Sunday, September 18, 2022

Just Hanging ....

 Temperatures are really cooling off in the desert.  It's a lovely 68 degrees this morning as I sip my cup of Joe on the patio.  The coyotes are calling like crazy, greeting each other after a night of checking out the local restaurants for dinner.  

That will perk up Cooper's ears for sure.  He always has something to say to them.  Probably something like don't come here, the snacks are terrible.  That's because he's absolutely crazy about the latest chicken pot pie treats I found and doesn't want to share them with anyone!

It was going to be a lazy day of smoking ribs.  But first ... let's admire the lawn full of dandelions.  At least I'm really good at growing something!  Every year they get thicker and thicker.  There's nothing I can use to rid myself of this little pest while I have a pooch in the house.  So once again, when I leave, I'll spread the love on the ground (weed and feed) and hope for the best.


These beauties have almost become pests.  They are absolutely everywhere, especially loving my screen door where they can catch insects from the yellow night light that they say doesn't attract bugs.  Yes it does.  Which reminds me, the front night light has to be cleaned out since THAT yellow light attracts more bugs than you can shake a stick at.  


On to the ribs ... first off, dragging that smoker from the shelf in the garage all the way around to the back yard is a chore, but easier than the one at the other house.  Yes, I love smoking meat so much I have not one, but TWO smokers.  

This one is different however ... it's a Masterbuilt, which means you do everything by hand.  Mostly anyway.  You can set the temperature and the hours it stays on, but other than that, you are on your own.  Instead of compacted pellets of hickory, you use actual wood chips which must be soaked in water ahead of time.  

Those are put in a little gizzy that dumps them into the smoker where they SHOULD burn, providing that delectable hickory flavor.  Here's the problem ... things don't burn without air, meaning you are supposed to remember to open the air vent on top.  On my other smoker, you CLOSE the vent.  It's always a guessing game to try and remember the steps.

Sadly, I didn't bring any Pig Powder ... the best flavoring in the West.  This new one I picked up at Ace Hardware (who has probably 100 different kinds) wasn't my favorite.  Pig Powder is now on order.

Sadly, I didn't get ANY pictures.  These are the last ones I made in California.  Hey, smoked ribs are smoked ribs, right?  The latest version went over to the Chance household for dinner.  We "smoked" them in short order.  Just like that, they disappeared.  


There was a caveat to my providing dinner.  You know I rarely do that since my chef hat always seems to be lopsided on my head ..... they had to turn on the Pendleton Roundup Finals so I didn't miss a beat.  Our timing was perfect ... bull riding!!  

Too bad absolutely NO ONE rode their bull.  They always save the worst bucking bulls for the finals, meaning no one could hold on for 8 seconds.  Surprisingly, no bulls ran though the fence this time.  It seems this year the rookies won first place more than the old hardcore guys.  

Back home I entertained Cooper for an hour or two.  This is the game ... he runs off with the ball so I have to chase him.


Here's three visitors from the last time the camera worked.  For the last two nights I haven't gotten a single video.  It finally dawned on me the batteries were dead, even though it said they were 100%.  This camera uses "photo" batteries (which I didn't have) and the regular ones only last one night.  

Having a setup that I could monitor would be nice, but my internet connection here is very limited.  Even the best DSL isn't all that great.  Maybe if StarLink or someone gets a satellite up there at a reasonable price I will be able to monitor the critters.


As of right now, I have five places I would love to put a camera ... maybe I just need to buy another one.  I'm pretty sure the deer are coming in at night and feeding on the quail block.  Then there's the poop wars out front, the coyotes out back and of course let's not forget the lovely bats and rats!!!

So today I'm heading off to Walmart in search of batteries.  But first ... I've had a thorn in my hand for a week that just doesn't want to leave me.  It's one of those so tiny you can't see it, even with a magnifying glass.  So very annoying every time you touch something.  Time to find the pumice stone and remove a layer or two of skin, and hopefully the thorn with it.


9 comments:

  1. Place a piece of duct tape over the thorn and leave it for a few minutes, then carefully remove the tape. That worked for us when we lived in Arizona among the many thorny things that would reach out and grab us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh ... excellent idea. I even have some gorilla duck tape!! I'll try it!

      Delete
  2. Mr. Ed said put meat tenderizer on the thorn it’ll draw it out.. look online for a solar game cam or a solar wireless game cam don’t have to deal with batteries. Upload it to your lap top or tablet instead of your phone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your game cam Order it from Amazon If it doesn’t live up to its hipe they have a liberal return policy

      Delete
    2. I'm with Mr. Ed on this one. Upload to the laptop with wireless. My cam is way out there a ways, so I use a network wire to it, instead of wireless, and it puts it on a control program on my computer. You can watch multiple camera's this way. I'm using a Reolink indoor one in my chicken pen but they do make ones for outside. Mine is also what they call PTZ, point tilt and zoom from my computer so I can move the camera to follow something or just look at another view. The field of motion detection is also adjustable from the computer program. So much to learn, eh.
      Bobseyes

      Delete
    3. Don't you have to have an internet service to upload wirelessly? Or a phone service? I mean I can print wirelessly, but I have to be connected to the internet. My internet connection is a MiFi that will not upload videos without costing a fortune.

      Delete
    4. No, you only need a wireless system to upload to a computer. It goes from the cam to the computer through the wireless and doesn't need to go through the internet. Most internet systems have a router that has wireless. The only thing is the router has to be on for the wireless to work, but you don't need the internet.
      Bobseyes.net

      Delete
  3. Marcia (Greek Heritage) was raised on harvesting and eating Dandelions. Here is a website you might want to visit if you are interested. It is a spring and fall delight, I am told....(yuck!)

    www.farmanddairy.com/top-stories/how-to-harvest-and-use-dandelion-roots-leaves-and-flowers/656605.html

    My Blink Cameras use two Double A Ultimate Lithium Batteries (Energizer brand) ... suppose to last a year or two depending on how often you do a live view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I don't think I want to eat dandelions the frogs and tarantulas have wandered over! LOL. My camera uses six lithium batteries, which usually last a year. Don't know what the problem is this time.

      Delete