Monday, February 27, 2023

SNOW DAY!!!!!

Your regular programming has been postponed due to SNOW!!!  IT'S A SNOW DAY yet again!!  Early morning sun tried to fool us yesterday as the clouds began to crowd in over the horizon.  Rodeo pictures have been suspended until regular programming resumes.


It was different ... at 50 degrees the rain started to come down.  I did a little snow dance.  Remind me not to do that again!!  In no time, at only 41 degrees, the snow came fluttering down from the sky.  


And it just kept coming for a couple of hours.  Cooper was not the least bit impressed, especially when I finally made him go outside.  It always looks so fantasy-like when the snow sticks to the cactus.


I figured it wouldn't last long, so I ran outside in my slippers to get a picture of the snow covered driveway.  It had already begun to disappear.  I can't say as much for the snow on the slippery concrete next to my garage.  It's a good thing there's some nice sturdy RV cover poles to hang on to.  A lifesaver, so to speak.


My big beautiful tree looks rather majestic ... made possible by some crazy photoshop sliders just for fun.  I see images like this all the time and wondered how they photographed it.  Surprise!!  It's done after it comes out of the camera.


The view was fabulous.  I couldn't believe two hours later, it was still snowing some of the biggest snowflakes I've seen.


These are individual flakes that just hit the bricks.  I don't think I have ever seen flakes this big in my lifetime.  They were 1/2 to one inch across!


Those aren't specks on the wall ... that's the snow coming down.  Sadly, it was too wet to make another snowman, and to be honest, I wasn't looking forward to having my hands frozen off.


Look who came to visit?  I hear him every morning about 5:30 (when it's still dark) as he sings his song.  He's rather smallish, so I'm guessing he's a young one.  He was flinging his beak back and forth to remove the snow and get the seed below.  The little finch was taking advantage of the hole being dug.  A little fuzzy, it was taken through a window from a long ways away.  This guy is pretty flighty.


 Mother Nature put on her best dress for a few hours, then went back to sunshine with a veil of clouds.  On THIS morning, it's down to 31 degrees ... feels like 24.  I've never seen the temperatures fluctuate so wildly before.  Today should be sunny with a high of 62.  Lucky for my neighbors, it's too cold to lay outside and get a winter tan.

For the ladies ... here's the bad boy of rodeo.  Nineteen years old and man can he ride those broncs.  Of course he comes from a rodeo family.  He has said in the past if his granddad and father can win a championship, so can he ... and he's been doing just that, gathering up lots of that green stuff called money along the way.
 

More rodeo coming up .......



14 comments:

  1. Brrrr…. Lovely looking snow but better in your neighbourhood than mine. Heavy wet snow causes all kinds of issues so be glad it melts off quickly. Perhaps a couple of strips of carpet on the cement pad for the rig may be in order, too smooth cement is a no no in places that get wet.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh .. good idea Deb! I even have an old piece of carpet I could use!

      Delete
  2. Nothing like Fresh Snow...of course, them folks in Southern Cal are screaming their heads off over what little snow they got...it's as if the world has ended. Now we know why they call them "snowflakes". lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty crazy ... they closed practically every road in California over that two inches of snow.

      Delete
  3. That snow sure is a beautiful contrast to the desert landscape. I wonder how many years it will be before you see that again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually happens here about every other year. Who knew there was so much rain and snow in the desert?

      Delete
  4. I'm thinking that cowboy has more than his share of young ladies after him! :) The snow is beautiful but I'm sure you are glad it only happens once in awhile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Shirley, me too!! Yeah, no doubt he's a heartbreaker.

      Delete
  5. As Crocodile Dundee would say…. If that’s a male you could fool me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He likes to be different ... and I guess the hair is photo and news worthy!

      Delete
  6. Lovely photos of snow in the desert. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so pretty Judith ... I just love it, but I don't particularly want to be out driving in it.

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed your winter pictures too.
    So pretty but so unusual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Loree ... it just seems weird to see snow in the desert.

      Delete