Tuesday, April 4, 2023

My Knight In Shining Armor!!

 Some days I wake up and after thanking God that I'm still alive, I decide not to get gussied up just for the gardener.  I mean really, I don't even talk to the guy, so why go to all that trouble.  The thing is, you just never know who is going to show up at your door ... and it can be rather embarrassing.

But first ... I forgot to show you how we kept the angel food cake fresh overnight on the ranch.  I use the same method today.  This is my 56 year old pressure cooker that works just as good today as the day it was born.  I rather like to hear the hissing and rocking as I make a complete guess as to when the food is going to be done.  The same goes for the electric pressure cooker (instant pot), come to think of it.  

 It has other uses too ... boiling water bath canning, boiling delicious whole crab, making pasta for 100 people .... it's definitely a keeper and big enough to cover that cake.


As you know, I have that leaky roof problem.  To be honest, I didn't want to call the original guys back, so I hit up the internet for "knight in shining armor".  I didn't really care if the armor was shiny or not, ANY knight would do.   If he rode a white horse, all the better.  In the meantime, I finished up the binding on this Halloween quilt.  I seem to be running a little late on these projects.


SURPRISE!  I actually found a roofing company right in my neighborhood with many good reviews.  What the heck ... let's give it a shot.  Luckily I got my name and phone number recorded before it hung up on me.  If I didn't get a callback, I would try again the next day.

Three hours later the phone rang.  I explained my problem and he said ..... you're not going to believe this ..... can I come over right now?  Why yes ... YES!!!  The second I hung up the phone, it dawned on me what I looked like and worse yet ..... what the HOUSE looked like. 

I frantically tried to fix my hair and throw on a little makeup ... and I mean literally THROW it on!!  I was picking up all the dog toys when the doorbell rang.  Wow ... I wasn't expecting THAT!!  Turns out he lives right around the corner.

Here's the problem .... or so the painters who crawled into the attic told me .... at least one of these vents is leaking water right down into my ceiling light in the bedroom.  OMG ... I didn't make the bed!!!!!!

Anyway, there stood my Knight in shining armor, or at least he was holding a shiny ladder just like the one Patsy and Bill helped me buy in Quartzsite ... AND he drove up in a white Chevy horse.  I locked up Cooper to staunch the barking and we headed for the bedroom with the unmade bed.  I showed him the ceiling, where upon he whipped out his ..... laser measuring tape.  I oohed and awed over that nice little device!

Then we went outside to measure the exact spot on the roof where the light fixture would be.  Sure enough, it's either the big vent from the fireplace or the little one to the left.  That sure narrowed it down.   


In a flash, he was up on the roof with tools and a caulking gun.  I'm still in shock from the fact that he showed up five minutes after he called.  Yes he's married.  You really didn't think I would miss that, right? And so I wrote him a check as he rode out of sight, taking his shiny ladder with him, saying "you've got my number if you need it"!!


I'm sure this was the look on my face as I waved goodbye.  I felt rather strange ... gosh, what am I going to fuss and worry about NOW?

Actually this is the small space heater I bought for my rig.  I think he's kind of cute, but definitely NOT a Knight in shining armor ... although he is SHINY!   My old one ran all night long and didn't heat it up one degree.  It's lasted a nice 12 years, so I decided to pick up a new one.  


April's Pink Moon should be showing up in full force tomorrow night and you know what THAT means.  It's that close to being a full moon on what night?    BINGO NIGHT!!!  This should be a kick in the pants, right?   Stay tuned for Bingo theatrics!!!





15 comments:

  1. So happy you got your roof fixed!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! Hopefully your knight in shining armor fixed your leaky vent and you can put that out of your head!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lucky yet again because finding contractors around here is like finding gold nuggets ... it just doesn't happen any more!

      Delete
  3. That heater has me giggling. I keep going back to that picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that hilarious? I didn't see it until I took the picture. Now I can't get it out of my brain!!

      Delete
  4. The heater is cute, looks like a cd player LOL. Nice to be able to get your roof fixed easily! Love the pan that covers the cake! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does look like my old CD player ... too funny!

      Delete
  5. So we get close to Tucson and I take Indy for a walk...it is COLD. I look up tonight's temps, WHAT, 35 degrees?????!!!!! Bottom line, we are hooked up at the fairgrounds for the night. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah ... the desert is NOT warm this year. The good news is that power is cheap! Rest up ... you've not far to go!!

      Delete
  6. Glad you got the roof repaired so quickly. I'm sure he was shocked seeing an unmade bed. Enjoy Bingo tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Hey ... you have to put on the dog when you're looking for Prince Charming!

      Delete
  7. Your knight in shining armor sounds like a great person to have around the corner!
    Yes, I'll bet he told his wife that your bed was unmade.
    I laughed at your story telling, thank you. 😊
    Have fun at Bingo. Stay sane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH NO! I didn't think of that!!! Now the neighborhood will know I don't make the bed!!! LOL. As to sane ... well you know me .........

      Delete