Friday, February 10, 2023

There You Are ....

It's a new day with a 43 degree morning and 20-30 mph winds, gusting up to 50 mph.  I think I better go outside and nail everything down.  Wow these winds are crazy!! 

 TGIF ... not that it matters to us retired people.   As I've mentioned before, I rarely go out before 9:00, so I was thankful when I got the message that Patty and Dan's hot water heater install was pushed to 9:00.  My plan was to "drop in" and ask if maybe they could give me an estimate also.

He was a little intimidating, that 6'6" guy manhandling the hot water heater into the hole in Dan's house.  Turns out he was a very nice guy, one of two owners of this small business.  I gave him directions and he said he would stop by before his next appointment and take a quick look.

In the meantime, there you are!!!!  I've been missing some of the critters that usually hang out here.  I was pretty surprised to see this pretty lady getting a nice long drink.  


She sure is small for one so alone.  There were no others around, which surprised me.  Soon she wandered off down the hill and I turned to more honey-dos.


Not expecting to take off any time soon, I crawled under the rig to open the drain to the fresh water tank.  Yup ... I get wet every time.  Whoever designed this thing never emptied a tank.  Then it was on to the low point drains, which were VERY hard to open.  At least they won't vibrate off like the grey tank handle did.  Again, I got wet.  They forgot to tell me about this part of RV ownership.


One more ... emptying the hot water tank.  This time I placed a piece of foil to keep the water away from me and the rig.  All tanks are now empty, which brings some satisfaction that I remembered how to do it.


Back in the house, I made the BIG mistake of going in the sewing room in the morning.  Anyone want to wash some windows?  THIS is why they make shades.  To cover up dirty windows!  Ok, when I get a chance, I'll get out those fancy cleaning cloths I bought and clean these up, but don't expect me to do the ENTIRE house.


About that time the doorbell rang.  Yes, even in the desert, we have doorbells.  There you are ... the Plumber was checking out my hot water heater.  He said it would be an easy fix.  That's good to hear since the last guy that was here said it was a major job and would cost a fortune.  

Naturally hot water heaters for modular houses are not the same as regular houses.  They are more expensive ... but if you don't install the "required" one, your insurance won't cover you if anything happens.  I am NOT going there.  There are also some weird pipes that need to be rerouted.  Okay then.

He said he would email an estimate to me.  If it's anywhere near what Dan had done, it will be just fine.  The most important part, I will get a pan placed underneath along with a drain line in case it leaks when I'm not here.  Worth every penny.


Now that business was taken care of, I whipped up a nice quiche after Patty mentioned that's what she was making.  The only thing worse than not enough eggs, is too many, since I now have three dozen.  Not wanting any to spoil, I figured this was a good way to make five disappear.  Anyone know how long they last?

It's bacon, zucchini, onion and Swiss cheese.  YUM YUM!!  Put all that in a Marie Calendar's frozen pie shell (which I have sung praises of in the past) and bake for 55 minutes.  Oh my goodness ... it was GOOD!!!!


The plan was to head out to the art festival in Tubac this morning, but with these crazy winds, I'm not sure we really want to drive that far, let alone hang out in the wind and dust.  We shall see what transpires.


17 comments:

  1. The wind stopped instantly here on Ogilby Road about 40 minutes ago (6:15 now). Maybe it will come back as the guessers say it will but for now it’s very quiet. Enjoy the day.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see the deer back, they are so much sun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so elegant in how they move. A joy to watch.

      Delete
  3. With a high cost of food venison on the table sounds good
    The answer to your question on water heater /insurance is very simple… uninsured / mobile home NOT Install by a professional and if necessary No permit The question you need to ask your insurance is if it is installed by a professional and certified and if a permit is necessary .
    Here’s the question .
    what is your house that you’re living in in Arizona .
    did come to the site on two parts and put together that’s considered a manufactured mobile home. The codes are different for a manufactured home /or a stick built home on site. manufactured homes are not built the conventional way so everything is put together at the factory and then shipped to you (including the water heater No permit necessary). you mentioned modular home. The difference between a modular home and a manufactured home is is the axles and wheels are not there an The module is placed on a foundation On a manufactured home the axles stay in place but the tires can be removed … Both have different criteria to the insurance company. Have the plumber install the water pan water heater breaker box in the garage it’s not a physical part of the house… Insurance issues solved
    PS Drive any housing development that’s why you see most tankless units /water heaters Strategically placed in the garage or on the exterior wall of the house. If you don’t believe me ask your plumber or any contractor Plus it makes a lot of sense





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the tankless setup at my other house. It takes twice as long to get hot water to the tap, meaning you waste twice as much water getting it hot. So I'm sticking with the old hot water heater tank.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful small deer. Good luck with the hot water heater and save room for the sand if you head out today. I'm still chewing it from yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh ... I can't believe the winds Doug. This is downright crazy!!

      Delete
  5. After FINALLY breaking down and calling Customer Support, a long 1 hour phone call has found that the laptop is toast...they are sending me another and the one that is toast is already at UPS. We figure that the Photoshop program (ten years old) was the culprit, and it could be sent to a repair shop, fixed, then sent back, but since it was so new, Amazon agreed to replace. You know, having a computer geek call for tech support is like asking a male driver to stop and ask directions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm happy to hear they are replacing it completely. Nothing worse than a brand new computer that has to be completely revamped on day one! Hope the next one is better.

      Delete
  6. Our wind died off sometime through the wee hours this am and today it is minimal but we still wish it would go away. The sun has been gorgeous, I got some tanning done! :)
    Good luck with the decisions, hope the estimate is satisfactory for you.
    Sweet deer. ♥
    In case you were interested, if you lightly spray or grease a pie or cake pan, you don't even need the crust. I make crustless quiche when I have a lot of eggs. Eggs in our house last a long time, I just hard boiled my last 4 today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crustless quiche sounds pretty good ... I'll try it next time. If the wind ever quits, I might try some tanning. It's been horrible here.

      Delete
  7. As one old woman, I buy eggs 18 at a time. But I usually eat one every morning, one way or another with toast. And then occasionally, two or three at a time (not a baker). I've read they'll keep at least up to 5 weeks in the refrigerator....though I'm usually out of them by 3. You can freeze them, but I think it's a bit of labor. Not much, but a bit. Ha, maybe you can do them in one of those freeze dried machines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ... I never knew just how long they would last. I should be able to down them in 5 weeks!!

      Delete
  8. Dadgumit. I signed into Google but it still posted my comment as Anonymous. I'm JudithK. Let's see if this one says so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've notice it happens to me on occasion also, Judith.

      Delete
  9. The English types don't refrigerate their eggs, they just leave them out in a cool room, and they will easily last more than two months. We refrigerate our eggs in this country and again they will last way more than two months. I do both, mostly no refrigeration unless I plan to have them for a long time. Mostly as long as you deep them below ninety degrees as they start to incubate around 99 degrees. Eggs are good for you and think of them as getting all your vitamins in a shell.
    Bobseyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping you would respond Bob because I know you eat a lot of eggs. Thank you ... I just never knew how long they would be good ... I didn't want to get sick by trying to save a few pennies ... or dollars as the case may be!!

      Delete