kind of addicted to fabric!

      Delete
  6. Love the fish quilt and your camping story. Beautiful red couch and chairs. Will really brighten a room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny the things you think about when quilting.

      Delete
  7. Nothing like a piece of furniture with a past! Hope you can share that story someday. The couch is very nice and love your quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's why I love antique furniture so much ... like Jim said ... if only they could talk!

      Delete