Saturday, April 8, 2023

How I Got The Whorehouse Couch

Every bunny knows it's Easter this weekend and are probably hiding out so they don't become the pet of the week.  Did I ever mention I used to raise bunnies?  It was quite by accident that I ended up with three cute little Dutch rabbits.  That will be tomorrow's story.

Today, I have permission to tell the story of the whorehouse couch.  Some years ago I met a couple of RV'ers who I later found out lived in Casa Grande Arizona.  We hit it off immediately and when I visited one day in person, I knew why.  We have a love for the same things.

Jan and Bill Mains had a house decorated in early Tombstone Cowboy with red velvet bordello furniture,  the most fabulous I've seen.  That's how I wanted to decorate MY house.  There were so many western artifacts and dozens of Kachina dolls Bill himself had carved and decorated.  If you ever saw them, you would be amazed.

Over the years I admired the collection of old Marshall badges, spurs, calvary saddles and bronze statues.  Jan knows how to decorate like no other.  

One day I got a message telling me they were selling everything and moving back East.  WHAT??  She asked if I wanted an antique clock I had admired.  YES!!!  I stopped by on my way south.  That's when I found out Bill's health has not been the best, and with no local doctors or hospitals able to give him the best care, they are moving close to family back East.  They were flying out the next morning to find a new home.


I told Jan if she was seriously going to sell that furniture, that I would buy ALL of it.  The next thing I know, there was another text message that their house had sold, they would be leaving in a few short weeks and the furniture was mine.  

 I was frantic ... how am I going to get it?  Drive back, borrow the horse trailer ... fly back and rent a truck ...  then it dawned on me.  Maybe I could call on my best friends Patty and Dan.

Dan took his trailer and his granddaughter Laila, drove to Casa Grande and picked it all up.  I'm going to be providing smoked ribs to Dan for the rest of my life. 

 I'm absolutely thrilled to have such amazing pieces of antiquity .... but so sad to know the circumstances.  I just feel such empathy for Jan and Bill because I know they loved all this history as much as I do.  

So that's the story of how I ended up with what Jan calls the whorehouse couch.  Oh the stories it could tell.  There may be some red paint in my near future and maybe a red light on the porch.  If I can't find Prince Charming one way, maybe another will work!  

 I wish Jan and Bill the best and hope we can stay in touch.  It's not often you run into folks that become instant family.  Once I get back to Arizona and arrange the furniture, I'll post pictures.

As I said before, I'm blessed and I know it.  Remember the reason for this Easter celebration and do NOT buy any bunnies for your grandkids.



24 comments:

  1. What a beautiful story!
    I'm sad for your friends health but I'm so happy for you.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Frances ... I guess things are always changing.

      Delete
  2. I remember you talking about their home in the past! :) I wanted to see the inside you were talking about. Now I get to see some of it :) I'm sorry for the reason you get those treasures though. Hopefully it will all turn out ok for Bill. Very nice of Dan and Laila to go pick it up for you! You are blessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm praying they will both be okay. I'm sure Jan's new house will be just as fabulous!!

      Delete
  3. They are probably happy that someone that appreciates her things is taking them and will show them off. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly right Doug. They both are happy that furniture will have a home where it's well taken care of.

      Delete
  4. I'm very sorry to hear about Bill's health. Jan and Bill are wonderful people. Lynn and I had the pleasure of visiting them in their home in Casa Grande while we were in the same Escapees Chapter 45 and I remember how wonderful their decorations and furniture looked. Lucky you for getting it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are an amazing couple. Jan is another brave RV driver, taking their fifth wheel everywhere. I'm going to miss them.

      Delete
  5. It is sad about Bill, we hope things aren't too hard on him.
    You are very blessed and Jan knows you will love it as she did. Bittersweet story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my thought Patsy ... I don't know where to be sad or happy.

      Delete
  6. With all those newly acquired treasures you probably can't wait to get back to show them off. We are looking forward to some nice photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Marlene ... I can't wait to get back and move furniture around!! The longarm is going to be crowded in the corner!!

      Delete
  7. Sad about your friends circumstances but at least they know it's going to a good home!! Nice of Dan to go fetch it for ya!!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They know it will be cared for and appreciated to the moon!!!

      Delete
  8. This is, for sure, a good news bad news episode. I hope all goes well for Jan and Bill. And I'm so pleased their treasure are going to someone who will treasure them as well.
    Linda Sand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely miss them and will tell the story of the furniture to everyone.

      Delete
  9. From a "near death" experience to a ummm, can't say the word, experience. GO GIRL! Have a wonderful Easter

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sad for your friends but they knew you would cherish it as much as they did and it would have a good home. Glad you got to tell us about it. My first horse came with a calvary saddle. I could hardy wait to get a western saddle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are sad to be leaving all their cherished treasures, but looking forward to new adventures. You had a calvary saddle? NICE! Not so comfy to ride however.

      Delete
  11. Sorry to read why your friends passed the furniture on to you. It has gone to a good home where it will be cherished and I am sure they know that. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll have to drag out all my vintage clothing and have some pictures taken with the furniture!!

      Delete
  12. I too trust your friends health improves and restores!
    Sounds like this furniture is making you so
    happy.....how very nice👏👏
    Your not bringing it back to Calif for your big house?
    Thought this was your main home.
    Either way happy, happy, enjoy!!
    Linda a.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That big living room has NO furniture in it. It's suiting it stays in the old west of Arizona.

      Delete