Thursday, September 15, 2022

Bats In My Belfry!

Oh how I love these cool mornings.  Still not cold enough to put on Levis, but sitting on the patio waiting for the sun to come up is much nicer than it was.  No worries, I'm ever watchful for that pack rat trying to get back home after a late night out partying.  There's nothing worse than having something run over your feet in the desert.  Spider webs come in second since orb weavers are out in record numbers, laying their webs far and wide.

For those that missed the bat video because I posted it by mistake, here it is for your squeamish viewing pleasure.  One day when we were gathering cattle in the high country, I rode my horse up to an outbuilding ... an old shack actually.

There was a window there and I wanted to look inside.  Like the cat, curiosity almost killed me.  I raised up the board covering the window to see a flash of something fly into my face.  BAAAATTTTT!!!!  In those days we were told they carried deadly diseases and would kill you if they touched you.  I panicked ... kicked the horse and we both went careening off the mountain, me of course thinking the bat was stuck in my hair ..... which it was for about the first 50 feet before it extricated itself.

It's funny now, but it sure wasn't then.  I got yelled at for scattering the cattle, for lifting up the board and for eventually falling off my horse as he ran under that tree.  My horse and I survived, but bats instantly went to the bottom of my list.


I should have been much more cautious, like this beauty.  It's the only coyote that seems to be afraid of everything.  Most just wander through like they own the place.  This guy ... every time he shows up, he's very skittish.  He did finally have a nice long drink, but was constantly on alert.  He must be in someone else's territory.


I finally downloaded the full moon images.  Yes, I'm a little behind in that department.  I spent three hours yesterday trying to find an electrician.  Every time I'm sewing and the iron turns on, it dims the lights.  When the iron turns off, the lights come back up.  Plus I still have two outlets that don't work.  I'm still looking.


It was an amazing harvest moon as it rose among the clouds.


Talk about a perfect Halloween moon.  I could hear wolf man baying ... or maybe it was just my neighbor.  Sometimes I wonder about the noises coming from that house.


Patty and I made a trip deep into the heart of Tucson ... meaning it's about a 45 minute drive to the newest quilt shop.  I think they have been open for a little while, but must have gotten a new computer system.  It didn't matter when we were met at the door by this cutie.  She loved the pets and love she got from everyone, but eventually ended up behind closed doors.  


We picked up a couple bits of fabric, then were off for lunch.  Any trip deep in the heart leaves you wandering around at mid day ... Noon ... meaning LUNCH!!  

We stopped in at our favorite Greek restaurant, which is always full of people.  That means their food is delicious.  Here's the gyro salad we ordered.  This plate is HUGE, so we always order one meal and split it.  Still, it was too much for us to eat and I brought some home.  I even ordered a to-go box of meat only.  I could eat this stuff every day of the week, only I make tacos with it.  YUM YUM!


I spent the rest of the day loading up this quilt and trying out a new pattern.  It's always iffy ... you never know just how much thread to load on the bobbins.  


All that got interrupted again by the Pendleton Oregon rodeo.  Everything is completely different ... there's no squeeze to run the cattle through, they just push them down a ramp until you see them, then YOU run your horse down the ramp and end up in a grass covered area which is their football field, surrounded by a race track.  

It's well worth watching just to see the craziness, especially when a bull smashes their plastic fence and gets onto the field where all the contestants are standing.  It's a riot.  That bull went through them like a bowling ball.

This morning Mr. Chance is coming over with his backhoe to help me move all the trash I've accumulated to the curb for free pickup.  Nancy went a little crazy with her chainsaw on a stick yesterday.  Yes, I'm wearing my leather gloves this time.



13 comments:

  1. Bat in your hair...yucky. The last time I was on a horse, about 50 years ago, it went running through the Almond Orchard outside Modesto that my Aunt and Uncle owned...I bailed just before that low-hanging branch was about to hit me. (well, I think I was on a horse again a few years later at one of those ranches where they take you around for an hours ride)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh your new quilt!! I love everything Christmas! The salad looks so good! YUM! We've got some bats that come out at night here. I like watching them as long as they stay high LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree ... bats sure can fly fast and crazy .. and not hit anything! I just don't want them too close.

      Delete
  3. Mr Ed Your lights dim because you have too many outlets on one circuit fuse . An Because mobile homes come in Two parts they have a tendency to run more plug sockets on the fuse panel I wouldn’t worry about it too much but it might be worth your effort to consult electrician You could also buy a voltage meter inexpensively to see how much you draw just to give you an idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird that it hasn't happened before and I've used the iron for hours on end. All of a sudden, now the lights want to dim. I'd like to have an electrician check it out, but I can't find one who will come here. You know, the usual stuff.

      Delete
  4. Nancy, (1) ask your quilter friends if they know of an electrician; (2) if not, try your local Ace/True Value Hardware store who they recommend; (3) which Greek restaurant did you have lunch at? The Greek restaurant we go to in Tucson is on Broadway near Swan; (4) what is the name of the quilt store...we have several quilters at the SKP Saguaro Co-op. Last year we went to Benson Lumber and asked for an electrician. They gave us a list of who does what (electricians-painters-plumbers, etc). We called the electrician and TOOK forever him to return call...needed fans installed. He finally came & expensive. This year we had an outlet problem. Called the electrician again, twice, and no returned call. Said something at our happy hour and internally, had two that were able to help....on time and reasonable...considered handyman. Lynn Cross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, you guys were lucky. I'll ask at Ace and see if they have someone. So far, no calls back either. We went to Opa's ... I think you've been there before. As to the quilt store, it's Cactus Quilt. It closed for awhile, but has now opened under new ownership.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the restaurant. Yes, have been there before. David hates the place so he orders American dishes. I will pass the Cactus Quilt store on to quilters at Saguaro. Lynn Cross

      Delete
  5. Hey, If I was down that way, I'd check out the electrical thing for ya. Sounds like a good challenge.
    Bobseyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not so good at challenges ... but I know YOU are!! Maybe next time you are in the desert ....

      Delete
  6. Oh now, I think you are pretty good at challenges as you attempt a lot more stuff than most people do. Electrical is mostly out of a cowgirl's league and most other people can't handle it either.
    I hope to be in the desert sometime after the first of the year and if all goes right, during the monsoon season too,
    once I figure out what to do with my chickens.
    Darn chickens are tying me down and I have to do something about that this winter.
    bobseyes.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup those critters definitely need care. I had the same problem with horses. Now I just take the two kids I have left with me everywhere I go! A pain, but doable.

      Delete