Monday, April 10, 2023

It Was A Dog Bone Day

I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter, filling up on tasty eggy dishes from those 25 eggs you hid for the grandkids.  This was my contribution to the big breakfast for one.  This is a mushroom bacon Swiss quiche.  Sort of sounds like a burger.  As usual, I always put way too much stuff in the middle and not enough egg.


I was grumbling about the cost of eggs, though they are back down to $5.99 for 18, when I was surprised with this.  It used to happen often on the ranch where I was the chief egg gatherer, but nowadays, I don't think I've seen one in over 30 years.  It's a sign ... of what I don't know, but it's a sign!!


Sadly, bacon has not gone the same route.  One 12 ounce package (instead of the usual 16) is now $7.99.  I love bacon, but this is a rip off.  Maybe it's just that prices are higher in California.


As you probably know, Safeway is one of the more expensive stores.  In Arizona, that block of cheddar cheese is now $4.99 at Safeway.  Here at Save Mart, it's a whopping $7.99 at the moment ... for 8 ounces.  Just for giggles, I checked on the price of this huge bag of already shredded cheese.  THIS was 32 ounces and cost me $5.99.  Is it not the same cheese but processed more?  

Well yeah, it's a Mexican blend and it's dusted with cornstarch to keep it from sticking together, but I can live with that for quiche and tacos.  If I'm going to stay in the fabric business, I'm going to have to cut back on everything else.  Priorities you know!!


It was quite tasty alongside an English muffin, but was 10:30 before breakfast was served.  That's okay, it's not like I had an appointment with Prince Charming or anything.


When I finally retrieved the game camera, I was rather surprised that the fox was not the least bit interested in eggs ... colored or plain.  Well that's weird.  Watch the left side, then the top left corner.  Wait for it ....... what the heck?  Never in my life have I seen anything like that!!  Pretty athletic these kids!


Not wanting to waste the eggs, I sent Cooper out for his Easter egg hunt.  Yeah, I didn't hide them very well, which is probably why he found every single one.  That meant I had egg salad and crackers for dinner.  I mean really, did my parents cook these eggs the day before, set them in a basket on the counter for 24 hours, hide them for an hour outside in the sun ..... and then FEED THEM TO US?


Yes ... yes they did ..... because here's me at Easter on the original ranch in the high desert, behind our white picket fence.  I'm pretty sure that's a dog bone I'm chewing on.  Yes, there are rattlesnakes in the desert and I KNOW that 4" square wire fence kept them all out.


Even back then, I was a goer ... nothing could keep me down or IN except that fence.  One day they forgot to close the gate and I followed my dad to the field during harvest.  I think I was 3-1/2 at the time.  When they finally missed me and went looking, they found I had tried to crawl through the wooden gate by the barn and got stuck.  I cried myself to sleep.  And I wonder why I have crazy nightmares all the time!  LOL


Luckily I survived the dog bone days, the front yard, the day-old almost-rotten eggs and the cattle grazing in the back.  That's why I'm so tough ... you had to be to survive when you were born on a cattle ranch.


16 comments:

  1. Your quiche looks delish.
    You have more talents than you realize.
    Frances :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances, I have more disasters cooking than successes ... I was just lucky this time! LOL

      Delete
  2. Strange that I don't like hard boiled eggs, yet I do like deviled eggs...which is what we had with dinner for about week after Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you Dave ... I love deviled eggs, but plain, not so much!

      Delete
  3. And that's why your immune system is so strong. More kids should be chewing on dog bones and crawling through manure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are SO right Jim!!! I think maybe it was the molasses and oats cattle feed we ate from the quonset hut!

      Delete
  4. There is a price limit I buy my bacon. If under, I buy a couple of packages & freeze them. Eggs is still high at Safeway, but I am trying to buy local fresh eggs at $3/doz. I use a lot of Safeway 'Just 4 U' savings. When I go to the big 'city', I make my list, especially for fruits & veggies. Lynn Cross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same with Safeway Lynn. It's funny because here they don't have good deals like in Tucson.

      Delete
  5. The quiche looks delicious. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elva ... it was pretty tasty! But then what's not good when it's full of bacon?

      Delete
  6. The bacon looks to be cooked perfectly. Is that an induction hot plate? What is your secret for cooking bacon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a Ninja air fryer. Seven minutes and it's perfect! Best bacon cooker ever!

      Delete
  7. Fun times when you were little. But tough times as you got older. Had to give a helping hand around the ranch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now they would call that child labor!! It's okay though, we had a great time!!

      Delete
  8. Here is how I lake hard boiled eggs. It is tricky but worth it. First of course, remove the shell. Place the egg vertical, large end down, in a wire egg slicer, trying to hold the slices together as the wires go through the egg. Now, holding the egg together, place it on the slicer, with the previous slices parallel to bed of the the egg slicer and make a second cut. This time it will want to fall apart, so cup the palm of your hand over the egg and rotate 90 degrees on the bowl of the egg slicer, hold it over a small bowl and cut a third time. You will now have a bunch of egg white cubes (the size of the distance between the wires), and the yolk will be sort of mashed. Mix with a little mayo and salt (I prefer onion salt), and enjoy. The yolk mixes with the mayo, and the little cubes of egg white give you something to chew. Don't give up, you'll do much better on the second attempt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting way to cut them up ... I'll try it!!! Sounds downright delicious!

      Delete