Sunday, September 11, 2022

Victor Let Me Down

NEVER FORGET 9/11


Sometimes I wonder what goes on around here at night.  Things happen in the early morning hours.  Cooper, while looking at me to throw the ball, suddenly jumps to the right, looks past me and barks.  YIKES!!  I whirl around and there's nothing there.  I wonder if there are ghostys from the past passing through my house.   Yesterday he even ran to the window and barked like someone was there.  Nope ... no one.  It's been weird around here lately.

It's probably just the full moon, which wasn't quite full on Friday night.  It barely peaked through the clouds, making a rather nice dramatic Halloween effect.  


I took more pictures last night, but it will take me some time to download all 100!!  It was still swimming in the clouds, but I may have gotten a few shots of the Harvest Moon.   


That's also probably why the bats are out again.  Not in force yet, as the hummingbird feeder is still lasting one day.  They come from Colossal Cave about 7 miles away.  Hopefully I'll get more images of these guys feeding when they show up in force.  


In the meantime, even more critters have come to visit.  As you probably already know, pack rats and rats in general, are a problem around here.  They especially like to chew on wiring ... under your house, in your car and even sprinkler control wiring.  It must be mighty tasty!  

Therefore, we have lights and traps set everywhere.  In fact, I had just purchased several new ones since they do tend to become disgusting after catching just ONE.  I set this NEW trap last week and looky here!!  Yes Dan, I hate to admit it, but you were right.  After five years, something drug it further under the house out of reach.  

I have two choices .... leave it there for eternity, or try to get it back.  My longest rake actually did the trick and I didn't have to craw under with the creepy crawlies to get it.  Alas, Victor let me down.  It didn't kill that critter, it only caught his leg.  It was the biggest mouse I've ever seen, but at least it was dead.


Dans suggestion was to nail it to a piece of 2x4.  Great idea except I didn't have any wood at all.  So THIS is my brilliant idea (although that remains to be seen).  I took some construction adhesive and glued it to a heavy paver left over from my sidewalk.  I don't think they will be dragging this very far!  It's reset with some tasty peanut butter ... I'll let you know how it works.

I'm following Bob's adventure into rat territory.  If his idea works, I may just try it, although I really don't want them dying under the house.  It's the old battle of man versus mouse, or rat as the case may be!!


I finished up another quilt, learning even more tricks after becoming totally frustrated with twisty thread.  A cheap piece of batting stuck in the right place seems to have fixed the problem.  Thank you to the ladies who answer weird posts on Facebook.  

I spent the next few hours finishing up this one.  I'm SO very happy it's done!! 


Probably my least favorite of all time.  It's one of those "well you made a quilt for HER, can you make one for ME?"  It's a long story and I'm not happy with the lap quilt, but it is what it is.  I'm not doing another in spite of the fact she still has an entire huge bag full of material.  So far this one has run me $50 because she had no clue what was actually needed.


With lows finally in the 60's, we are expecting more rain for the next 3 days.  YAY for cool weather on the patio!!  Time to check the game camera and the rat traps!!



6 comments:

  1. Easy trick .. Tie a piece of fishing string to the rat trap that way you could pull it out when you need it
    You could also do the same thing to one way rat traps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another great idea. Especially when there's a rat in the trap and you really don't want to touch it!

      Delete
  2. I was thinking the same thing as comment #1, but put a small eye-hook into the side or front of the trap, attach fishing line. Seems like an easy way to do it . (SMALL Eye-Hook, and NOT on top, but into one of the four sides!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think rats would die under the house. They'd either be out looking for food or delirious from hunger and off wondering around. I haven't had that problem, but maybe I'm not killing any? The best way to find out about stuff is to test things out, if they stink, stop doing it. :O)
    Bobseyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a plan. If your system works, I'm definitely doing it!!

      Delete