Friday, September 2, 2022

Keeping Score

I'm sipping my morning cup of caffeine, but not out on the patio.  There are too many creepy crawlies for that pastime.  After last night, I can feel them crawling on me all over.  The javis are nothing compared to having something crawling up your arm, or your leg.

It's not so bad when the sun is out, as most of the critters around here prefer the dark of night.  I have two big praying mantises outside my door, taking part in the nighttime buffet of bugs and moths.  They are just too cool.


They take on the color of whatever they are hanging on to.  In this case, the brown screen.  It's mating season, so occasionally you see a smaller male with it's head chopped off.  Yum!!  No really, she eats his head and he dies.  


Here's what I'm keeping score of .......

Scorpions:      0               Nancy:      3

I opened the sliding back door and this guy fell on my foot.  That was a tap dance I don't want to repeat.  Man I hate these guys!!!  I grabbed my heavy flashlight and smashed him twice.  Nothing.  He ran off into this corner.  I hit him a couple more times and only succeeded in squashing his tail.  At last I remembered my trusty TONGS!!  They work perfect!  I snatched him up, squished him good, dropped him on the concrete outside and SMASHED HIM AGAIN!!  


It gives me the creeps just LOOKING at this picture.  The problem is they are practically indestructible.  There's no chemical spray out there that will kill them.  Twenty minutes later I found ANOTHER one in the laundry room.  I don't know how they are getting in.  I've sealed every hole in the floor I can find, and checked under every door.  I hit that one so hard I dented the floor.  

The third one was in the garage ... so technically doesn't count, but he too went over the bridge!!

With my adrenaline flowing nicely, it was time to head back to Green Valley to the new quilt store.  Yes Patty and I stopped in there last week and met the very nice owner, her husband and their two big pups.  Boy does she have the talent of picking fabric.  

I got the fabric for this Beneath The Western Sky, but forgot to get backing.  If you don't get it NOW, it won't be there LATER.  


But first ... lets go look for some shirts that are not covered in holes.  Nothing ... they had nothing.  I know I'm an old lady, but I don't like old lady clothes.  So off I went to Popeyes for a chicken sandwich.  This made me completely forget all those scorpions!!  BEST chicken sandwich on the planet.


Oh look .... beignets!  CHOCOLATE beignets!  I decided to try them ... you know, so I could report on whether they were any good or not.  Well ... they aren't exactly puffy and I think they have chocolate chips inside ... but they did finally disappear by 7:00 last night.  Waste not, want not.


I purchased the fabric I needed and then some ... pictures later ... and got home in time to finish up this quilt.  I love this longhorn pattern, but it doesn't work on most quilts.  


A quick walk outside just before dark ... to be sure I could see any javelinas ... found my water station empty.  What?  I went back up to the house and turned on the water, filling the trough.  Twenty minutes later I looked out and couldn't see the water level.  That's not good!


Turns out the javies sharp little hooves have cut a hole in the bottom.  Why they have to STAND in it is beyond me.  It was completely empty.  So today I'm headed BACK to Green Valley to get another container.  Maybe I'll get two so I'll have a spare.  This ought to be a fun fix!!  I'll also put pavers in the bottom so it doesn't happen again.  

To finish out the day, I was sitting on the couch snuggling with Cooper when I felt something on my foot.  I froze!!  I'm not kidding, my worst fears came true.  I looked down to see something, but I couldn't tell if it was a big spider, a scorpion or something else.  CRAP!!!  

If I move or swipe at him, he'll sting me!!  I slowly lifted my foot within arms length and used the TV control to swipe him off.  Talk about an adrenaline rush!!!  He ran under the table, but I was finally able to step on him.  I grabbed the tongs again (which I now leave on the coffee table) and discovered it was one of those potato bugs.    A very DEAD bug now.


Arizona is a love-hate relationship!!!  




14 comments:

  1. Ewe, hate it when a bug crawls on you late at night. Back when I was around 20 I awoke one night with something 'large' crawling on my arm. I froze, knowing that it 'could' be a black widow. My arm is along the wall and suddenly it falls. I pull out the bed and find a damn cricket. How the heck does a cricket get all the way upstairs? Flush it down the toilet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr Ed I think you need to take a Valium washer down with some Tillamook ice cream…. It seems you have a Bug 🕷🦂🦗🪳anger issues…. Would YOU like to talk about it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right!!! I definitely have bug issues.

      Delete
  3. I would go to Home Depot and get some Home Defense and spray inside and out then get some Diatomaceous earth and sprinkle it at all entrances and garage. I too live in an area with lots of Scorpions, javalenas, snakes and other crawly creatures and doing this has helped me. You live in a more isolated area than me so hopefully it would help you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gail ... I'm definitely getting the earth. Sadly, I have a service that sprays around the entire area once a month. I'd hate to see it if I didn't have everything sprayed!! LOL

      Delete
  4. Ah, the lovely scorpion. It's been raining a lot, right? I have a tale about scorpions after big rains, but I won't tell you. Even now, when I think about it, I shiver. If my husband hadn't seen the same thing, I would figure I was getting real life confused with a nightmare. Maybe the invasion won't last long. I hope not. I really really do not like them. Though I must say, I never ever saw a cockroach in the house during my scorpion years. Nor any other insect thing or spider, etc. Shiver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a big aversion to things that sting! You're right .... I'll have nightmares for sure if you tell me. I imagine the rains have brought them in, along with the gazillions of flying things. I don't want to mention anything else or they will come in the house for sure!

      Delete
  5. Those are some huge scorpions! I would much rather put up with them versus a tarantula. Those potato bugs are certainly odd looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scorpions are around 2 inches long here. At least the tarantulas stay OUTSIDE!! As for the potato bugs ... crazy looking creatures. I also have them in my garage in California.

      Delete
  6. Out of all the little creepy critters, I hate scorpions the most, mostly because they are just there. They don't make any noise. We have them around here but they mostly stay outside and mind their own business.
    I've always thought it would be a good idea to be down that way during the monsoons to check out all the wildlife that comes with the rains.
    Keep your eyes peeled, :O)
    Bobseyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spiders and scorpions get my attention most. I have a big aversion to creepy crawlies I guess.

      Delete
  7. Tell us again WHY you left a nice home with solar to
    “vacation” in a hot bug , javalina, snake infested
    home?? Not trying to be unkind but I don’t get it.
    I worry about scorpions with your Jonathan or Cooper.
    Don’t leave your shoes on the floor .
    I’ve heard a monthly spray man could help.
    Prayers🥴
    Linda a.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well .... there are good things about being here. Right now the temps are in the low 90's. In Cali they are 110-111. So there's that!! I do have a monthly spray service, but of course it doesn't bother the scorpions at all!!

      Delete