Wednesday, September 14, 2022

I AM NOT A PIG!!!

It's time to CELEBRATE!  It's 68 degrees this morning and the desert is cooling off.  I'm not exactly celebrating the very early morning coyotes at my bedroom window since I stayed up WAY past my bedtime watching the Finals of Extreme Bulls.  Each contestant got to ride four of the meanest bulls I've ever seen.  Highest combined score wins.  Man those bulls can buck!!!  My fav Stetson Wright won his first Extreme Bulls.

All the while, Cooper slept on the couch.


He has to be touching my legs .....


And the day before too ..... do you see a trend here?  It's how he gathers the strength to play the ball game for three hours every day.


Snorts require a quick run to the window with camera in hand.  There are three here vying for drinking space.  In case you were wondering, do NOT call them pigs.  They and the surrounding community will be highly offended.


There is an order of drinking.  Surprisingly, the kids are always allowed food and water before the adults.  Though they resemble pigs, even more so the wild pigs of California, they are not related.  These are javelinas, otherwise known as collared peccary.  They usually gather in groups of ten or so, fiercely defending their territory with 2" long canines.


I had to look not twice, but three times to see there are FOUR in this little conclave.  They have a stinky scent gland on their back which they rub all over trees and rocks to mark it as their own.  They look harmless, but can be very aggressive, so it's best not to get close unless you are in your truck.  I guarantee you cannot outrun them.  Fastest running things I've ever seen.


You can really see the "collar" in this video.  They mostly eat grass and green growy things, but have been known to eat squirrels, rats and anything they find dead.  Yuck!!!  


In an effort to SEE better, I thought I would trim back the bushes by the game camera.  It's a good test of whether I'm still alive.  Yup ... blood still comes out, so I'm okay.  I'm not sure what's on the cactus around here, but it always causes lots of pain, swelling like you can't believe and the loss of use for two days.  MAN THOSE HURT!!  


I wrapped it up tightly and finished sewing the borders on this quilt.  Definitely not my favorite, but it does say southwest desert.  


There's a new quilt store in town, and just like a new sheriff on the block, we had to go see who they were and what they had to offer.  Patty and I took off yesterday morning and headed deep into the heart of town.  It's actually about a 45 minute drive, only made possible by Safeway's discount fuel.

It's our job of course to check them out and report to the masses.  We do it so you don't have to.  I'll report on that tomorrow ... including our recent test of Greek food.  In the meantime, I've already got a rat trap to reset.  The joys of desert living!!!  I think the days of rain are almost gone.  Time to map out the next adventure.

10 comments:

  1. Great video of the javelinas and there seem to be quite a lot of them. Ouch to your thumb. You need to get yourself a decent pair of leather gloves to do those trimmings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit I have a nice pair of leather gloves ... but since I was using a shovel, I didn't think I needed them. I was wrong!

      Delete
  2. Mr Ed …

    Javelin better known as a Peckary / Skunk pig. You won’t find many around the Indian Reservation so See if you can catch a younger one and eat it local Indians favorite ways to cook javelina is to season it as you would any other meat and throw it on the grill. It's lean, so it will cook quickly and makes a flavorful steak. It's also good in AJIACO, A JAVELINA STEW and makes a tasty Navajo / Mexican chorizo. They’re most popular down in the Yucatán /Peru an yes Cuba If you have a meat stew give it to you on an Indian reservation don’t ask what’s in it
    If u want the recipe let me know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ummmm no thank you, I will pass. I did have wild pig once ... that was enough!

      Delete
  3. There are quite a few javelina hunters (junters?) in AZ in February, isn't it? I think I have asked them about the meat, but now I forgot what they said!

    I have always "heard" about the aggressiveness of javelinas, but have never observed it in the field.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen them fight amongst themselves, but haven't had one chase me .. yet!

      Delete
  4. I have been surprise that my motorhome camera is picking up a family of Raccoons coming and going between 4 and 5 am on some mornings. Thought they were cats at first, but finally saw it was Raccoons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that fun? It's surprising the critters that roam around at night. Hope you don't run into any skunks!

      Delete
  5. Great video and pictures. In the past I've thought of hunting them. Stalking through the bush with my bow and arrow trying to outwit them. But in all our hikes in the desert we have yet to see one. They are either less frequent than we thought or more elusive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit I have only seen them near towns. Probably because that's where green lawns and water fountains live. I don't think I've ever seen one in the "wild" so to speak.

      Delete