Saturday, September 17, 2022

Bowling For Cowboys

 I'm running late this morning.  Between the trains and my overactive brain, I just couldn't get up.  At least I wasn't running from mean bucking bulls like these guys.  For those who don't have Dish Network and the Cowboy Channel, here's a few shots of the bowling alley of the Pendleton Rodeo in Oregon.

I suppose metal fences are too heavy to move into place, although I've seen it at other events.  This plastic PVC fence just doesn't hack it when it comes to wild, MEAN bulls.  

Here's the thing about mean cattle ... and they come in all shapes and sizes from calves to cows to bulls.  If you stand perfectly still and don't move an inch, they will usually go off after something ELSE that moves.   At this rodeo, there is lots of fence moving by lots of people who don't know that fact.  No doubt they have all signed waivers to be on the inside grounds.


When the bull came running by, the contestants sitting there didn't move an inch, sitting perfectly still like statues.   The photographers and fence people jumped back or stepped back, causing the bull to charge.  Even the slightest movement will do it.  Obviously the fence is just a weak suggestion.


The cowboys were there waiting to rope the bull, but they can't run into the crowd either.  Cowboy bowling pins went flying in all directions.

Again ... should this ever happen to you ... DO NOT RUN!  Worst case, fall on the ground in a fetal position and put your hands over your head.  You might get rolled over by their head, and maybe stepped on, but you will most likely survive.


Don't try to run away like this photographer did unless you can turn circles like the bull fighters do.  By the way, the bull fighters were running as fast as they could to the bull, along with the pick up men.


They just couldn't get there fast enough before this poor guy was thrown into the air.  The bull smashed into one horse, almost knocking him over before they could get a rope on him.  It took three men on horses, all with ropes on this guy to pull him out of the arena.

This wasn't even the first incident, nor was it the last.  Three bulls went right through the fence like it was nothing ... which it was.  Hopefully next year they will have something a little more sturdy.  Remember ... DON'T RUN ... FALL DOWN AND PLAY DEAD.  Getting rolled over is better than flying through the air like this poor guy.  You never know when this may happen to you!  


Okay, I admit I was laughing ... yelling DON'T MOVE at the television ... but in the end, it wasn't a laughing matter.  Amazingly, no one got hurt and all walked away to do it again when the next bull got out.  

To celebrate the end of the bull riding, I ran down to Arizona Pizza Company and picked up a large yummy pizza.  This is of course enough to last me two weeks.  Their price has gone up, like everything else, but if you have the magic word of the night, you can get a $7 discount.  Not too bad.


After checking the game camera yesterday, I've decided I probably need two.  There's lots of stuff going on around here.  This is my front walkway.  You can tell I live on a hill, since everything on the left goes up.  I don't spend much time out here except to check the rat trap.  

It was sprung and the peanut butter gone.  But WAIT!!  I almost stepped in it!  It appears the poop wars have expanded their territory to the front.  I won't regale you with pictures, but now there's a big pile on the walkway.  So last night I set up the camera this direction to see if anyone stops by.


I forgot to bring in the hummingbird feeder the night before and it was completely empty in the morning, even though I just filled it up.  THIS time I remembered, but it will be the sight of the next nighttime videos.  

Although I'm still looking for an electrician, my next project is painting the back concrete block fence where the previous owners left chunks not covered.  Apparently they couldn't reach around the oleander bushes.  My chainsaw on a stick made quick work of them, but now I have to paint.  

AND I have some ribs in the fridge looking for a warm place to hang out for the next four hours.


12 comments:

  1. Yeah, I think i'd be happy in the stands, rather than taking my chances with a bull LOL...The pizza looks yummy! Ribs sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the very least I would be standing at the corner closest to the chutes! That's a little too much excitement for me.

      Delete
  2. Mr Ed. If you like your cotton candy grapes you might like the wine that they produce… Schiava … is a light-bodied red wine (like Pinot Noir) with aromas of cotton candy, strawberry, bubblegum, and lemonhead candy. The wine is delicate and light in color. And it’s best shared with friends so if you drink a glass every time the train goes by you’ll have new friends

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's a new one. I've never heard of it. Guess I'll have to look it up.

      Delete
  3. My cowboy years started on foot, no horses, but then we got dirt bikes which was a blast rounding them up. I was ok with those big animals, but. When the guy got a few buffalo, the bull slowly showed me what being buffaloed meant. :O) The good old days.
    Bobseyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure dirt bikes and ATV's are the horses for gathering cattle. I see them used a lot nowadays. I would think buffalo are MUCH worse than bulls!

      Delete
  4. Hi Nancy,you might consider acquiring security cameras like Bob has in his chicken pen- then your computer can monitor the critters when there’s movement.Save you a lot of aggravation & no batteries to worry about.All the best,A James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would LOVE to do that, but my internet access is pretty limited by the cell phone tower. Most days it's not great even when it's really good!!

      Delete
    2. My cams work through the router and don't need the internet. I use the laptop as the picture is much larger and the software easier to use, but the cell phone can also be used on the wireless. You should already have a router for your internet that the signal would go through, but it doesn't go through the internet.
      Bobseyes.net

      Delete
    3. The only thing I have is a tiny MiFi that I turn on and off as needed. Not sure I can use that as a router, but I will check.

      Delete