Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Watch Where You Step!!

Another nice quiet morning sitting on the patio in the dark ... except for sound of the train whistles, but I love train whistles.  Somehow it's better than loud music, people screaming and barking critters.  People ask why I would go to Arizona in the summer.  Here's a pretty good reason.  These are the current temperatures in my home town.   


These are the current temperatures in Arizona.   You wouldn't expect this, but for the most part, it's always cooler in Arizona.  Weird, right?  


So bright and early at 6:00 am, I was outside fixing the leaky drip line.  I got it repaired and tested in no time, after doing a crazy imitation of Elvis Presley when that spider dropped on my head from the bush above.  I wasn't about to let THAT happen again, so I got out the pruners and went to town.  


An hour later, I had things pretty ship shape, but you know what happens ... you see another branch ... and another branch.  I kept it up for over an hour before heading down to get the game camera.  Sorry for the blurry picture and the decimation that followed.  

Every time I walked down the path, my legs were covered in spider webs.  I know spiders eat the flying bugs, but after the fourth or fifth time, I was beginning to feel creepy crawlies all over my legs.  The spider has now gone over the Rainbow Bridge and my pathway is web free.  I can still feel things crawling on me, but hopefully that will disappear soon.


The coyote couple are back in beautiful form.  It was rather interesting to see one of them go over and lick that big rock.  I'm not sure what he smelled, but it must have been tasty.  I love seeing these guys.


On the way back up the hill, be careful where you step.  This is the one inch tall entrance to a tarantula den, all decorated up for the female of his choice.  Or maybe SHE did the decorating.  This may be where my other friend came from.  


Do I always watch out for rattlesnakes?  Yes I do.  It was ingrained in me as a 4 year old.  When the outhouse is sitting near a rattlesnake den, your parents put the fear like no other into your little brain.  Basically, I never walk anywhere without my head down, because one day as we were hiking to a good fishing spot, I forgot.  My dad screamed at me to FREEZE!!!  I think I've told you this story.

I stood there literally with one foot in the air ... frozen solid.  If I had put my foot down, I would have stepped on a rattler.  He was on the other side of a branch I was stepping over.  My dad shot the snake (we were never without a gun), and I was able to put both feet back on the ground.

Then we did the fun thing ... he picked it up on a long stick and I carried it back to the cow camp.  We had rattlesnake for dinner.  Now I watch every step Cooper and I take.

I however, MUCH prefer an egg asparagus quesadilla for breakfast OR dinner.  I felt like the day had passed me by, but it was only 8:00.


Here's one of the donation quilts I've been working on.  Apparently I was supposed to leave the wide backing on ... but I cut it off.   Hmmmm there's nothing to bind the edges with.  Patty, my quilting buddy, went with me to Joannes for material.  We also went to a new quilt store in Green Valley, but that's a story for later.  Trying to make this go fast, I actually sewed the binding on with my machine instead of by hand.  It came out pretty nice ... and only took an hour versus 6 or 7.  


Then I started on this lovely colorful number.  I know these are donation quilts, but using cheap fabric from the Goodwill store, backed by even cheaper thin sheets from the SAME store, just hits my sharp, off key number like no other.  Add to that the fact that the blocks were not square, made it hard to quilt.  I did get it done, while trying hard to remember the thought that went into this.


Dinner came as a wonderful surprise ... an invitation from the Chance household for Dan's famous STEW!!  I'm telling you, NO ONE makes stew like that guy!  I devoured it in record time.  So fast in fact that I didn't even get a picture!!

Today I'll be back on the quilting machine.  I think I'll do one or two of my own before tackling another sheet demon.  

Remember to keep your eyes on the ground and watch where you step!



16 comments:

  1. That turquoise quilt looks pretty good to me and perhaps the smaller edging is even more suitable for it. Good job on the drip line. I do not want to eat rattle snake, ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It tastes like chicken ... no kidding. Thank you for the nice quilt comments. These are all made by someone else, I'm just doing the quilting.

      Delete
  2. According to the "Nextdoor" group (nextdoor.com for those not familiar with it), there is a small pack of Coyotes wandering about 2-2.5 miles from our condo...the Ferrel Cat population is dwindling (and there are reports of missing pet cats and one dog too). One lady took a blurry picture of them...animal control does not want to deal with them. (Don't look for my name in NextDoor, I use an alias.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting. Coyotes are good in my book ... Around here they mostly eat rabbits.

      Delete
  3. I watch everywhere I walk here in NV! Wish we had your temps this weekend, ramping up to be the hottest weekend yet this summer and we've got lots of company coming :( Love both of those quilts!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that ... it's going to be toasty, that's for sure. Try to keep cool!

      Delete
  4. Our neighbor killed a 4' rattler the other day. We are above 5,000' and are not supposed to have any yet there they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes!!! They do get big in the mountains. I've seen them up to 5500, so I'm not surprised they are there. Watch your pups!!

      Delete
  5. Never tried rattlesnake but would like to. Fortunately, here in central Illinois, rattlesnakes are very rare, so I can look down at my phone instead of the walking path. Both those temperatures are beyond my comfort zone. Mid eighties with humidity here keeps me indoors during the heat of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug, the next time I find one, I'll freeze the meat for you to try! LOL

      Delete
  6. Since the Tucson - Vail area is high desert it should be cooler. I never thought of Tucson as high desert until just a couple of years ago. Tucson approximately 2400 and Vail about 3200. I was surprised!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly ... we are up quite a bit higher, so the temps here are less than Tucson. Yuma ... now that's LOW.

      Delete
  7. Elva….. In southern Arizona If you want colder weather in the Summer or snow in the winter time you only need to go as far as Sonoita, Arizona Elevation there is even higher 4800 feet.
    Dont tell anybody but Mount Lemmon has a ski resort in the winter time

    I was thinking about something earlier today when you said you go out and retrieve your game camera why not find a pawnshop and trade that camera for a Wireless unit they are not expensive you can set the sensitivity through your phone and any pictures will come to your phone delete the ones you don’t want keep the ones that you do right from the comfort of your outdoor ☕️coffee recliner. and the batteries do last a long time their range is about 60 to 70 feet so it’s not a unit they can be spied on or hacked no more trying to wake up Mr. hissy snakes 🪱Or Mr. tarantula 🕷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of that, but I use my phone so much every day, they eventually slow down my downloads.

      Delete
  8. Ewww! I can't imagine walking on, around or near any of those critters! We don't have them here and yet i still watch where i walk carefully.
    Beautiful quilts, love the colours of both.
    Lucky to have suppers made for us!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's a shot in the dark what you will find ... especially at night!

      Delete