Tuesday, September 13, 2022

When It Rains, It Pours!!

 You know that old saying ... when it rains it pours?  I think it came from Arizona.  When it rains in California, you get a few sprinkles here and there, maybe some small hail and a little wind.  In Arizona it POURS like I've never seen, hail strikes the windows so hard you think they are going to break and the wind will sweep you right off your feet.  

You can't exactly tell here, but there's a sheet of water coming down that washes everything away.  Hopefully that includes spiders and scorpions.


Open the front door and you can't hear anything except the roar of water and hail falling on the tin roof.  Yeah ... I love it.  The smell of the desert when it's raining is something you can't express.  Of course it would help if the gutters on this side of the house actually let water through.  

I don't know what's inside them, but no water is coming out the bottom.  I'm not sure I really want to know, but gutter cleaning has been added to the list.


With all the rain, I was surprised to see this girl on my camera.  It doesn't help that they have built 300 some houses in the nearby area.  In the first few years I was here, there were many deer that stopped by for a drink almost every day.  

Last year I think there were maybe two?  It's sure nice to see them coming around.  This beauty is pretty careful, probably smelling the coyotes and the bobcat.


And then there was THIS guy!!!  I don't think there's an animal more majestic than these Rocky Mountain mule deer.  Least I think that's what they are.  Just look at that rack!!  


It's a FABULOUS 69 degrees this morning with highs in the 80's for the entire week.  Me thinks summer is gone ... or at least I hope it is!  

While it's pouring outside, I loaded this quilt on to the frame.  Things have been going a little smoother lately, or at least when there was a problem, I was able to figure it out.  


I'm becoming an expert at picking out all those tiny little stitches.  My seam ripper is now dull as can be, so I suppose I'll have to go to the quilt store and buy another.  OH DARN!!!


I had dinner last night at the best restaurant in town.  The Chance House makes good grub!!  Honesty, anything is better than the chicken tacos I've had every meal for the last week.  Which reminds me, I've found the perfect snack food.

Frozen grapes!!  Who knew grapes could be so good?  The big green ones freeze nicely and make the perfect snack.  It takes awhile to eat them without freezing your teeth, so they last longer.  AND the best part ... I'm not throwing them away after a week in the fridge when they shrivel up and die.

I should be headed out on an adventure this week.  The forecast is sunny with clouds, which means the dirt roads will dry up and I can get on with my next adventure.  

In the meantime, I've got 444 spam emails to go through.  Oh what fun!!



13 comments:

  1. No "deer with a rack" just a "bat without a rack" lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha apparently I deleted the wrong one. Not enough coffee yet. It's fixed ... rack is back.

      Delete
    2. WOW, Jim and Barb might even fly down from South Dakota to take that rack back home! lol

      Delete
  2. Getting caught up on last few days of blogs...those cookies look amazing! That French Toast one would be my pick LOL. I could even justify the 140 calories with my coffee in the am haha. We love the desert smell after the rain too :) Frozen grapes sound yummy, could be used as ice in champagne haha. :) Such a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been my observation that most animals don't live in the desert any more but have moved into the housing areas for safety and lots of food. Why live in a barren desert when you can live in a nice place where there's lots of food and less predation, although, the predators seem to be moving into those same areas as that's where their food is.
    Bobseyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree with Bobseyes comment. If I were a critter I would definitely move to the outskirts of town, where backyard gardens, irrigated vegetation, and garbage makes for good eatin'. Of course you would need to be traffic-wise.

      One of my small dogs was attacked by a coyote on the edge of town. (Happy ending, though.) A real paradise for coyotes.

      Delete
    2. Oh I'm so glad your puppy was okay. I love to see coyotes, but there is a downside. Actually there used to be a LOT more deer before they built the last 300 houses. Now I don't see them much at all. We seem to be encroaching on THEIR territory.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful quilts, love the colors. You sure got a lot of rain and too bad you can't bring it to your home in California. BTW shrivelled grapes plumb up again in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marlene! I'll keep that in mind about the grapes! Maybe I won't throw so many away.

      Delete
  5. That is one beautiful buck! Hopefully they are becoming more tolerant with the humans and you will see them more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing the big guys! I thought with the recent fires I might see more, but they are few and far between.

      Delete