Friday, February 3, 2023

Down Day One

There is something to be said for a sticks and brick house.  One ... it's WARM.  It took all day for the house to heat up, but Jonathan's heater came on immediately.  After a long day of hanging on for dear life, he crashed big time.  That little bit of red is the shoulder of his wing.  Although you can't see it, there are red and blue feathers there.  Poor guy ... he was exhausted!!

Two ... the shower is BIG, with LOTS of hot water!!!  No banging my elbows or trying to conserve water so you don't run out!  I can actually get a washcloth wet in warm water without putting it in the microwave.  It's funny though, how being water conservative holds over to the stick house.


Cooper was the same happy camper!  He just loves sitting on the couch next to warm Mom.  Especially when it's a BIG couch and he has plenty of room!


Surprisingly, I DID think to put the game camera out, but got nothing.  It's been very cold and windy since I got here.  Those coyotes aren't dumb ... they know when to stay home and snuggle up.  They have however, been hanging out close to my house all around the perimeter, including the front porch area.   How do I know that?  They have left signs EVERYWHERE.  Be careful where you step!!

I spent almost three hours on the computer, trying to balance one of my accounts so I could pay my insurance bills.  It's hard to keep track of that stuff when you are on the road.  As an accountant, I should love balancing, but I don't.  It's a pain!!!

Although this was supposed to be a "down day", there was just too much to do for me to sit long.  I unloaded the fridge and freezer, followed by most of my clothes.  Then it was on to the boxes of fabric and all the leftover rally stuff.  Oh yeah ... laundry!!  Those rally tablecloths are STILL soaking in the washing machine.

Next I was off to the grocery store.  Too bad I missed the Senior Day 10% discount, because this 18 pack of eggs was $8.99.  I suppose that's better than a dozen at $8.99 I saw in California.  I've been very ... lets just say "conservative" when it comes to food, but it's time to get CHEAP.  That roasted chicken I used to buy at $6.99 is now $9.99.  In case you were wondering, the eggs are for Cooper and Jonathan.  I'm definitely not eating any of them at that price.


I've had these rolls and some Swiss cheese for some time, so I figured I better use it up.  I cut them in half, smothered them with regular and (woohoo) grey poupon mustard, before layering on ham and Swiss cheese.  I brushed the tops with melted butter, garlic and onion powder.  In the oven they went at 325 for about 18 minutes.  If you need sliders for anything, these are DELICIOUS, quick and easy!

Cut them up before serving.  I ate two, completely forgetting bread does not like me any more.  We had a knock down drag out fight about 2 am.


More fabric came out of the rig before I sat down to order Jonathan food.  My to-do list is SO long!!  Out of the corner of my eye I spotted this guy, not once, but twice in my back yard.  Or maybe there are two of them.  Terrible picture with my phone, looking through glass and way too far away.  If you move even a tiny bit, they run off.


I'll be ensconced in the house most of the morning.  It's a chilly 45 degrees with 20 mph winds for the next four hours, and probably for the next six weeks, since Punxsutawnwy Phil saw his shadow.  Hey, didn't he die?  Do they have a new Phil now??  I'm thinking I just might have a REAL down day and not do a darn thing.  Yeah, we all know that's not me.  

There is one down side to being in a stick house ... Cooper's play area has been expanded from 26 square feet to a 120 square foot carpeted non-slip playing arena.  Oh my aching knees and back!!!!!



20 comments:

  1. Ah, the glory of being home the first few days! Our 'vacation' is about 1/2 way done. Although we are enjoying ourselves, that shower, couch and bed will feel good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!!! A big sigh of relief to just veg out for a few days.

      Delete
  2. Got a cooked chicken at Sam's yesterday, still $4.98...don't know how long they can keep that price though. Bought dozen eggs 10 days ago at Winn Dixie and it was an amazing $3.99. Looked at the eggs two days ago and a dozen are $6.99.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy! Makes you wonder what will be outrageously expensive tomorrow! I'll be going soon to Costco in Tucson soon for a yummy chicken.

      Delete
  3. Wharton Willy (our Ontario prognosticator) says winter is only alive for a mere 6 weeks. Maybe you need a third home in Ontario, Canada. Lol

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wharton Willy ... these guys make me laugh!!! I'm thinking Ontario is WAY too cold for me!

      Delete
  4. From the Joke dept:
    A reporter was interviewing a Chicken farmer, and ask the farmer why the Egg prices are going up. " He answered: It's because half my flock of chickens are now, identifying as roosters.!"
    (Drum roll)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love going, but it's nice to be home as well. :) I found 18 eggs for $4.53 the other day at Walmart, only because one of the workers pointed them out to me. They were hidden in-between the $10.39 ones. I had to put my glasses on just to make sure she was right. :) Your sliders look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not only is the price of eggs high but also so changeable. Enjoy your relaxing day...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to get a dozen free eggs at Safeway all the time for being a member. I guess we are out of luck now!

      Delete
  7. Let's see, about your roasted chicken: 9.99 versus 6.99. According to my calculator, that works out to a little more than the official 7% inflation rate. I guess I am just a conspiracy nut. I should try harder to "Follow the Math/Science!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you ... funny though, how all those theories keep coming true.

      Delete
  8. I'm with Shirley, even though going and returning for us is only to a plot of land.
    I'm sure there are benefits of having a sticks and bricks home, just look at those kids of yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A rig parked for several months counts as a stick house. The only difference is I don't have to empty the black tank here! YAY!!

      Delete
  9. Now, now, you should be eating those eggs yourself. They are full of nutrients and are the only food we eat that has all the nutrients in them for life. And since I raise chickens so I can eat corn-less eggs and chicken, I can tell you they cost a lot to raise them up and feed them. Only the big guys can do it cheaply. And as far as protein, I think they have been the best value of all foods for a long time. I think it costs me 25 dollars in feed, just to rise a chick up until it starts to lay and they stop laying or slow down a lot in the winter for a month or two when they molt.
    Bobseyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True ... feed is expensive too. I agree they are a great food to consume ... even if they are a little expensive. Hoping the price goes down soon because substituting applesauce for eggs won't fly with my two critters. (That's an old trick from an old cook)

      Delete
  10. So cute Jonathan and Cooper happy to be home.

    ReplyDelete