Thursday, February 16, 2023

SNOW!!!!!!!

 Heavens to Betsy!!  It's a lovely 28 degrees outside with a soon to be 22 degrees before I'm done typing.  Woohoo that's some chilly weather!!  I'm pretty glad I'm in a nice warm stick house instead of my rig boon docking somewhere.  


The snow quit falling about 7:00 as the sun came up over the mountains.  I do love the snow, as long as I'm not driving in it.  I'll have a few more images tomorrow.  I was in a big hurry to get up and about because the electrician was due at around 9:00.


Here's my sad little snowman!  My excuse is the dry snow.  It just didn't want to stick together.  Before I got the head on, the two bottom pieces fell over.  Once back up, I plunked the head on, to have the bottom piece break in half.  A snowman builder, I am NOT!

His head fell off once and half of it disappeared, which is why there is a big lump on the right wide.  He fell over once again about three seconds after taking this picture.  Oh well ......... I tried.


Neither Cooper nor I were keen to go outside, so I started this quilt while waiting for the electrician who called about two minutes later.  Hwy 10 is still completely closed, so he wanted to reschedule to Friday.  Luckily that worked for me.  Can you imagine having an entire freeway detour around five miles of surface streets for three days?


Since Jonathan has been without his usual Hawaiian banana bread for over a month, I whipped up a batch just for him.  Okay, I admit it's my favorite also, so he will just have to share.


Hey .... I've got a little time on my hands ... why not get frustrated with Frigidaire!  The first filters I ordered just do NOT remove the taste of the water.  I ordered one of their fancy dancy ones to see if it made any difference.  For $57.00, it BETTER!!

Funny, I had not received any shipment notice, so I called them.  It took three calls to figure out the first part of their phone menu.  I finally got a human who put me on hold for 15 minutes, then hung up on me.  I tried to call back and it said they were just too busy to take my call.  

Ok ... I'll try the CHAT thing, but by then I wasn't in the best of moods.  At least Shaquanda was nice about it.  Do you ever wonder about the history of the names people have?  Maybe it's just me.  Anyway, after quite some time (this is only part of the conversation) she gave me a tracking number.  I tried it immediately and it didn't work.

WAIT ... don't hang up ... that number is not working!  She finally said I would receive it by Feb 18.  So bottled water it is until the filter arrives.


Time to put another quilt on the machine.  This is that one of crazy small pieces I made at the request of Patty.  The pattern is called Bear Claw, so appropriately, I used the bear claw quilting pattern.  Afraid if I leave the room something will happen, I usually get down on the floor to play with Cooper.


You can't tell he's obsessed, right?  There are two pluses to this activity.  One, I stay fairly limber crawling all over the floor.  Two, I'm constantly picking up pieces of thread that magically appear out of nowhere, meaning I don't have to vacuum quite as often.  It's a win-win situation!


At last it was finished, ready for Patty to sew on the binding and ship it off.  This one is going to ALASKA!!


I kept looking outside, hoping it would snow some more, but the sun came out and eventually melted it off, except for right in front of my patio.  I got to enjoy it all day long ... and it's STILL there this morning.


Dinner was meatloaf sliders.  I recently learned the trick of squishing hamburger completely flat in a small zip-lok bag, making it super simple to defrost and a small enough amount that I don't have to eat it for a week.


Oh and by the way, I've started my new cholesterol diet.  I ate a small salad for lunch.  It had lettuce, tomatoes, cheddar cheese, bacon and some leftover chicken, smothered in thousand island dressing.  Take THAT cholesterol!!  

Yeah I know ... leave out the cheese and bacon ... but SOMEBODY has to eat it up!!  After all, there are starving children in the world, as my Mom said a million times.


18 comments:

  1. Love the quilt. I got binding sewn on 3 quilts yesterday , now to hand sew. My Father used to say "there were starving kids in St Henri ( a poor area near us ) who would love to eat this food " my brother would say " send it to them then " got a slap up the side of the head every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow ... you are on a roll with those quilts!!! Um yes, I think I would have had the same result had I said the same as your brother! LOL

      Delete
  2. Nice of the electrician to call. A lot of serves and trades don’t bother with that courtesy. The banana bread looked wonderful. I thought the bear claw was a leaf! Lol. Snow is always pretty at someone else’s unless they are close by.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems to me most quilt patterns don't really look like their name!

      Delete
  3. That has to be the scariest snowman I have ever seen! You should consider moving to Hollywood and becoming a special effects artist for a horror movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha I think you are right! He wasn't exactly Frosty!!

      Delete
  4. I’m glad it’s you with the awful four letter word and not us here in Yuma. The cold arctic wind here has been bad enough. The bear claw pattern looks great.
    Ray and Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just love reading about your adventures...you are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much .. although I'm not sure my snowman would agree with you!!! He's rather a hot mess!

      Delete
  6. Thank goodness the weather will solve that snowman's problems. That is the ugliest I've ever seen, but you don't get much practice 😕 Good luck with your delivery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it!! That's my excuse! I'm never around snow any more, so I lack certain skills!!

      Delete
  7. Have you ever tried the Carbonaut Low Carb Bread? We especially like the "Seeded" flavor. We get it at Sprouts (Tucson has a few of them), 2 carbs per slice, and it really does taste good. Also like the Sola Golden Wheat bread, which Walmarts seem to carry now and then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have ESP. I think we are going to Green Valley where the HAVE a Sprouts! I'll get some and try it.

      Delete
  8. When I first saw the picture of your snowman I thought you had tried to build a puppy dog out of snow. One sitting up. Then I read your process and what it was...lol You are right about the snow it has to be snowman building snow to work. I heard a lot about those starving kids growing up, also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Deb ... we do think alike. I actually thought the snowman looked like a dog also!!!

      Delete
  9. Cute snow man! Cooper is even cuter! Love the sliders, never had one, but you could be tempting me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sliders are portion control Shirley ... at least for me.

      Delete