Sunday, April 16, 2023

Hit or Miss .....

 I haven't hit up any antique stores in ages.  Many days I think about it but I just can't get myself out the door.  In the old days, Patty Chance and I used to take off at 7:00 in the morning, drive two hours to the coast, and spend all day looking at treasurers ... when they really WERE treasures.

I had to keep an eagle eye on that girl.  She's an ER Nurse.  In case you didn't know, they carry what I call nursey scissors with them AT ALL TIMES.  They can get you arrested for trespassing in people's flower beds, taking clippings of something they don't have in their greenhouse.  We came close a couple of times, but luckily she was able to talk her way out of it.

If we went out antiquing when the "boys" were around, we learned to hide things in the trunk and bring them in the next day.  If that failed, we used the "Nancy bought it for me" trick.  Don't tell Dan.

Anyway, off I went about 50 miles North to see what I could see.  I have to admit the things that interest us are hard to find.  In fact, most ALL of the dishes and glassware in the ANTIQUE store are the ones I use every day in the kitchen.  How could that be?  OMG ... I've become an antique!!

It's hard to look at everything and nothing ... a lot of which is just decoration stuff with ribbons and painted white wood.  Out of the corner of my eye I spotted these stuffed under a table.  I grabbed the nearest man and asked him to help a girl out by holding one up ... and he did!  They could not be more perfect for my Arizona living room ... early Western/Victorian parlor.  

The six panels were really cheap, because no one wants this stuff any more ... and completely lined with gold satin. I know ... weird ... but wait til I get it all decorated.


Then it was on to the next store, a big warehouse.  I really didn't expect to find anything, but I did have fun running into the same two men I met at the other store.  This place is a two story building full of individual booths.  If you find something you like, you make an offer and ask them to call the owner.

Sometimes it works ... sometimes not.  On this day it was a big HIT!  To be honest, any more I'm not so interested in the "antiqueness" or the value.  If I like it, I buy it.  And buy it I did!!  A red velvet footstool with hidden compartment to match the red whorehouse couch and chairs.  I offered $50 less than the asking price.  Even though the nice young man said the answer would be no, it was a yes.  YAHOO!!!


I came home with one more find.  I think this is the best day antiquing I've ever had.  I wish I could show you these treasures, but they are all wrapped up for transport to Arizona.  Way in the back on the top shelf were two double wick full brass kerosene lamps with these beautiful shades (I wish I could remember the name of the glass because it's pretty rare to find) AND hand blown chimneys.  

I asked the young man to call on this one.  He told the lady $75 LESS than what I offered and she said YES!!  Later he said she ALWAYS counters, but this time just said okay.  I can't wait to get to Arizona and unpack these beauties.    


I figured I had used up all my good luck, so I headed back home.  Of course I had to get diesel.  This is the cheapest station within 50 miles of my house.  It was a big miss, but what can you do.  My 50 gallon tank can be a buzz kill.


Feeling lucky, I stopped at Habit Burger on the way home.  This has been hit or miss ever since it opened. After spending 30 minutes (yes really) in the drive through line, I got my burger and headed home.  Luckily it was a HIT!  Probably the best one I've had there.  Juicy, loaded with bacon ... apparently they have a new cook because it was AWESOME!


I tried to follow that up with the $3.49 sundae, but was just too full.  It's in the freezer for today's treat.


It was a GREAT day and I'm SO excited to set up my new living room.  Interestingly enough, I did discover several more small antique shops in the area that have opened recently.  Most likely they just have OLD stuff and not truly antiques, but I may just have to check them out ... you know, just to be SURE!!


15 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see pictures of your antique s when you finish decorating.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love antiquing! We tried a few when we were in Arizona but 90% was SW decor, just not our thing. Now that we are back up north we'll go out again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely have the shops up there ... and back East, it's even better!!

      Delete
  3. Well you had an interesting fun filled day. "Nancy bought it for me "...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That foot stool was a great find! Sounds like you had a fun day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great time ... I'll have to go again soon.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a great day all the way around! Can't wait to see your AZ house all decorated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm following after you Shirley!!! LOVE your kitchen!

      Delete
  6. Nancy I enjoy your writing style and been following along for awhile. I'm confused about where you live. So you have a home in AZ that you live in in the winter? And a 5th wheel that travel with? And a home where you are now? Where are you right now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sort of a snowbird, but I travel back and forth more often, and yes, with a fifth wheel. It's quite a long drive, and getting in and out of a hotel with a dog and a parrot, along with all their food, can be a big pain ... so I pull the fifth wheel. I'm at my main house in California at the moment.

      Delete
  7. I doubt Antiques is the word today: Vintage comes to mind, just like me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would be correct Norm!!! I'm "vintage" .. kind of like old wine.

      Delete
  8. Oh I definitely will Jan!! Big hugs to you both. I hope the flight is a smooth one and I'll keep in touch. Remember to send me your address!!

    ReplyDelete