Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Rainbow Bridge, Rainbow Bridge .......

 It's a not-so-cool morning at 77 degrees while I sit in front of the fan.  Perfect critter and snake weather.  I don't mean to poke fun at the Rainbow Bridge ... many of my pets through the years have passed on ... all of whom I hope to see when I do the same.  

But wait .... do you think all those OTHER critters go there too?  Just a crazy morning thought in the desert.

I spent the first part of the morning working on one of MY quilts.  This one has a new hummingbird theme.  Not that I'm any great seamstress, but this one was SO much easier to quilt than those others.  I love the new pattern.


I was surprised to find the game camera full of daytime images.  Unfortunately that means I can't upload but a portion of the video.  It's set on high res to capture the night critters.  Daytime, it just records too much data and blogger won't let me upload much.  

Not the solitary javelina of a few nights ago, this time it was an entire pack.  Looks like the babies are half grown already.  Needless to say, they drained the water by the time they were done.  Not long after this group came another even bigger gathering ... I counted seven in all.  Nice to know they are doing well.


In no time the Chance household picked me up for an afternoon movie.  TOP GUN!!  Apparently it was so good that Mr. Chance wanted to see it twice.  There are no pictures from the movie, since they are all well protected.  I copied this one off the internet.

If you haven't seen this movie, you should.  What an edge-of-your-seat feel good GREAT movie.  Of course it helps that Tom Cruise is still a hunk.  I would have guessed him to be 40 something.  He's 60.  Yup, that was a shocker.  His girlfriend in the movie could stand to gain a few pounds ... 89 is not a good number.  If you've been around the Mojave desert, you may even see a few things you recognize.  I'd watch it again.


Back at the Lost Horse Ranch, I needed help moving a huge agave from my front yard.  This is not it ... I don't have a picture of mine, but this is what it looked like.  They get a weevil at the base that kills them.  Talk about heavy ... these things weigh a ton.  


I grabbed a pair of gloves for both Dan and I, and we attempted to lift it into the wheelbarrow.  It took some doing since every one of those leaves is hard as a rock and edged with razor sharp thorns.  This was my arm when we got done.  Nailed by an agave.  Two things here .... one, I still bleed a lot of red blood, and two, I seem to heal up pretty quickly.  Although sore this morning, it looks much better.


When I walked back inside, I instantly spotted THIS!  Rainbow bridge ... and another ... rainbow bridge ... and one big moth at the door ... rainbow bridge.  Sorry, but these critters give me the heebie jeebies.  They are not trainable and I wouldn't know what to feed them!


That's when I noticed poor Cooper sitting in the middle of the living room floor, shaking like a leaf.  Goodness gracious little guy ... what's wrong?  My ears quickly detected the culprit was a beeping smoke alarm in the bedroom.  I'm not sure why pups are so afraid of that beep, but Cooper was frozen to the floor.  

I quickly grabbed my ladder and replaced the battery.  All better now .... or not.


Cooper refused to go in the bedroom come bedtime.  Back and forth we trotted ... well mostly I carried him ... trying to make everything okay.  At way past my bedtime, we crashed on the couch.  Of course that didn't change his get up time of 4:30.  

There's more weeds to pull this morning and more quilting to be done.  There might even be a ghost town or two in waiting, I'm just not sure when I'll get there.   Time to check the game camera!!  I hope everyone stays cool ... it's going to be a hot one this weekend.



16 comments:

  1. Awesome javelina pictures/video! I don't think I have ever seen one in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well then I have an adventure for YOU guys!! Hope Barb is feeling better.

      Delete
  2. Looks like your best unleaded price is around $3.25, about a dime lower than ours...but nearly $1.50 less than Citrus Heights. I am filling up the motorhome today 'just in case' a storm comes near us...if that happens, off we go before the big rush to get out of town. Can't wait for more Ghost Town stories. And BUGS don't have a Rainbow Bridge, they have a Rainbow Gulch, where they disappear for good! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea, filling your tank. And even better, it's close to the house for a quick getaway!!

      Delete
  3. Saw Top Gun: Maverick here in the Star Valley area a couple of months ago. Wonderful flick. Since it has been 30+ years since the first Top Gun, I wondered if it can still be seen on TV. Well, I searched and found on Paramont + it was showing. So I recorded it and played it back later. Both great movies. Really enjoyed and the theatre was full. Lynn Cross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved both of them Lynn. Edge of your seat movies!

      Delete
  4. Mr. Ed …. If you got a large TV with surround sound you can watch top gun two Top Gun is streaming on Paramount+ and Netflix. You can also rent it on Amazon Prime, Apple TV and YouTube The best part You can pause it and go potty But don’t forget to wash your hands an get the popcorn on the way back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may just have to do that Ed. Both were great movies. Except then I'd miss out on the popcorn.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Yes ouch! I just discovered yesterday I have three more punctures under my wrist! LOL

      Delete
  6. Dolly and I haven't been to see Top Gun yet. Currently, we don't want to be away from sweet Fergie that long. Yuma is deathly afraid of the fire alarm too. Love the javelina video. Those Agave plants can be dangerous and they can bite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny about the beeping alarms ... how dogs are so afraid of them. See that movie when you get a chance ... it's good. Love to Fergie.

      Delete
  7. What IS that thing with the blue abdomen?? I have never seen anything like that. I don't like the rest of it either. Well, I'll try to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know it's official name, but we call them potato bugs. They get twice the size of that one, but don't bother anyone ... or so they say.

      Delete
  8. I can't find it. It looks kind of like a scorpion on the front half.
    I think they do fluoresce, but geez.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I even find those in my garage in California. Usually night critters I think. Look up potato bugs.

      Delete