Tuesday, April 18, 2023

A Fashion Show .....

 It's raining.  Wouldn't you know, the exact day I turn the sprinklers back on, it would rain.  It's not a lot, just enough to mess up my not-so-clean truck and my really dirty Jeep!!  I do need to get them cleaned up ..... but that day is not today.  It's BINGO time.

I'm trying to fortify myself by eating dinner for breakfast.  Actually, I'm just trying NOT to throw the entire pan out the window.  I fried up some old hamburger, some very frost bitten peas and carrots and the last of the tater tots.  Sounds good, right?  Even looks pretty tasty.  It was terrible.  Sauce is the secret to these recipes and I didn't have any.  Not even the kitty kitties will eat this.


Oh the things you can find in my garage if you dig deep enough.  This is one of the reasons I think I used to live in the 1800's in another life.  I was fascinated with the clothing my entire life.  When I finally got a job that paid decently, I scrounged every antique store in California ... literally from one end to the other ... for vintage clothing.  Obviously I led a double life, because my real clothes at this time were motorcycle leathers.

Everything is the real deal, down to the petticoats and corsets.  Believe me, you haven't lived until you've been stuck in one of those corsets and cannot breathe or reach the hooks to get it off.  Panic set in.  I almost called 911 before one hook finally broke.  No wonder the women who wore those things had maids to help them get unhooked!!!  This hat was a kick ... that's a real dead crow on top.


People were tiny back in the day.  I couldn't find a pair of boots to fit my big feet, so I had these made.  Oh to be that skinny again!!!!  Yup ... even the red tights are old.  Often I would head on up to Sonora and the old gold mining town of Columbia and walk around in my getup.  In normal clothes, I was pretty shy, but dress me up and I could be loud and proud!!


I still have all of these things packed away in two cedar chests along with a few more outfits.  


Moving on up to the 1900's ... this was a fashion show held at our church.  It was a lot of fun that I would love to do again, if I could lose 30 pounds!  And we all know THAT is not going to happen!!


There was lots of back breaking work going on in the garage again.  I pulled out all the old Halloween stuff and decided it needed to go, along with several Christmas tree sets.  Sadly, no one trick or treats any more.  It's too bad that the kids today can't experience real fun.  People are too scared they will fall down or get a little dirt on them.  

Afraid of getting "bad" candy?  Heck when I was in school, we were afraid of getting razor blades in the apples.  I don't think I've ever heard of anyone getting poisoned at Halloween, but I could be wrong.  I guess I'm just from pioneer stock when people were tougher!!

Anyway, this stuff didn't last but an hour on the street corner when two ladies drove by in a van and slammed on the brakes.  I thanked them profusely as they loaded up every single item, including the broken chair.  Wait until they plug in the screaming banshee lady.  The noise is deafening!!


Finally it's dinner time and I'm beat, lugging all those boxes around.  I threw two chicken breasts in the air fryer ... mostly to chop up for Cooper's weekly dinners.  Yeah, I left it in a little too long me thinks, but he loved it!  I snitched some for my Caesar salad ... please don't tell him.


It's the calm before the storm ... I'll be resting up for another exciting night of BINGO!!  And I'll post the photo shoot over the next couple of days since it's rather long.  It's going to make you laugh!!!  Look for that same corset!!!





15 comments:

  1. Love the pictures of you! I bet it feels good to get rid of some of that clutter. We have only been here a few years and already need to purge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes it does!! The more I get rid of, the better I feel!!

      Delete
  2. Those outfits are adorable on you!
    Becareful at bingo tonight.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frances ... they were a lot of fun to find.

      Delete
  3. Those outfits would have fit right in with my old tyme photo parlor...(Miss Lillys') ...back in 1981-83. I used polaroids in a 4x5 Speedgraphic and sepia toned them for "vintage look". Out the door in 10 mins. Boy was it fun.
    Just couldn't make any money were I was located.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh ... how fun would THAT be!! It's pretty popular up in Columbia and down in Tombstone.

      Delete
  4. Well, the COVID bug has hit me...came on like a storm Saturday noon. I am just now starting to feel better, but can't think worth a darn...Marcia now has it as of last night. Can't remember a darn thing you have written these past few days but I know I read and enjoyed it...probably took me an hour to read each one. No idea how I got it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well rats!!! Lots of hot tea, lots of rest and call the doctor. Several people here have it. Mine only lasted about four days, but I'm mean, so there's that.

      Delete
  5. Ohhhh...I would have loved to have seen you all dressed up in Columbia. Your hamburger concoction needed a lot of cheese. Cheese makes everything better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheese ..... yup that would have fixed it Elva!!!

      Delete
  6. Love the pictures of you! If may neighbor Karen saw your Halloween stuff, she'd have grabbed it! Her favorite holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly it's my favorite too ... but no one trick or treats here any more. Too sad ... what am I going to do with all this scary house music??

      Delete
  7. That fashion show was so fun! You better those clothes at least! Maybe in your 90s you'll be able to wear them. You look beautiful!
    It does feel good to purge though, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you are a good example of purging Patsy. I'm trying to follow your example!!

      Delete