Saturday, September 3, 2022

Let The Water Flow ...

 As I slug down my morning cup of Joe in the Arizona desert, I'm looking at the current weather in California and smiling.  It's only in the 90's here and my solar is adding up points as I type.  This means that when I'm there, I'll have free power.  For the time being anyway, that overpowers the scorpions.

Mr. Chance says even though I do have a pest control service, being gone for so long this time let the critters come closer to the house, some of which have gotten inside.  I now carry my tongs like a six-shooter ... in my pocket ready to fast-draw!!!  AND I'm taking Gail's advice and getting some diatomaceous earth.  Thank you Gail.


It was really early when I headed out on this day.  Apparently galvanized containers don't last all that long, although I think it's been over 5 years.  The bottom of this was completely rusted, making it easy for little javelina toes to poke holes and drain all the water out.  

I really felt bad when I saw all the quail down there looking for water and there was none.  So off I drove to Green Valley for the second day in a row, to Tractor Supply.  It's actually faster to go there than to navigate the huge city of Tucson.  

They are cheap at $20, so I bought two.  Maybe I'll set up another one, or just have a spare.  Then the problem became how to get it out since it was basically glued to the soil.  As much as I always thought the desert was sand, it is not exactly that way here.  It's probably more rock than sand, making it a little difficult to get this one out.  I pulled, tugged, dug and even used a screwdriver down the sides to loosen it up.


The good news was the shade provided by the lovely palo verde tree.  Next up ... get the pipe fitting out.  Of course I called Mr. Chance to help with that, thinking it had to be cut and re-glued.  I was wrong.  He took a screwdriver and popped it right out.  

It took us forever to drill a hole in the side of the old one, so I decided to just lay it on top and surround it with rocks.  I'm hoping the javelinas will leave it alone as they have for the last five years.  

Next up ... I covered the bottom with flat rocks so little toes wouldn't damage it and turned on the water.  YAY!!!  All the critters big and little have water again.  Its automatic to fill ... once a day the sprinkler station comes on in one line that runs down the hill to fill the tank.


After VERY carefully checking where I was walking, I set up the critter cam again.  This video was from the day before.  Funny how they are so intent on that one bush.  Must have been another coyote family leaving their scent ... or maybe it was the deer that passed by.


These guys always make me smile.  I could use more critters like this and less of the creepy kind.


So as I sat here typing, I looked up to see a big spider ... well relatively big ... about an inch wide ... crawling up the wall.  Good grief ... do I have LOVES CREEPY THINGS stamped on my forehead?  The worst thing happened ... I swatted him with the flyswatter and he completely disappeared.  The great white hunter instantly went on high alert.  

After grabbing the flashlight to see better, I finally found him closer to my feet than I am comfortable with.  He is now DEAD DEAD DEAD ... and extra dead when I stepped on his little carcass.  I suppose it does get my heart racing, cleaning out my veins so I'll live longer!!!

Hopefully today will be a relaxing quilting day ... after I grab my chain saw on a stick to trim up the big tree outside.  THAT will be fun!!


10 comments:

  1. Thinking a coating or two of a sealant, like a rubber sealant, on the inside of the water tub would keep it from rusting perhaps?

    A happy spider is a dead spider.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Dave ... I'm pretty much in the same arena when it comes to spiders. Sealant is probably a good idea.

      Delete
  2. Good job on the water tank and the spider. The world is now a better place thanks to you killing that creepy spider!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about the world, but my HOUSE is a better place.

      Delete
  3. There is a Tractor Supply in Benson....may be closer than Green Valley (?) Lynn Cross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know Lynn ... I never thought about going to Benson. I'll check the distance. Thanks for the heads up!!

      Delete
  4. Good job on the tank but it might be wise to also line rocks along the edge so they don't poke through the sides.
    Next step will be to add Solar to this house.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole thing is like a Fort Knox of rocks. They certainly are diggers.

      Delete
  5. Don't forget Vail has a really nice and big Ace Hardware. At least I think there's one in Vail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there is. It's doubled in size and I LOVE going there. I didn't think they would have this particular trough, but next time I go, I'll take a look see.

      Delete